main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin have beaten Mace

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by uwishuwereme, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Here, let me help with the saber rankings (and we can pretend like they matter[face_mischief] )

Page 133, The Making of ROTS.

"On Attack of the Clones, I had to give them levels," he (Nick Gillard) said, "Sidious is a level nine [out of ten]. On this film, Obi is eight - he's moved up - Anakin is a nine; Mace is a nine, Yoda is a nine. They're up there with Sidious"

No darth-sinister jokes, please.

Lando: "I'm just trying to help!"

2. MASTER_JEDI

MASTER_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2001
    Sidious has strength in the dark side, but his saber skills need work. I believe also that Anakin is as powerful as Sidious, but his knowledge of the Force is limited, and that's what gives Sidious, Mace Windu, and Yoda the edge over Anakin.

3. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    yes I had heard of the levels, but I did not hear of Sidious's level. Thanks for the info!

4. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    His saber skills need work? He killed three Jedi at about the same speed that Jedi kill battle droids. He did lose to Mace, but he's a level nine, as said by Gillard and that means he's up there with the top three. He fights Yoda to a standstill as well. Maybe you're refering to the choreography in that infamous scene...

5. MASTER_JEDI

Aug 22, 2001
    Actually, I'm not. I'm referring to how rusty and average he looked when he was fighting Mace.

6. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    there was a little rust there, I will give that much! but then I remember the making of ROTS and Anakin is going to 9 to be greater than all Jedi, as Obi is an 8. Does that mean that the Sith reach 9 and 10? I know that you said Yoda and Mace were at 9? thoughts?

7. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, that's the scene! We were both talking about the same thing. He does look rusty against Mace, but then again, Mace doesn't look like a bolt of lightning either...

8. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    but he does not take a bolt either, till Anakin cuts off his hand! And that power alone blowes away Mace!

9. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Tell me about it.

"UNNNNNLI-MI-TED POWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

10. MASTER_JEDI

Aug 22, 2001
    Palpatine looked like he was struggling against Mace. He wore about eight different facial expressions during that duel and I laughed because it looked so comical. YES, it's the same scene, but not the same instance. I'm totally talking about the Sidious-Windu contest only.

11. TheDarkSideAreThey

TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    Storyline aside, Anakin would not beat Mace one-on-one. True, Anakin taps into the darkside to gain power, but Mace does as well. Mace's Vapaad is a borderline darkside fighting style, he's only mastered controlling himself and it is that control over the darkside that gives Mace a distinct edge. Anakin had yet to master his emotions although he had significant power. Dooku underestimated him, which was his downfall. Mace would not. He was wary of Anakin to begin with, so I think Mace would've taken Anakin very seriously and would eventually bait Anakin into making a grave mistake.

12. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    I disagree,
    Anakin has just as much a chance to beat Mace as Mace has at beating Anakin. I could easily see Anakin handling Mace just like he did with Dooku. Not to mention that the OS says that Dooku had beaten Mace. On top of Anakin being as focused on Mace as he was on Dooku with the satisfaction of defeating a top master of the council looking him in his face.

It is however possible that he would bait Anakin into making a mistake. But IMO, Obi Wan is the one of the only if not THE only one who could bait Anakin like that. And I don't think that Anakin would be in the same mindset as he was when Obi wan defeated him.

Besides, baiting someone into a mistake sounds like the complete opposite of Mace Windu's character. It much more likely to be a power vs power lightsaber duel. And when it comes down to it my money is on The Chosen One.

13. windu25

windu25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Dooku beat Mace in practice, at best just before TPM, most likely the fight happened way before that, before Mace had hit his prime as a Jedi. Dooku also displayed fear at how Mace easily took out Jango in AOTC. It was as though Dooku thought Jango would defeat Mace. He saw that Mace's skill had grown and his look of fear told me, he was glad he wasn't standing in front of Mace on the arena floor.

By the time of ROTS there are only 4 level nine characters and Dooku isn't one of them. If Mace did fight Anakin it could go either way.

One last point I'd like to make is some people love to bring in EU to try and show a weak point about Mace - but they cry foul if someone uses EU to show how powerful this character was.

14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Anakin may have very well defeated Mace. I agree that the way he manhandled Count Dooku was too impressive to overlook and consider the fact that Dooku always beat Mace when they sparred together when Dooku was in the Order. Cin Draggilic was an exteremely clever and skilled swordsman and apparently Anakin ran right over him. Anakin is not to be underestimated. Was Palpatine right when he told Anakin that the Jedi were afraid of his power? Maybe so.

I wish the confrontation between Anakin, Sidious, and Mace would have ended somewhat differently with Anakin blocking Mace's lightsaber instead of cutting off his hand. It would have been very interesting to see.

15. TheDarkSideAreThey

Sep 24, 2004
    Dooku bested Mace before he left the order, true, but that could have been before Mace mastered his style. Speaking of his style, Vaapad appears wreckless on the surface, leaving Mace's center open most of the time, almost asking the opponent to take a stab, only to pay the price. So on the contrary, baiting is exactly Mace Windu's character. Not doubting the Chosen One's power, but I think his arrogance would have gotten the best of him.

16. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    Master think of the ways of the sith, look at his expression, that is "lusting for the kill" looks to me! And the way he fights is so rare!
    Juggalo
    Mace could not have taken Anakin........he just ain't got that kind of power!

17. TheDarkSideAreThey

Sep 24, 2004
    Sidious couldn't beat Mace after cutting down 3 other Jedi Masters in quick fashion, no disrespect, but he was beaten saber-to-saber. Mace had him beaten. He only feigned defeat after Anakin showed up. Going with the belief that Sidious himself would mess Anakin up, that makes Mace even more powerful in my eyes. Chances are Anakin would end up losing yet another limb.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with Anakin's plight like everyone else, but his overconfidence in his power was his problem. In the words of the immortal Master Yoda, he was wreckless, and he likely would have payed for it.

Dooku in ROTS was ready for retirement and really believed he was fighting a staged fight. He had to take Obiwan out and test Skywalker. If Skywalker did get the best of him, he'd be granted amenesty and and 1st class ticket into retirement. He thought he could toy with Anakin and Anakin's power caught him off-guard. Dooku's overconfidence, like all other Sith, in his power was his problem. The point is that Anakin with all his power and promise, would have likely fell at the hands of a Jedi Master, not due to his lack of power, but to himself. Case and point, Mustafar.

18. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    Man Sid was bringin Mace into a trap of all traps, and he knew this. Sid knew that Anakin would not wait for the end! That is when the lies came out. To fake his weakeness, thought he was the Sumpreme Sith master at the time! No my friend. Mace had no chance no matter what!

19. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    theres no way Dooku is an 8, if Kenobi is an 8.

20. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    Dooku could be a 9, but Kenobi os no more than an 8. Why couldn't the be an even number? Do you see something that makes Kenobi, or Dooku stronger?

21. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    the fact that Dooku beat Kenobi so easily twice makes me think he is bit stronger.

22. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    ok , then Dooku is barely a 9 then. But then how did Kenobi an 8 beat Skywalker a 9? makes your brain fart just thinking about it, thought it had to happen no matter what in order to complete the final outcome!

23. TheDarkSideAreThey

Sep 24, 2004
    I?ll give you that, Sidious did lure Anakin back. He knew he wouldn?t stay away. So I?m probably giving Mace too much credit, but I involved the storyline and I started this off with the storyline out of the way. One-on-one I do think Sidious would take Mace, but Anakin would not. At their primes however, I think Vader would overwhelm just about anyone.

24. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    Mace is a master. I will give you that. He crushed the lunges of Greivious, with a force crush. That is HOT and I do mean it!

25. TheDarkSideAreThey

Sep 24, 2004
    Anakin lost to Kenobi only because Kenobi managed to out-whit him. Anakin dominated the fight, but Kenobi put Anankin in a bad position and even warned him not to. Anakin beat himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.