main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Anakin have beaten Mace

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by uwishuwereme, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    Could Anakin have beaten Mace?

Yes, if he was focused he could.

2. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    He would be focused fighting anybody but Kenobi, alot are saying Anakin is so unpredictable, AOTC was, but ROTS, Anakin was not at all except with Kenobi, he was obviously very conflicted about fighting his mentor, and his only friend. All those jedi he killed even though we did not see it and Dooku, he was very focused and effective, to say the least.

3. angelicusdiablos

angelicusdiablos Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    agreed, i think people base anakins potential far too much on the kenobi deul [face_shame_on_you]

4. JawaStew

JawaStew Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I agree with JoshuaVance - I think Anakin would have won, even while letting his emotions overtake him (as they certainly would have done, with Padme on the line).

He loses to Obi-Wan because of one ridiculous choice made out of supreme arrogance - not because he is relying on his passion. It's all Obi-Wan can do to survive against Anakin until that moment - Anakin's fury is giving him strength. This is the Sith way and the seat of the Dark Side strength.

Of course, we all know had it come to this, Anakin would have won because of plot necessities - but I think Anakin near the end of ROTS (particularly having let himself entirely into the Dark Side) is really already slightly beyond all other characters' abilities) - he is injured as he is nearing his apex. I'd put my money on him against anyone (at least, taking Force powers out of the mix).

5. DARTH_FIRE

DARTH_FIRE Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Palpatine to Anakin: "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi"

Therefore he hasn't achieved it yet.

Palpatine to Yoda: "You will not stop me. Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us"

So I guess he's not more powerful yet. He has the potential at this stage. And since Sidious couldn't beat Mace without a little outside help, I'd have to say that Mace would have beaten Anakin.

6. JawaStew

JawaStew Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Right, but that likely takes into account overall Force mastery too.
    Anakin's young, strong and I think in a straight out duel, he would take anyone at the end of ROTS. Sidious or Yoda would have defeated him using Force powers probably, Mace isn't clearly shown command great Force powers, although they're likely at least very strong considering his status.

7. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005
    o_O it seems to me some people have a tough time accepting mace got served...

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

...likewise Anakin

9. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    yeah but by palpatine...we are discussing anakin/mace here.

the fact that anakin cowardly attacked mace doesnt mean he defeated him

10. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005

[face_shhh] haha touche, touche my freind.

11. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Anakin,most of the time, is foucoused.He has been fighting a war everyday for 3 years.He has plenty of expierence.Obi Wan even says how much Anakin has grown and matured since the start of the Clone Wars.Most people say Anakin is an emotional wreck all the time... That isn't true because If you thought your best friend and wife who is carrying your unborn child had just betayed you.You would be pretty messed up to.Alot of people say Obi was holding back because he didn't want to fight Anakin.But Anakin didn't want to fight Obi either,in the book he even give Obi a chance to leave.Just look how calm and collected he was on the invisable hand.People think it is only when sidious give Anakin the advice that he starts to win.But Anakin and Obi were both holding back according to the ROST novelization.

12. Master_Obi-One

Master_Obi-One Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2005
    Yes, Anakin could have beaten Mace. Mace may have been more powerful in the force, but I think Anakin was faster with a blade.

13. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    "Anakin is the most powerful jedi the order has ever known ."-Dark Lord Book.

"Anakin has been established as the most poweful jedi ever."- Nic Gillard

"This is Anakin Skywalker, the most powerful jedi of his genaration,perhaps of any genaration.An Unbeatable pliot, an unstopable warrior:eek:n the land in the sea or in the air,there is no one even close.He has not just power, not just skill, but DASH, that rare invaluable balence of boldness and grace.He is the best there is at what he does, the best there has ever been,and he knows it."- ROTS Novelization page # 25

"Skywalker is arguably the most powerful jedi ever, and he is still getting stronger."- Mace Windu- ROTS novelization page # 152

14. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Sure he could have. But would have? Possibly, but no certainly. Mace was no pushover. He overpowered Sidious.

15. maxwell1234

maxwell1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2004
    It's a silly thread title. OF COURSE Anakin "could" have beaten Mace.

Mace "could" have beaten Sidious if Anakin hadn't shown up.
    Yoda "could" have beaten Sidious if he'd got back up and kept fighting instead of running into exile so bloody easily.
    Anakin "could" have beaten Obi-Wan if he had maintained control and not become so overconfident.

The real question is "Would Anakin have beaten Mace?", to which we can only speculate on.

I would tend to say YES, he would have, because I think Anakin was already a more talented and powerful Jedi than Mace. Anakin's anger would have served as a strength against Mace and not become a weakness like it did against Obi-Wan because there was no real personal attachment.
    Anakin felt a LOT of emotions during his fight with Obi-Wan:

*He had been convinced by Palpatine that the Jedi were evil
    *He convinced himself that Obi-Wan turned Padme against him
    *Obi-Wan was like his father and he felt betrayed by him.
    *He needed someone to blame because he wasn't ready to deal with his own actions.

Anakin's personal attachment in the Obi-Wan duel was a weakness. His anger and hatred was his strength (as it is for all Sith), but that attachment (and feeling the loss of that attachment) resulted in Anakin's desperation to destroy this betrayer and his overconfidence in the face of his opponent's words.

Anakin had no such attachment to Mace, so Windu wouldn't have got the opportunity to exploit Anakin's emotional turmoil and cause him to make such a fatal mistake from overconfidence. Mace would have put up a fight, but ROTS Anakin would certainly have won IMO.

16. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    First of all: I don't think that Anakin hated Mace as much as some would like to think.

Secondly: to think that Anakin was more powerful than Mace is absurd! Perhaps he was faster, but that doesn't matter too much. Look at how fast GG was... didn't do him any good vs OBW! It's about concentration, power and experience... and I think Mace was the better all-rounder!

17. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    "could" have ?? of course

"would" have ?? not certain ,i think the odds are with mace.

18. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    But...you already said Anakin had would win...back on page # 2.[face_thinking]

19. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Hope you're not referring to me? I would never say "had would win";)

But otherwise I would tend to agree with Sithrules. There is always the chance of someone winning against a better opponenet, but it's non the less unlikely!

20. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    mandalore.i said that is not impossible that anakin can beat mace and that if anakin can defeat sidious(wich is very possible) then he "could" deffinitely defeat mace

but

"would" he do it ??

im not so sure

21. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I think what Sith is saying and what I agree with is
    Anakin had the potential to beat Mace, Sids etc..
    but could he keep his focus and hold himself together
    emotionally enough to do it, who knows.
    IMO I doubt it during ROTS which is evident in how he lost to
    Obi-Wan.

22. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    yep,he definitley could do it if he fight like vs dooku but even if we still need to consider that mace is a superior fighter than dooku

23. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    Mace is not a superior fighter than Dooku. Dooku = superior swordsman and combined force user.

Back on topic, Anakin had the potential to beat Mace no doubt. Whether he could have done it is another question entirely.

I would give the advantage to Mace at this point.

24. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    Mace is not a superior fighter than Dooku. Dooku = superior swordsman and combined force user.

evidence ??

25. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    Well, unfortuneatly we have no direct evidence of either assertion.

But some incidental evidence:

1. Novels say Dooku beat Mace more than once in a sabre fight.
    2. Mace may be a Jedi master adept at using the force, but so is Dooku and he is also a master of the dark side. In my mind that makes Dooku more versatile.
    3. Mace's fighting style draws on the dark side. What good is that against a Sith Lord whgo is ALL dark side? Given that, it boils down to sabre proficency. Mukashi is the best sabre on sabre style in form and practice.

That is not to say Mace couldn't defeat Dooku, but I think Dooku has the small advantage. Dooku wins 6/10 duels with Mace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.