main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Creatures Wild, Creatures Tamed~~ Obi-Wan/Anakin adventure fic, pt. 9, updated 11/30

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediShampoo, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediShampoo

JediShampoo Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 2000
    Title: Creatures Wild, Creatures Tamed.
    Author: JediShampoo, with much plotting assistance from Arco.
    Time: Oh, a year or so pre-AOTC?
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Yoda, a few OCs here and there.
    Rating: PG-13, for possible violence much much later on. No romance. Darnit.

Summary: As a favor to Master Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin go on an investigation. As the mystery unravels, things may get a little out of hand.

Author's notes: This is going to be a pretty long one. It's not done yet, and I already have forty pages. I usually don't post stories until they're completed, but I'd like some honest commentary on the story. How's the writing? The pacing? Is it going too slow? Or do you, like me, think the most fun things to read are the little tidbits of Jedi life, and the conversations and character interactions between Obi-Wan and Anakin? BE HONEST, I can take it, and I will love you for it. :)

ALSO!! This is all 3rd person limited POV, with with many parts written from Anakin's point of view-- and he's not my usual character. If you are an Anakin devotee, please tell me if I got the characterization and/or POV correct.

Disclaimer: Any licensed characters or places do not belong to me, but to George Lucas. Saura Vell'hyr appears courtesy of Arco.

Creatures Wild, Creatures Tamed.

?There it goes, Anakin! Get it!?

?I?ve got it!? eighteen-year-old Anakin called back to his Master, and spurred himself on, faster. His longer and younger legs had outstripped the other three Jedi on this wild early-evening chase through the city, and he was first into the dead end where the weird creature cowered, its oily black fur hugging the V-shaped corner of two opposing skyscrapers. The giant quadruped arched its back and vocalized as Anakin neared, hissing ?mwoom-mwoom? in a voice like a machine.

Wary, Anakin slowed his approach. The behemoth?s posture-- the bowed pinnacle of its spine rose nearly to the height of Anakin?s head-- coupled with its almost metallic growl-- spoke to Anakin of extreme displeasure. Its long, hairless rope of a tail waved arcane messages into the air, and tiny claws sprang from its webbed toes to dig purchase into the street. The gaping rubbery-lipped mouth contained no teeth, but the creature?s sheer size demanded caution.

Anakin snaked calming tendrils of the Force from his outstretched fingers, but they rolled off the animal?s hide like water from a well-oiled boot. The young man found it beyond frustrating. He half-wished he could just pull out his lightsaber and hack the huge beast to pieces, but they?d been ordered to capture the creature, not kill it.

Anakin wondered, though, how they could capture something they couldn?t even lay hands on. It was exceptionally fast for its size, and squirmy in an insane metaphysical sense?repeatedly it had slipped through the fingers of the Force directed at it, and by four Jedi, no less. If Anakin wished to subdue the creature, another strategy was in order. He took a deep breath and prepared to throw himself on the beast, hoping to flatten it and keep it still for the few moments necessary to let his Master and the other Jedi catch up.

Another mournful ?mwoom? escaped the creature?s throat, and Anakin could sense its muscles bunching, tensing for a jump, so he leapt first--

Anakin?s fingers scrabbled in the empty dirt, and a loud crack heralded the sudden meeting of his head and a duracrete wall. Tiny white stars performed an obscene dance across the blackened stage of his vision. He distantly felt hands grasp his armpits, hauling him upright.

A flesh-colored blob swam through the dimness, eventually resolving itself into the blurry and worried face of his Master.

?Are you all right?? Obi-Wan asked.

?I didn?t get it,? Anakin mumbled.

?I see that,? Obi-Wan remarked, raising one hand to probe gentle fingers over Anakin?s battered scalp.

?I?ll be fine in a moment,? Anakin said, shaking his head both to clear it and to dislodge his Master?s h

2. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Cool title!

And a very interesting post!

3. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Hey, TK, Thanks!

Leviosa!
    :)

4. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Interesting! Good start.

5. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Dally, Thank you!

BTW, I will try to update at least once a week. But that means I have to write faster. <g> I have at least 20 more pages written but damn, sometimes it's slow going.

:) JediShampoo

6. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    OK, here is part two of this story. The plot thickens...

Later, cleaned of twigs and scratches and dressed in fresh clothing, Obi-Wan and Anakin made their way through the hallways of the Temple, in answer to a summons from Master Yoda.

The hour was late and the Temple was quiet, most of its inhabitants lulled into restfulness by the dimming of artificial lights long after the natural setting of Coruscant?s sun. Cool breezes swam languid paths around pillars and through the cavernous hallways, and the only sound that echoed about the two Jedi was the quiet clip of their own boots.

Master Yoda had requested their presence at this odd hour in the old Temple Prison, buried deep below the surface. It was a relic of a less civilized era. Of himself and Anakin, only Obi-Wan knew the path, for he had visited the prison level once before, with his own Master.

Qui-Gon had shown him the antique cells, which were clean, but imbued somehow with suffering that had seeped into the walls a thousand generations ago. He?d explained to Obi-Wan how the prison had fallen into disuse, and the Temple Archives, a place of peace and learning, had been built above, as if in an attempt to overwhelm the sad taint of ancient injustice.

Obi-Wan remembered seeing a few desultory and elderly droids patrolling the halls, keeping the area tidy and free of insects, but even this evidence of modern technology had not been enough to stave away the sinister chill that had grabbed Obi-Wan?s spine at beholding the old prison.

?Were they used for dark Jedi?? the fourteen-year-old Obi-Wan had asked his Master in an awed whisper.

?No, my young Padawan,? Qui-Gon had chuckled in his gently ironic way. ?We must not forget the blood that was spilled in the building of this Republic. I believe it was used for political prisoners. Dissidents who opposed the ruling powers, who of course held some sway with those very early Jedi.?

?But the Jedi have never answered to the politicians,? Obi-Wan had objected with youthful scorn.

?How I wish that were true,? Qui-Gon had replied, sighing as if suddenly weary. ?Never forget history. It is doomed to repeat itself whether remembered or not, but knowledge is a valuable tool.?

?Yes, Master, I understand,? Obi-Wan had replied, not understanding at all.

Twenty-one years later, at Obi-Wan?s side, his own apprentice was uncharacteristically quiet as they moved through the darkened Library. The overhead lights had been dimmed, and the night sky through the windows favored the room with naught but scant cityshine. Row upon row of shelves, stretching to a point in the distance, glowed a murky, ghostly turquoise from the holo-texts in their powered cradles. The night-duty Archivist glanced up at them with mild interest as they passed, then returned wordlessly to his studies.

Only when they were enclosed within the round, white walls of the Library?s service turbolift did Anakin seem emboldened to speak.

?I?ve never seen the Temple Dungeons before,? the young man said with a self-conscious grin, hazel eyes flashing with a guilty pleasure. ?I?m sort of looking forward to it.?

Obi-Wan gave his Padawan a Look. ?They?re not dungeons, Anakin. Just old cells.?

?No skeletons??

?Not a one,? Obi-Wan replied in a dry tone. ?The droids would have cleared it away long ago.?

?Too bad,? murmured Anakin. Then the expression on his young face sobered. ?I wonder why they took the creature down here? Why didn?t they just send it off to the animal protectorate, or something??

?Hmmm. I don?t know,? Obi-Wan said. He turned a stern look upon his Padawan. ?I?m sure Master Yoda will tell us, if he wishes.?

?Yes, Master,? mumbled Anakin.

The turbolift stopped, and they exited into a cobble-walled hallway. Obi-Wan was surprised to find the area well-lit, as opposed to the darkness he?d encountered on his last trip down here. The triangular electric sconces set in intervals along the walls glowed

7. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    *pops in* So Kristen, this is what you?ve been up to ;)

Everyday whilst flickering through the fanfiction pages, I see ?Ani/Ami? this and ?Obi/OC/Sabe? that - it?s nice to see a fic stepping outside the norm. I don?t know how many times I?ve wanted to read as to what Anakin and Obi-Wan were up to prior to AoTC, without going out and buying the books.

Now, onto the story ? wonderful work! I love your writing style, and in way in which you weave your characters. I can?t believe no one has commented on your characterisation, and the likeness of your text to the novels. That first section sets the scene for what is to come, and when Anakin responds with ?Jedi Business? you actually made me chuckle.

This is an absolutely delightful read ? and so easy to get into! I?m in on the reading party for this one.

Am [face_love]

8. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Wow, Am, thanks so much for the kind words. I have really tried to make this one decent, so I am appreciative of your encouragement.

Trying to only post every couple of days, so my posting doesn't catch up with my writing too soon. :)

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    This is great! I love the premise--a GFFA version of the "escaped pet alligators who live in the sewers" story. Your first post was both tense and faintly hilarious--not easy to pull off.

Just about everything about this story is extremely well-crafted, including characterization, writing syle, OC names . . . my only complaint was that the POV shift between ch. 1 and ch. 2 threw me at first. I got over it. :)

Some great "eyeball kick" lines:

alarming the citizenry by upsetting food stalls and surprising apartment dwellers through open windows with its foot-wide, rubbery grin.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! [face_Home Alone]

In the sky, rose and blue fought with vermilion and orange, armies of color melding like a fantastic battle tapestry in the sky,

Gorgeous. :)

His fingers caught a limb and he tucked and curled, rolling into the tree?s waiting grasp like a cannonball.

Again, efficient and very visual. Brevity is the soul of action scenes.

The overhead lights had been dimmed, and the night sky through the windows favored the room with naught but scant cityshine.

I cannot say how much I love this line. I think I will have to steal the word "cityshine."

The beast lay inside, its black, muscled limbs relaxing on a ridiculously soft-looking, gaily flowered mattress that had been dragged inside.

I got a huge kick out of the flowered mattress. :p

The concept of the Temple dungeons is interesting too--I kinda like the dangerous edge it puts on the Jedi.

This is the coolest story I've seen in some time. ::Hits "Bookmark"::

10. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Wow, that is wonderful praise, indeed, especially from someone who is a fantastic writer herself.

::waves fingers:: You will all go read Ophelia's adventure story, look under her signature...

Update later today...

11. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    (Hmm. Thought Anakin's eyes were blue, not hazel? ;))

This looks to be a fun fic - I don't normally go for action/adventure stories, but I'm curious as to how this one's going to play out in relation to the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship: the humorous bits between them were some of my favorite moments in AotC, and the light humor touches speckled throughout here just add to the enjoyment of the fic. :) Looking forward to reading more.

12. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Hmm. Thought Anakin's eyes were blue, not hazel?

Well, I had troubles with that. Jake Lloyd's eyes were definitely blue. Hayden's appear to be green. So I compromised. <g>

Thanks so much for your kind comments, Alderaan21!

OK, going to copy and paste the next part, I swear...

13. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Chou-Chewz Spa did its business in the heart of one of Corsucant?s corporate districts, on the top floor of UniverSync, an exclusive high-rise. The spa?s clientele was not the rich and famous, although many of those types had passed through the fabulously expensive real-wood doors into the establishment?s luxe interior.

Chou-Chewz catered to their pets. And the owners made cargoloads of money doing so, because on a world as varied as Coruscant, anything that smacked of privilege was eagerly sought out by the upper class. Chou-Chewz offered DNA profiling of all new clients and kept an extensive and very scientific databank of established ones, promising meals and grooming tailored specifically to the fluffy, bristly or scaly little darlings of the wealthy.

Obi-Wan and Anakin entered the ground-floor lobby of UniverSync to find it much more crowded than the skyscraper they?d dashed into last night, on their mad yynca-beast hunt. Sharply-dressed beings of all species and genders milled about in a capitalist trance, networking, or strode from one point to another, carrying documents and looking very important.

No one stared at the two outright?Jedi were not a novelty on Coruscant. But people watched them, nonetheless. Obi-Wan could sense eyes in singles, pairs and quartets sliding their way, wondering what the Jedi were doing here, of all places.

Obviously Anakin could sense the silent scrutiny as well. Obi-Wan could almost feel the sneer growing on his Padawan?s face.

?You know what they?re thinking?? Anakin asked in an aside to his Master, and not as quietly as he could have. ?Who?s in trouble now??

Obi-Wan didn?t turn, but he let his brows rise infinitesimally. ?Can you blame them?? he asked in return, in a low voice. ?Jedi don?t usually spend a lot of time getting to know the bankers and the financiers. Perhaps we should. They are the real power in the Republic now, you know.?

Anakin rolled his eyes, but didn?t offer a reply.

Obi-Wan hadn?t really expected one. Anakin?s feelings on the subjects of economics and politics were quite clear. He mostly didn?t care.

Once, in his younger days, Obi-Wan hadn?t cared either. He?d just assumed the Republic was infallible, and its agents, beyond reproach. His present cynicism regarding the powers that be, he supposed, was an inheritance of Qui-Gon, who had been so liberal as to be an almost-radical amongst the ranks of the conservative Jedi Order. Obi-Wan had seen too many of his late Master?s dire political prophecies come true to discount the truth of what the Republic?s ancient government had become.

But their mission today was not political change. It was something even more important, in his mind. It was a special request from Master Yoda, who was a power that Obi-Wan did respect.

He and Anakin crossed the crowd to mingle with a group of beings awaiting a turbolift. As if by unspoken agreement, the throng of busy executives parted to allow the Jedi to enter the next available lift, unimpeded and conspicuously alone.

They exited the turbolift on the Spa floor and stepped into a wide, bare reception area. The walls and floors shone perfectly white, top to bottom, their monotony broken only by a gleaming and massive black desk situated at the far end of the room. It blocked an elaborately carved wooden door. As they crossed the expanse, their boot heels clicked on the bleached marble floor with a pleasing acousticity that bounced gently from wall to wall.

Behind the desk sat an amazingly attractive, olive-skinned female Twi?lek, dressed in an impeccable cobalt-blue suit and wearing an impeccable expression of disdain. Her eyes and lekku barely flickered as she registered their Jedi apparel. A tiny, polite smile curled her lips, but her dark eyes remained cool as the two approached.

?Welcome to Chou-Chewz, gentle sirs. I am Onira,? she voiced in a pleasing, musical Basic. ?How may I assist you??

?Hello, Onira,? Obi-Wan said, forcing a wide smile and digging into an inner pocket to retrieve th

14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Of course it wasn't silly!

Another good audio/visual:

As they crossed the expanse, their boot heels clicked on the bleached marble floor with a pleasing acousticity that bounced gently from wall to wall.

I also like smoldering!Anakin and oh-so-cool!Obi-Wan. Like James Dean and James Bond . . . [face_love]

15. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Like Dean and Bond, huh? Mmmmm, nice visual there, yourself. :)

Thanks for the kind comments, ophelia!

16. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Yes, it took me forever to update, but hey, did anyone notice? <g>

PS Anakin fans--this is all Anakin's POV. Did I do him all right? He's not my usual subject.

Anakin led them back through the crowded lobby, keeping an interested eye on the bankers and businessbeings. This time the glances that followed them were distinctly relieved. ?There?s just no respect for the Jedi,? he grumbled.

His Master didn?t answer, but reached into a pocket to hand Anakin their speeder?s code-key. Anakin felt cheered almost immediately. He?d been itching to get behind the control stick. A little drive was just the thing he needed to repair his standing in the universe, after spending time among the likes of Onira and the bankers. Those people controlled the money, yeah, but Anakin controlled the skies.

?Did you memorize the address?? Obi-Wan asked, nearly spoiling this generous gesture.

?Of course,? Anakin scoffed. Did everything have to be a lesson?

?You?ll live,? Obi-Wan said.

Anakin decided not to ask what his Master meant by that. In silence, they located their speeder in their garage. Anakin made a show of jumping in, then waited in some impatience while Obi-Wan made an equally deliberate show of walking around to step in correctly.

No sooner had Obi-Wan?s passenger door clicked shut than Anakin gunned the engine. He flew in reverse the entire way out of the garage, at a speed that was definitely illegal and probably reckless to boot. Anakin glanced aside at his Master as he performed this stunt.

Obi-Wan stared straight ahead. He didn?t so much as flicker an eyelid.

Very well, then. Once outside, Anakin engaged the aft thrusters and lifters simultaneously, sending them into the blue sky at an almost vertical climb. The old, clunky controls of their government-issue speeder found new life under Anakin?s controlled and expert grip, and, as if to please their new master, the engines reached a velocity its creators had probably never envisioned.

Anakin glanced aside. Obi-Wan?s hair whipped around his bearded face, but his expression remained impassive.

It was only when Anakin pulled an audacious traffic merge, screaming in from below to usurp the miniscule brake-space in front of a commercial passenger liner, that Anakin got a reaction from his Master. He glanced over, ignoring the screech of air brakes and curses directed at them from behind. Yes, Obi-Wan was definitely gritting his teeth, and the knuckles that gripped the passenger-side door were as white as snow.

?You were jumping over buildings higher than this last night,? Anakin pointed out, a smug non-sequitur.

?We all have our limits,? Obi-Wan replied shortly.

Anakin settled his driving to normal traffic speed, making a silent promise to himself to behave for the rest of the trip. He circled until he found the correct building, which was conveniently labeled ?CirrusVue Tower? in giant letters on top. Anakin wafted the speeder down to settle on the roof.

?I don?t believe this is the approved entrance, Anakin,? Obi-Wan pointed out as he exited the now-quiet speeder. His legs barely shook at all, Anakin noticed.

?I was tired of riding in turbolifts.?

They found the rooftop door. Obi-Wan fiddled with the door panel for a moment, laying his fingers against the buttons and flipping invisible electronic tumblers with the Force. The door slid open without an alarm, and they started down a gray-metal stairway. They only had to descend one floor.

They exited into a paneled, burgundy-carpeted hallway. They were not alone. A door mid-way down the corridor stood open, and beefy beings dressed in workmen?s clothing emerged every few seconds, huffing and carrying bits of furniture. They moved in a steady trail towards a bank of turbolifts situated down at the other end of the hall.

?You be careful with that! That?s expensive,? a shrill female voice called through the door, following the workers.

Anakin shared a brief look of bafflement with his Master, t

17. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Sheesh!
    Leviosa!

18. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    This is an excellent story, JediShampoo. I laughed when you ended your first story post with an exhausted Anakin saying, "Jedi business." [face_laugh]

Your story is filled with fun, amusing stuff like that and...

Anakin saw boxes, even more workmen, and, more importantly, the second astounding female of the day. :)

You're doing a great job with Anakin's personality, making him fun and likeable, just like the story overall. This is a really cool detective tale, if I do say so myself. ;)

Keep it going, I'm sticking around for the whole thing. :D

19. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
  20. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Hey, thanks so much, K_A! You are too nice.

Wow, been a week since I even logged on to these boards. Guess I better update this story, huh? <g>

::going to read over the next part, make sure it's fit for posting::

21. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    A very short chapter here...two chapters, in fact, because they are so very very short. :)

But despite Anakin?s driving, the two Jedi were too late to catch Senator Villabec. They arrived at the Galverry system?s offices to be greeted by a protocol droid, who informed them politely that the Senator, and all his aides, had returned to Galverry for an extended leave of absence.

?Well, that?s that,? said Anakin, as they watched the droid shut the door on the empty office.

Obi-Wan stood quietly for a few moments, apparently thinking. He didn?t look at Anakin, but crossed an arm across his chest and lifted a hand to stroke his beard. Anakin recognized it as a gesture that mean Obi-Wan was unsure of their next step.

Finally, Obi-Wan spoke. ?No, I really don?t think that?s it.?

?Well, what else can we do?? Anakin threw his palms out in exasperation. Detective work around the capital was fun, but Anakin, for one, didn?t want to fly out to a mid-rim planet to investigate a mere exotic-pet smuggling business. What little of he?d heard about Galverry and its main city made it sound like a desert backwater. As for the rest of Maripa?s story regarding the Senator?s activities, he discounted it. It was probably a lie she?d concocted just to cause trouble for the Senator. ?We found where that animal came from. Let?s just go and tell Master Yoda, and we?re done with it.?

Obi-Wan?s grey eyes held a note of censure as they looked up at his apprentice. ?Anakin, do you seriously think that Master Yoda would send us on an errand, a personal errand,? he said, placing an obvious emphasis on the personal, ?if it was not vitally important??

?I don?t know,? Anakin said. And it was the truth. Anakin never quite knew what Master Yoda expected. He had great respect for the ancient Jedi Master, but it was a respect practiced from afar. Obi-Wan seemed to find great comfort in Yoda?s company, but Anakin had spent relatively little time with him. In his limited experience, Yoda asked for things, and never gave an explanation for them, and never stressed the significance of one over the other. Except when it came to discussing the dark side of the Force, well then yes, Yoda was quite specific and serious. But Anakin didn?t want to bring that up with Obi-Wan, at least not now. This situation, he thought, was a minor matter. ?I didn?t think Master Yoda had personal errands.?

?He doesn?t.? Obi-Wan stared hard at Anakin as if disappointed with his apprentice?s obtuseness. ?I?m surprised you didn?t notice. Your connection through the Force with the emotional state of other living beings is exceptional. Much better than mine, in fact. You remind me of Qui-Gon that way, sometimes.?

Anakin felt himself warm a little at Obi-Wan?s words. Rarely was his Master?s praise so specific. It loosened some sort of honest confession from Anakin?s brain and sent it tumbling to his tongue. ?Notice what? Master Yoda is never emotional. He just?looks at me, sometimes. Like he?s searching me. And asking questions I can?t answer. I never know what he wants.?

?You?re focusing on the negative again.? Obi-Wan sighed, but his gaze softened, as if he had finally begun to understand Anakin?s confusion. ?Something bothered him, Anakin, about that yynca-beast. Think about it. And he has asked us, specifically, to help him out. With something he wants done quietly. Don?t you think that shows an enormous amount of trust? In you, as well as me? And anything Master Yoda asks, I am more than happy to do for him.?

Anakin thought about it for a moment. It was true. Yoda?s trust had been placed not only in Obi-Wan, but in himself as well. And not by default. The invitation to both of them for the meeting in the Temple Dungeons had been quite specific.

Anakin trusted Obi-Wan?s superior experience in this matter. If Obi-Wan felt it was important, then Anakin did as well. ?You?re right, Master,? he said. ?So what do we do??

?That?s the problem,? Obi-Wan sa

22. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Haven't got time to say much. Just popping in to let you know I'm still reading. :D

23. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    All right, another not-so-large part, but it was fun to write. Thanks to the TFN online encyclopedia for information about ships. :)

Obi-Wan led the way to Hangar 4E, although he was pretty confident that Anakin already knew the direction and had indeed probably been there many times, getting a look at the ships.

Situated just below surface level, Hangar 4E was where the Jedi kept ships that had been captured on various missions over the years. Usually the Jedi investigated the ownership of such vehicles and turned them over to planetary authorities, or, in some cases, the private businesses that held the liens. But there were always a few that could not be traced, and were, for lack of a better word, confiscated.

The criminal organizations that owned these ships had obvious reasons not to contact the Jedi to get their impound released. After a ship had sat in the hangar for a reasonably long time, the Temple caretakers would re-assign it a name and re-code its transponders. The vehicles could then be used by Jedi for incognito missions.

A hangar guard in a windowed enclosure buzzed the two Jedi through, and Obi-Wan waved Anakin off, to let him choose their transport. He smiled to himself as Anakin sped away. He was sure his apprentice would choose the flashiest and most expensive ship he could find, but Obi-Wan wasn?t too worried. Anakin was no fool. The young man had uncanny mechanical instincts and would be sure to find something that would satisfy Obi-Wan?s desire for safety, even while slaking his own thirst for gaudiness and speed.

Obi-Wan set their small bags down and glanced around the huge, grey, windowless enclosure. The lights were dimmed, but he could see nearly two dozen ships surrounding him, in various states of age, battle damage and spaceworthiness.

He felt a presence, and turned to see the guard moving up behind him carrying a sheaf of plastic flimsies. The man was human, and not a Jedi. He wore a plain, green uniform, without insignia or rank. The Temple employed many such discreet and trustworthy people, who were indispensable to the day-to-day running of the Jedi organization.

?Would you like to see the list of technical readouts, Master Jedi?? the man asked, and held out the pages.

Obi-Wan shook his head and gave him a slight smile. ?No, thank you. My apprentice probably has them all memorized.?

?I wouldn?t doubt it,? the man replied with an answering quirk to his lips.

Ah, thought Obi-Wan. Now he knew for sure that Anakin had been here before. ?What?s he going to pick??

The man?s brows drew down while he thought. ?Well, there?s a nice Dartiss-5 Caravel freighter in the corner, but it?s a bit of a barge and you?d probably require more crew, even with that kid around to fly it. We?ve also got a Koensayr Citadel-class cruiser, bit of a luxury thing but not as pretty as the Expedition.? The man nodded. ?He?ll probably go for the Expedition.?

Obi-Wan wasn?t quite sure what an ?Expedition? was. ?Where is it??

?Master!? they heard Anakin call from across the hangar, his voice echoing about the ships and walls.

The man smiled. ?Follow the shout.?

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow, and the two moved off in the direction of Anakin?s call. Sure enough, the guard had hit the spot. Anakin stood, arms akimbo, examining a sleek, needle-shaped ship adorned with two small fins and a regular arsenal of weapons, which the guard quietly identified as ?the Expedition.? It was indeed an impressive ship, except for one thing.

?Bronze, Anakin?? Obi-Wan asked, letting a hint of disgust enter his voice as he looked at the ship. ?It?s hideous.?

?No it?s not, it?s great,? Anakin argued, admiring his tanned reflection in the ship?s coppery-metallic exterior. The young man extended a palm to slide loving caresses down the ship?s hull. ?It?s an ILH-KK Expedition-class luxury personal transport. Armed civilian craft. Beautiful. Very fast, very dangerous.?

Obi-Wan recognized the saying

24. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    And here I thought Ford made the Expedition. :p

Nicely done, Shampoo.

I really liked the idea of having Anakin taking on Qui-Gon's "very fast, very dangerous" phrase. It took me awhile to figure out when he said that in TPM. I can just imagine the young Anakin being impressed by the older Jedi's words.

Gosh, I'm sorry that I forgot all about this, and should have tried an UP or two in the pass week just to see if I could reel in a few more readers for you. :)

Don't be a stranger.

25. JediShampoo

May 5, 2000
    Gee, K_A, thanks!!

Hey, I'm having fun writing. If anyone reads and enjoys, then that's just gravy. I do appreciate your comments, however, 'cause you're such a nice writer yourself. :)

Maybe if I want more readers, I should advertise it as a Jag/Jaina romance or something... <g> Heh heh heh.

And thanks for the Ups!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.