main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The Vong War would work really nicely as this trilogy's storied war from the past, like that quick legendary mention of the Clone Wars by Kenobi.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A "bridge" novel just means it will make the transition from where things stand at the end of FOTJ into where things stand at the beginning of Episode VII. I highly doubt that Abeloth or the Lost Tribe will be in the ST, if that's what you think I meant.

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Actually, I was just sort of rhetorically speaking out against FOTJ in general. It would be nice to connect the EU to the next movies, I'll admit. I really don't think they will though. In any way.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But then why would they announce CRUCIBLE (and SOTJ) months after having learned about the Sequel Trilogy? And CRUCIBLE's blurb is all about "passing the torch."

5. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I never thought about that. If anyone thinks these licensees and authors didn't have an inkling they are in denial

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    You know this book could be less a bridge and more and ENDING to the present EU.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    i haz a sad. :(

JackG likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Since Lucas told Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher about the Sequel Trilogy in August of 2011, I'm sure he told Del Rey and Dark Horse, and they've been coordinating.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    One can only hope.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Okay, I'm calling it now...

Han dies in Crucible because Harrison Ford won't be available for Episode 7.

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Denning kills another Solo? [face_plain]

Jedi_Glover, fistofan1 and RC-1991 like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I doubt they'd kill off Han just because he wasn't going to show up in the new films, personally.

He's too popular a cultural icon for casual fans who don't read the books to just be told "he died off screen" -- great way to upset them with the [new] EU even before it begins! I'd find it more likely that they'd just explain his absence with some minor mention of Leia's husband being off on business somewhere -- which then also provides an opening for new fans to delve into the EU (whether rebooted or not) to find out what Han was up to during the films.

Look at the transition from ROTS to ANH: how many of the important characters who were still alive do we see?

And who knows... Ford could later change his mind if Episode 7 is a hit, so I'm sure they'd want to leave it open for a possible cameo in a later film.

13. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Is the answer six?

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    And yet there is no explanation of whether Mon Mothma is still alive, or where Bail Organa is, and so forth.

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, and like I said, I will be utterly, utterly amazed if Han doesn't show up for at least five minutes or so in the new film. I mean, if all he has to do is strap on the vest and holster, then make some snarky remark about shooting first, I can't see him saying no.

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    While I would like to think that the licensees had at least some warning, if you look at Jennifer Heddle's twitter (@JenHeddle) she makes it clear that she has absolutely no idea how the new movies will affect the EU, so I think any notion of them deliberately co-ordinating is wishful thinking.

I don't suspect Disney's influence, but I think, much like TCW, Lucas does what he wants (and yes he's stepping down, but they're using his treatments) and everyone else falls in line when they find out six months later.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Remember when they said Crucible won't be the last adventure for the Big 3? I wonder if they were referring to Episode VII.​

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    What will episode 7 be? I mean si this a big step into the future, using the original actors?? Or is this like a vong war series with new actors.

19. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    We are not 100% sure, but supposedly it's set after ROTJ.

20. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    That might be a good sign, if true. It would mean that Del Rey was warned ahead of time, and that LFL is interested in making post-ROTJ EU mesh with the ST. After all, continuing with Crucible and Sword of the Jedi would be foolish if they are destined to be just be expensive, hardcover fanfic. The sheer number of books set in this era from 1991 onward should be enough to at least make Lucas think twice before contradicting them.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Tell that to the Clone Wars EU...

22. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    One big complaint in the EU is that the Big 3 are at the heart of every galactic conflict. If this is the passing of the torch, expect to see the Big 3 still but make them the Old 3 in the back ground, the Yoda, the Diplomat, and the retired bad boy. I feel like Crucible is the Big 3 semi-retirement book.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Can't answer of the comics, Zeta, but I've only got a half dozen books on the CW, plus the RC series.

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I was actually referring to fistofan's post above mine, and I have read even less (the Dark Lord Trilogy and the Republic Commando series). The Clone Wars multimedia project has been reduced to a footnote just so TCW can have a black check to do whatever they want it to do.

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    How stupid of me, I meant a blank check.