main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Cultural Differences - Response to Writers Race Challenge 3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Indra, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    This is written in answer to challenge three of the Writers Race. Before you decide that I need a therapist and never read one of my stories again, please read what the challenge was here first. Otherwise you won?t understand it at all. Hope you like it despite the insanity. Or maybe because of it. :)

Cultural Differences

"Don't Jump. Someone has tampered with the parachutes."

Obi-Wan looked at his Master with wide eyes, then again at the ground a few hundred feet below him. He gripped the railing of the tower a bit tighter. "How can you be so calm, while you're telling me this?"

Qui-Gon looked perfectly composed, as if he were giving him a lecture back at the Temple. "I just let the Force guide me."

?Oh, great. What is the Force telling you in this particular moment?" He knew that he was being disrespectful, but he?d had just about enough.

"Ask Again Later."

The answer did nothing to calm the exasperated Padawan. Obi-Wan took a deep breath and tried to find his centre, then looked at his Master again, all the while refusing resolutely to pay any attention to the other being sharing their predicament.

"Where did you get the black object?" He pointed to it.

Qui-Gon looked at it a bit puzzled, as if just seeing it for the first time. "From the deepest depths of the Jedi Temple basement."

Deep breaths. "Okay, let?s start at the beginning. Do you go there often?"

"Only on alternate Saturdays when Yoda's D&D group plays there."

Obi-Wan opened his mouth to ask about it, then decided against it. He was probably better off not knowing.

Qui-Gon seemed to think he had to say something. "He is a very strange person."

"That may be, but we're still stuck." The Padawan looked pointedly towards the ground and then towards the swaying tower that was about to explode.

"No, actually only you're stuck. It?s your parachute that won?t open after all."

"You wouldn't leave me here?"

?Of course not, Padawan. We simply need to be creative. Let?s ask our friend here what he thinks. He gave the other being a friendly smile. The humanoid had simply introduce himself as ?Spock? and hadn?t said much since. ?What would you as a non-Jedi say about the situation??

The man seemed a bit confused. "I could never be a Jedi. My mind's too organized," Spock said dolefully.

?That definitely wasn?t the question,? Obi-Wan said with clenched teeth, barely holding onto his anger.

But Qui-Gon wasn?t so easily deterred from his path. His voice still friendly, he said, "It just takes commitment to the Force."

"What kind of forces, you say?"

"The Force," Obi-Wan reiterated with a sigh, once again trying to stay calm. This was not going well.

"A singular Force is not logical."

"What does logic have to do with anything?" It was no use. All he really wanted was to throw the damn alien from the tower, after taking his parachute of course.

"Without logic, there can be no balance."

Obi-Wan was about to yell a few insults at the man, but Qui-Gon?s calm voice interrupted him. "The Force is balance."

"But the force is illogical, therefore unbalanced."

"We're going in circles.? Obi-Wan?s voice clearly showed his exasperation. ?We?re standing on a Sith-spawned tower that will kill us all in the next few minutes and we?re going in circles.?

"I do believe that I am standing still."

Finally, Qui-Gon seemed to find the man strange as well. "Where do you come from again?"

"I am a Vulcan."

Obi-Wan glared at him. "Is that Bothan for 'weird???

"What is a Bothan?"

Before the Padawan could open his mouth, Qui-Gon put an end to another discussion by saying, "Something very illogical."

Spock raised an eyebrow.

"Everything is illogical here."[/

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You wound the two stroies together very nicely Indra. Very cool!

3. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Excellently done. Just enough to tie them together. Bravo

=D=

KD

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, good job! Actually manages to sort of make sense. It was all a dream . . . or was it?

(And hey, I just noticed your signature. I LOVE Neverwhere!)

5. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Healer_Leona Thank you! :)

Knight_Dilettante Thanks. The truth is that I had approximately 15 minutes for this challenge. Glad that it worked with so few in between. :p

maychorian It's unbelievable, isn't it? :p Thanks for reading.

And hey, I just noticed your signature. I LOVE Neverwhere.

Yay! Someone else does. :) It's my favourite book. Richard Mayhew is my favourite example for a realistic character. (And don't you just have to love the marquis? :D)

6. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Glad to see Spock didn't die in vain. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.