main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CV Parties/Social Events Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MrSkinnee, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    True. I just figured that since the Disney party thing isn't sold out, that there would be more people going over to that. There's still stuff that people can do on Saturday. That's the purpose of this thread. To throw ideas out there, but the bottom line is that not everyone is going to be able to do everything that they want. I can't go to the 501st party, so I'm making the best of it and finding other plans. I may be going to the Disney thing now that it doesn't conflict with the TFN party. If not, then I'm open for some Saturday night ideas.

2. welcome2MosEisley

welcome2MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2010
    What's good for Sunday during the day? With any luck I'll be hung-over, but I need to kill some time before heading to the airport. I prefer something without a big buck$$$ price tag. Is it possible to spend a some time at one of the Disney resort pools?

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Unfortunately, no. You need to be a Disney resort guest in order to use their pools. They don't even allow you to 'pool hop' from one resort to another, even though you may already be staying on Disney property.

One alternative may be to check out one of the Disney water parks(Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach), but I think you may be looking at a $45-50 price tag for admission.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  4. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I don't know if this counts or not, but Friday night is the Clone wars slumber party from 6pm to 8pm, and there is also the Celebration Fan Mixer with a live DJ from 8pm - 12a. This is on the Friday schedule, so I'm not sure what it all entails.

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd personally still go through with miniature golf, although if we get out early there's no reason not to go to the fan mixer.

As for Sunday, I'll be at the Con, but I'm free that night for whatever anyone wants to do. I'm also staying until Wednesday morning, as I'm going to Disneyworld on Monday and Tuesday. I know I'm not going to get daily park-hopper passes, so I'm only going to be able to be in one park each day. I was planning on Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and I don't really care which one I do first. If anyone is both able to pay for a day or two of Disney after the con, and wants to go, feel free to join my friend and I. We'd just have to arrange a meeting place beforehand, not to mention a way to identify each other, just in case we hadn't met over the weekend.

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So I'm looking at the Orlando 101 bit of the CV extensively right now, never mind that it's past 3 AM.:p

There are a bunch of interesting things on here. They already have both of the miniature golf courses we talked about mentioned, and of course Disney, Universal, and Seaworld are listed, but there a ton of other things as well that I didn't know about, and a few of them are actually kinda affordable!:p

Ripley's Believe it or Not Odditorium seems like it would be really weird to go to, but also contain a healthy dose of fun. Tickets for adults on site are $18.99 plus tax, while tickets for kids are $11.99 plus tax. If you buy online you save a dollar on each ticket. If we want a group rate, we need to fill out a form and get at least 20 people, although I think it'd be easier to just see who shows up and pay individually rather than committing so far in advance. The best time for a group of us to go would be after the con one night, obviously, and we're in luck, as the place is open till midnight every day of the week. It also helps that it's right on International Drive, although I didn't check where in relation to anything else.

WonderWorks is advertised on the CV website as "an amusement park for the mind". Naturally, that piqued my interest, so I clicked the link. I'm glad I did, as it seems to be relatively awesome. They even have a good Lazer Tag arena, unlike the one at CV (cheaper too), which is a huge draw to me! General Admission for adults is $24.99 for access to all of the exhibits, one "4D motion ride" (I assume this is some kind of roller coaster or other track ride), and one ropes course (which apparently requires close toed shoes and a waiver). Children 4-12 get in at $19.99. Add one round of Lazer Tag and each ticket goes up a paltry $3. All of this of course includes sales tax. It's also on International Drive and open until midnight. It shouldn't be hard to find either, as it's a big Greek pillared building that seems to literally be upside down.:p

Add all of the family-friendly (read: not fancy) restaurants within walking distance and we should have problem on the food front.

I really want to go to WonderWorks, at the very least. Maybe Sunday night, or Saturday for those not going to Last Tour to Endor? Maybe we could even manage an event on both nights and go to one of the two places I listed above each night. If we did both, it'd still be a lot cheaper than Last Tour to Endor by itself, although food would probably even it out, which is fine with me. The Lazer Tag at WonderWorks is also a big draw for me. It's cheaper than the one at CV, and, while it's not Star Wars themed, seems to be much better constructed, akin to the ones I've been to here in L.A., which are fantastic and more expensive than the one here. We can even go to a Lazer Tag event exclusively for about $5, meaning we could play more than once if we wanted. Plus there's an arcade after it!:D

7. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    I've walked into WonderWorks before, looked at the pictures on the wall and then the gift shop, and it seemed really geared towards kids so I can't say first hand what its like inside there.

8. KissinDigital

KissinDigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2010
    Just a note from a passing observer since any chance to dance is where I'll be but as a local I thought I'd pass along that both the Pirates Cove and the Hawaiian Rumble are awesome courses, I enjoy both. Pirates is a chain and the place looks better for it but also has the whole "set up for easy game" thing. HR is a bit more challenging.

Either way, enjoy yourselves! :D

9. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Weeeeeeeeeeeelllll.

That isn't entirely true. I've visited pretty much every Disney resort (never as a paying/staying guest) and had no issue moving through the hotels and hanging around the pools. I've gone swimming at the Grand Floridian and Fort Wilderness with absolutely no issues.

I've prolly said much more than I should but yanno. One can always PM me if they would like some tips to enjoy Disney. ;D

10. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Not to be Debbie Downer but definitely plan to do WW for a few hours only unless you have kids under say, 12. Lots of interactive stuff but most of it is geared toward younger minds. I enjoyed myself for about an hour or two but after that... meh. The 4D ride is a roller coaster - you do get to design it (if they haven't switched em out since I went) with all the loops and drops you want.

The LazerTag is pretty cool admittedly, it's a cool set up but a layout very easy to memorize so you have to constantly keep moving. No good sniper spots. xD

The nice thing is it is VERY close to the center and if you're staying at a hotel very close, you can walk to WW. Despite being I-drive, it is definitely hard to miss. ^^

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Right. I'm aware people do it, but it's still cheating the system and against the 'rules.'

I've heard of incidents where they had cast members checking room keys before allowing access to the pools. Now, granted, they don't do this all the time and that's how people are sneaking in.

Here is Disney's official stance:

Hope that helps. :)

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  12. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Not arguing that stance in the least and it is worth it to keep in mind that this is the end of the busy peak season (like the local's seasonal pass is blocked until about that time) so it may be more difficult.

13. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    Just wanted to bump this back up because I was going through all the visitor guides that I've gotten from past trips to Orlando and I saw some coupons for $1 off the rounds of mini golf. Granted these have since expired, but I plan on stopping my the Orlando Visitor Center when I arrive on Tuesday and picking up some new guides and bringing them with me to mini golf so we can get that extra $1 off, which is good for up to 6 players. BTW, can someone put the mini golf into the original post, as well as people going to see Scott Pilgrim at midnight? I'm not able to do that.

Also, is there anything else going on that has materialized that anyone wants to share?

14. Plagious

Plagious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    Mini golf Friday? Count me in. What about transportation? Anyone want to share a cab? Its a little far to walk. Yes I will wear my Anakin Ep2. costume but it would hinder my playing ability.

15. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    I plan on using the I-Ride trolley to get up there and back. BTW Plagious, I just got an awesome idea for a picture! I can see it now. A low angle close up on the ball right next to the hole. You in the distance with your hand outstretched trying to use the Force to make the ball go in while you hold the golf club in your other hand like a lightsaber.

16. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When exactly are we doing the mini-golf? I forgot lol.

17. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    I had planned for 7:30 on Friday. That way we can get a quick game in and anyone who wants to head back for the fan mixer still has plenty of time to do so.

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    There is also a 501st/RL pool party on Thursday night.

MAIN POOL (The one with the waterfall)
    Doubletree Resort
    10100 International Drive
    Orlando, FL 32821

WHEN: Thursday 08/12
    Time- 8:00p.m. until 12 midnight or so

Hotel contact information - 1-800-327-0363

No ticket price that I know of - the pool area has a cash bar.

Mini-golf? If I haven't taken advantage of the 5-6 goofy golf places within 5 miles of where I live, I'm not likely to go in another town, even if I'm wearing a Jedi costume. But it would be fun watching some stormtroopers playing.

19. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    For those who can't attend the RL/501st Mixer Friday night, there's a FREE party inside the convention center:

8:00-Midnight -- Celebration Fan Mixer -- Valencia BCD

Sometimes, it's best to just party without a plan! Come by the Valencia Ballroom on the fourth floor Friday night to join your friends and meet new friends, at the Celebration Friday Night Mixer. Food and beverages to buy. Live DJ music and good company provided for free. Bring your smile, your Star Wars cred, and your dancing shoes!

20. Plagious

Plagious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    Count on it! I assume using the force while playing will be ok because this is a star wars event. I don't want people to think I am cheating.

21. KingTomatoXIII

KingTomatoXIII Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2010
    Along the lines of other social events at CV, I found this. (Party details are towards the bottom of the page.)

I dont know much about it, but I'd just thought I'd point it out.

22. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Those words are magic to my ears.

23. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Anyone know what time last call is for the bars in the area? I'm guessing it's mostly hotel/restaurant bars in the area, which will do fine for this trip, just wanted to get an idea as to how late places are open for adult beverages.

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Wish I was arriving early enough to make the golf outing- sounds fun.

25. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Where and when do you guys want to meet for the mini-golf?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.