main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG D&D 5E...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 10, 2012.

1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I had several friends sit in on the test group play at Gen Con. I would have but I was busy running games. But from everything I've heard from them and reading other peoples reviews. It was horrid. Wotc was more concerned with people signing up for the RPGA then they were people's input on the game and the rules changes.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I disagree. My experience has been fantastic.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The creator of Forgotten Realms still uses 2E for his personal campaigns.

D&D Next(5e) hands on article

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    While not the worst 5e article, that one is pretty bad. The only thing of substance it mentions is that character sheets are sparser. Everything else is vague and edition warrior, including the laughable claim that 4e was somehow the black sheep of the family (1e, 2e and 3e all had their schisms, they just weren't immortalized on the internet. Well, to the same degree).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I suspect that was a paid puff piece for 5e than an actual review of the system...

6. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    The new playtest packet is out.

7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Next playtest packet is out.

8. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    And another playtest packet is out, this time introducing the monk.

9. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Does anyone actually care about this game at all?

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Guess everyone is still hurting over 4e ;)

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I forgot about this to tell the truth. Before I go looking at these packets, sell me on them. I do not have a gaming group. What are they like? 4e lost That Old D&D Feeling. How do these new rules feel?

12. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Uninspiring. Dull.

It feels like a recycled slurry of earlier editions plus 3e. There's nothing in it that makes me think "oh man, I really want to take this game for a spin." The rules are supposed to be light to give the DM more freedom, but the current rules are terrible 3eisms- if you want a rules-light fantasy game you're honestly better off playing Dungeon World or Legends of Anglerre or something.

I look at the packet and think to myself "would it honestly be that bad to play Pathfinder?" Then I remember that the answer is "yes it is" and walk away disappointed.

Oh well, I have other games and can wait a few years to take a look at 6e.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    In a play test packet I assume you are allowed to make comments and send it back? There then may be many like you who will respond and cause them to change as they proceed.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yes. What I hear sounds like they're trying to take a huge step backwards, ignoring all the progress they made.
    So now they aren't going to be satisfying the 3.5/pathfinder fans or the 4th ed fans or bringing anything to the market by making 5th ed exciting for new fans. Brilliant marketing scheme.

6th ed? oh, expect it by 2015-2018 at the latest.

The support for 4th ed even during it's run was pathetic, erratic, and misguided. It was as if they didn't have a clue as to what they were about, so they just made anything and everything anyone suggested without any though or editting whatsoever. Almost like a blogger or BBS poster ranting and raving.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Reprints of AD&D core books are in stores. $35? Ha ha, no.

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, I saw reprints of 3.5 core books in the stores a couple months ago.
    Sad.
    What audience are they trying to target with those?

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Collectors I assume. Years ago these miniature versions of the AD&D books, like novel sized, came out for I think $10 a piece. I might have bought them but was shy on cash at the time and they flew off the shelves. I do love that old artwork though. I came across a 2E DM guidein a used bookstore. $20. lol.

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Another playtest packet was released a week or two ago, and there's another survey if anyone wants to provide feedback on it.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have been browsing a bit on D&D Next. Let me se eif I have this right.

1. No skills. They are replaced with skill dice.

2. You start as a static class, then at 3rd level you choose from 3 paths and then each path leads to other tree paths as you flesh out a character. This seems to limit options but would be quick to create.

3. Wizards are now called mages and there are no sorcerers. There are still spellbooks and the Vancian system.

4. If you are in an Advantaged situation you roll 2 dice and take the higher result. If Disadvantaged you roll 2 dice and take the lower result.

5. Separate rules for wilderness and dungeon exploration.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Subscribe to the D&D podcast guys; not only are there great updates on Next, but you can hear the Penny Arcade guys in their campaign.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I am working on getting into DnD. I am building a Dragonborn Barbarian. I cannot find or figure out how the initiative stat is generated. Anybody have a simple explanation that can tell me and maybe provide a dumbed down resource that I can reference while I learn how to play?

Thanks!

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's a Dexterity check.