main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(D20) Challenging powerful Player Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Donp, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Good to know he's not losing his head about it. [face_laugh]

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    [face_laugh]

*ba-dum-ching!*

3. Donp

Donp Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2003
    Hehehehe...

4. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    The Wookiee player has made a new character, a soldier/elite trooper who is rather cocky and doesn't believe in all this "force" business. He wields two blaster pistols.

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    heh, make him force sensitive out of spite ;-)

do you use the house rule about picking a feat reflecting the personality?

i don't but i know other people do, at character creation the get a free 'personality feat', in this guys case would probably be the 'skeptical' feat.

Other examples could be the headstrong feat, etc etc etc

6. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    I don't use that rule, but I give each player a random Special Ability, these are feat-like abilites that I have created that make their character a little bit special. They also each get a random personality quirk.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Any news on this?
    How's the new character working out?

8. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    Ehmm....the player's new character is dead! He decided to charge a group of 8 entrenched Mandalorian Elite troopers at a range of 400 meters armed only with blaster pistols (Max range 100 m).

Not really a smart move...

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    :oops: D'OH!

Oh well...
    Has he decided on a new character?
    Did he manage to wipe out the entire party with that move?

10. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    Yes he has created a new character who is a rather fat bald guy with a cowboy hat. The character has much experience as an archeologist and is both and avid gambler and an alcoholic.

He's also a former Jedi Knight who had to turn to a life of crime to repay his gambling debts. His identity as a Jedi is something he keeps carefully hidden.

Due to always being drunk (something the other players haven't noticed yet as he is devious enough to use an inconspicous mouth-spray for his alcohol needs) he tends to act a bit like Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, that is always rather disorientated, always shows up late etc.

It's a fun character :)

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So what, Jedi Guardian 7 / Fringer 5?:confused:
    I would think the gambling and substance abuse would lead to darkside.
    OK, I suppose you could use force powers to detox, but I would also think that the presence of the substance would make one more vulnerable? Certainly a penalty would be in order, based on level of intoxication, whenever the temptation of the dark side called.

Oh well. Good luck. Let us know if you need any ideas to help control this one.

:D [face_devil] :-B [face_thinking]

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I don't imagine it being much of a problem if he doesn't use the Force much. If he's trying to keep his Jedi heritage a secret, anyway...

13. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    Yes, he's actually not using the Force at all, he has 7 levels of Force Skills and Force feats just lying there doing nothing.

The only problem with handling this guy is making sure he does what he's supposed to be doing, rather than just wandering off doing random things! [face_worried]

And he's not half as bad as the latest addition to the group, phew!

That guy is a drug addict who is a Starship Ace, but keeps getting so hammered on drugs that he falls down in the middle of battles ("I've fallen and I can't get up!").

The player and I devised a number of drugs the player was addicted to, and we made up a bunch of fun side effects ("Drugs are fun mkay"). So now this player is constantly harried by various hallucinations and also tends to fall asleep during important moments.

Really I don't know what happened to my group! But whatever, it's a lot of fun even though it isn't quite as serious anymore.

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    It'd be an interesting story arc to have the former Jedi try to find his way back to the Jedi path and start taking levels again, but then from the sound of things your campaign is veering away from serious stuff.

IIRC, there's rules for drugs in the Galactic Campaign Guide. They have glitterstim, caarsanuum (sp?), Ryl, Andris and a bunch of other spices.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You might also check out the latest SW-Insider. They have a listing of different illicit substances...

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I liked the drug effects listed in a game called The Nightlift. It's a horror genre game with werewolves, vampyres, wyghts, and 40 other races of Kin. Bad as drugs were for humans, they did even worse things to Kin who fed upon the hopped-up Herd using them. "Your eyes roll back in your head until they're facing inward. You start crying, and realize that your eyes are melting from their sockets. (Blind until healed)."

Unfortunately, the Stellar Games company had absolutely no marketing, to the game is virtually unheard of. They had two other games: It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show where the characters are actors in D-grade movies that MST3K would be too embarrassed to show, and A.C.E. Agents which could be spy, super spy, GIJoe, or superhero.

17. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    My game is supposed to be serious, it's just veered off into silliness recently. But I'll get it back on track soon enough. I've got the mother of all plot developments coming around really soon, and that will shock them to their very core, this will stop them being silly.[face_shame_on_you]

TIP: If your players are being silly in a serious-minded campaign turn their world completely upside down on them. That ought to wake them up...:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.