side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garygill123

garygill123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    In the ESB, lukes finds something familiar about his jedi master's home....do you think we will find out why in the next two movies?
    I personally think he might have been born there...any thoughts?

2. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Yes, but just because he remembers doesn't necessarily mean that he was born there. He could have been born on Alderann and then taken to Dagaboh for a short time before Kenobi took him to Tatooine.

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    i doubt we will hear much about dagobah.
    it will be enough for us to know that yoda escaped without being killed.
    and even then, we dont *have* to know that he escaped. we could not hear anything about his death, or hear a false report of him dying.

and as for my opinion about luke and dagobah, i dont think he ever went there before ESB. i think that the familiar feeling was just because he could feel another force user.
    after all, yoda had been watching luke for a long time. there is a familiarity there, albeit one sided.

4. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Personally, I would really like it if they didn't explain Yoda's disappearance, or a false death report. Remember, Palpatine had to think Yoda was dead in order to move on. Yoda was the leader of the Jedi, Palpatine would definately want him dead, what better way than a false report?

I kind of hope we are surprised to see Yoda again, or maybe we'll end up thinking it's Yaddle, because viewers think Yoda is dead.

:)

5. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm one of those who still cling to the speculation that we have already been to Dagobah in TPM...

6. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    "I'm one of those who still cling to the speculation that we have already been to Dagobah in TPM..."

Isn't the universe small enough? [face_plain]

7. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I hope that line is explained.

8. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm refering to an old debate around here. Some of us (not very many, I admit) believe that Naboo and Dagobah are the same planet, and that some disaster will happen to Naboo in one of the coming films. It's controversial, I know. But there are a few things that sort of backs it up.

But I won't bother you with it unless you ask, 'cause some feel this debate is just annoying. ;)

9. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    "I'm refering to an old debate around here. Some of us (not very many, I admit) believe that Naboo and Dagobah are the same planet, and that some disaster will happen to Naboo in one of the coming films. It's controversial, I know. But there are a few things that sort of backs it up."

I'm well aware of said debate :)

I just don't think it'll happen because the universe is small enough now. What's next? Curuscant gets covered with snow and becomes Hoth? Tatooine grows some trees and becomes Endor? (that last one obviously can't happen... ;) )

10. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Ah, never say die, my friend... ;)

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Actually, the TRUTH, is that all the planets are ONE. They are Earth, and the space scenes? They're actually underground. Duh, I thought everyone knew that. :)

12. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Heh. Well, technically, they're all filmed on earth... I think that the dagobah/naboo thing is a possibility. The cave? Perhaps that was where Maul died.

--Mr. P

13. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Hypocritically enough, I'm going to come here and say that not every line of dialogue in the OT has significant bearing on the Prequels.

14. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    pfft.

sez you.

15. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    You're all missing the obvious, Dagobah is Coruscant. Think about it, Yoda is small and green and he obviously always been on one planet so He could never have left Coruscant and so it had to have become Dagobah.
    My guess is during the clone wars Coruscant is razed to the ground then ressed with fast growing stuff and they create a new planet which they name Coruscant in an attempt to confuse people.

Need more proof? 'Coruscant' reearranged spells 'Rust Can Co' and 'Dagobah' becomes 'b A go had' and when you put them togeather it becomes
    Had a rust can. Go cob!

See?!?!? SEEEE!??!?!?!

16. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    i cannot match your logic.

you are lucas himself.

17. Qui-Gon_Jon

Qui-Gon_Jon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2001
    I have suspected the Naboo/Dagobah connection since the first time I saw TPM. I thought the similarity of establishing shots involving the "sacred place" and the swamp- featuring nearly identical flybys of local wildlife seemed more than a little overt.

Additionally, it would be very consistant with Lucas' use of duality as a theme for the "sacred place" on Naboo to be the "domain of evil" on dagobah. Why is it a domain of evil? Maybe because that location was the source of Naboo's destruction? Or Padme's death? Or Anakin's turn to the DARK SIDE?

Whatever it is, I think we're gonna find out. Nothing happens by accident.

18. TheGreatWhoDunnit

TheGreatWhoDunnit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    What about Luke's comment to Artoo about "No cities, but massive life forms"?

What happened to Theed (By the way is that the name of the palace or the city?)? Destroyed?

Besides, don't some of those EU maps show them to be different planets (even if it isn't canon)?

I'd never rule anything out, but it seems a bit far fetched.

Also, the whole cave sequence, including the familiarity/domain of evil, has always confused my feeble mind. I still can't figure out what's going on.

19. pirhana JEDI

pirhana JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2000
    Luke's fear was living in that tree/cave on Dagobah. Being the son of a vergence might have let him see with those eyes.

20. Qui-Gon_Jon

Jun 22, 2001
    I don't think this would contradict the events of the OT- I just believe there's more to it. Lucas keeps saying that the OT will mean a lot more when the new films are done- and vice versa.

I just think it's too close for coincidence.

21. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm with you, my friend. And I'm so delighted that I'm not the only one who thinks this! :)

The whole swamp/sacred place sequence is littered with creatures, vegetation and sounds that are simply copied from the Dagobah sequences. Match the sacred place establishing shot (with the swamp/water and the flying creatures) to the establishing shot of Luke's X-wing in the swamp in TESB, and you got too many similarities going at the same time.

Also remember; Naboo has a water core...
    And the back of that creature that attacks R2 is not very dissimiliar to some of the creatures Binks and the Jedi run into while traversing the core of Naboo.

Then it's the fact that Dagobah in the OT is just a completely mysterious place. Luke says there's something familiar about it, Yoda decided to live there, and there's even parts of a concrete structure underground in the cave. What happened there? What is the mysterious past of Dagobah?

I think we are about to find out.

And just 'cause there are cities and technology on Naboo in TPM does not mean there has to be anything there 35 years later. Nothing but ruins. I think that what we see in TESB and RotJ is the sad ruin of a once prosperous planet which was completely destroyed during the terrible Clone Wars. Everything was wiped out.

22. TheGreatWhoDunnit

TheGreatWhoDunnit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    So, what Naboo is in the Dagobah system?

Also, Pirhana Jedi, that just confused me more. Can someone please explain the cave stuff without using the mumbo-jumbo language from the movies. I'm afraid you just have to dumb some things down for me. Thanks, and no offense, PJ.

23. pirhana JEDI

pirhana JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2000
    The tree/cave was strong in the dark side of the Force.
    Fear, anger, and agression, lead to the dark side.
    Luke's fear was inside himself.
    Luke's fear, anger, agression, were embodied in that tree. (that's obvious,right?)

Luke was 'in touch' with Dagobah; or at least the part of himself that was embodied in the tree and/or Yoda the minute he arrived.
    He was looking for Yoda, but recognized himself.

What did they name that planet in TPM where Amidala and the Gungans were from? Wasn't it Naboo? N-A-B-O-O. That does not spell Dagobah or even Dagobaoh. Dagobah is called Dagobah. It is another planet, entirely. The trees and vines are just way too grown, along with the entire planet, to be that other planet in even fifty years. There is no sunlight!

Spoilers would mention the destruction of planets we have seen, or not.

24. Qui-Gon_Jon

Jun 22, 2001
    Lucas said something in an interview to the effect of "in the next two films we'll visit some new planets that you've never seen and witness the destruction of some we have." Or something like that. That, to me, says Naboo is gonna be decimated in some form or another. Nothing like having your planet trashed to make you pack up and move to, say, Alderaan.

As far as the different names of planets/systems- so what? Nations change names. Who's to say Dagobah isn't a Gungan word for a planet that white settlers decided to call Naboo?

25. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Even though it's possible, I don't believe that Dagobah & Naboo are one and the same. While Naboo does have swamps, it doesn't mean it is Dagobah. I think Dagobah is an obscure planet from Jedi & Sith lore. It is not near any central system, therefore it is relatively secluded and out of the way. The dark-side cave is from ancient sith history where a Sith died eons ago. Yoda is over 800 years old and could possibly be the only living being to even know of it's history at the end of the prequels. It makes a perfect place for a Jedi Master as powerful as Yoda to hide and mask his Force energy from the likes of Vader & Palpatine.

As far as Luke feeling a sense of Dejavu on Dagaobah, I do believe that he was there, however briefly it may have been. Perhaps Obi Wan traveled there with infant Luke to drop Yoda off before heading on to Tattooine to the Lars homestead. I have to believe that Lucas is clever enough, that Lukes statement was intentionally placed in reference to Luke's unknown lineage.

Another possibility is that Luke's feeling of dejavu could be related to Yoda's presence and not Dagobah. Luke at that time is not very coherent of his Force potential yet, so while he can use the Force to a degree, he may not be able to understand what he senses. He mistakes his sensing of Yoda's Force signature for a familiarity of surroundings. Either way, I doubt we will find out before Episode III, except if we become spoiled. Heaven forbid :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.