main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Dark Tide II: Ruin," by Michael A. Stackpole [Del Ray, 2000]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 21, 2005.

?

"Dark Tide II: Ruin," by Miachael A. Stackpole [Del-Ray, 2000]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

28.6%
  2. 9

42.9%
  3. 8

14.3%
  4. 7

7.1%
  5. 6 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

3.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
  2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Dark Tide II: Ruin by Michael A. Stackpole

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/ruin.jpg]

Synoposis

The alien Yuuzhan Vong have launched an attack on the worlds of the Outer Rim. They are merciless, without regard for life - and they stand utterly outside the Force. Their ever-changing tactics stump the New Republic military. Even the Jedi, once the greatest guardians of peace in the galaxy, are rendered helpless by this impervious foe - and their solidarity has begun to unravel.

While Luke struggles to keep the Jedi together, Knights Jacen Solo and Corran Horn set off on a reconnaissance mission to the planet Garqi, an occupied world. There, at last, they uncover a secret that might be used to undermine the enemy - if only they can stay alive long enough to use it

3. Obi_One_Kenodi

Obi_One_Kenodi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2004
    Its a good book, but I like Stackpoles other book in the NJO series more. 9/10.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    While I really enjoyed Onslaught I found this to be rushed/badly edited and very very telegraphed in regards to what was going to happen. The predictability pained me.
    Add in a little Horn worship on Stackpoles part and you had or have Ruin.
    3 out of 10

5. darthmohican

darthmohican Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    it was alright the first one was better....the onl good part was like the last 100 pages with Ithor being destroyed

6. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    what may i ask is the thing that looks like the droid control ship on the front?

7. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    0. Didn't care for it.

8. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    There are better books in the series

9. MOFF-JANGO

MOFF-JANGO Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2005
    I hated the beginning. But the end on Ithor made everything up for me. So i give it a 7. I more liked 1 though.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Unlocked by request.

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Seems that I'm breaking the trend here in my opinion that I actually thought that this was the stronger of the two books. It took many of the things I enjoyed with the first one and upped them. It does well at making the Vong really start to seem like a viable threat, even though our heroes seem to circumvent many of their problems battling this new, different weaponry rather quick and easily.

Like the last book, and maybe even the last two books, I'm really not surprised about (SPOILERS for LOTF) Jacen's eventual fall. A lot of the attitudes he exhibits here, while perfectly understandable for a kid his age trying to find his way, could lend themselves to the dark side. I look forward to actually reading the events that I've only skimmed in Wookiepedia articles and other forum posts.

In the end, I think that this is a good end to a fairly solid series. Nothing truly spectacular in these two books, but they're pretty fun and it wasn't toward the end of this one and I knew that Agents of Chaos was next that I noticed and missed the presence of Han. Good to know we get plenty of that in the next two.

8/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.