main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DeathStar 3 Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Crunchy, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underleft

Underleft Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 1999
    Maybe you could make it look like the first death star but put the dish in the middle and have no trench. Then make it a different color like you were saying or make it a different texture then the other ones. anyway, thats the way I would do it

2. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Why would you need to make the dish bigger, is destroying a planet not powerful enough for you? What more could you do with a more powerful death star? use it to heat up a million microwave dinners at once?

3. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Destroy a galaxy!!!

4. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    that is just impossible. And besides why would you want to destroy an entire galaxy? That would be like anhialating all life since the technology in star wars is incapable of inter-galaxy travel. they travel amongst the star systems in the galaxy.

5. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I just figured it would look nice, just because the dish is bigger, doesn't mean the amplification has to increase

6. KillerBobBarker

May 6, 2002
    I was kidding.

But a more powerful laser can destroy a whole star. Even though there are already ships that can do that (the sun crusher).

The bigger dish would maybe provide more range?

7. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Well, of course, Technology has grown. Systems have built planetary shields to withstand even another death star!

So, naturally the empire creates a BIGGER death star with a BIGGER superlaser!

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Size matters not :p

Seriously though, if a ship the size of a larger starfighter can destroy a solar system (by destroying it's star) then a bigger laser on a death star means nothing, just how much power is behind it :p ;)

9. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    what is this starfighter sun killer?

10. KillerBobBarker

May 6, 2002
    It is the sun crusher

It is in the book I am reading (I, Jedi). takes place about 10 years after ROtJ (I think).

It is some ship stolen... hold on, I will try to find a quote from the book... hold on.

11. KillerBobBarker

May 6, 2002
    Here is one:
    I censored the names for people who want to read the book.

"And let them know ****** has the Sun Crusher... there is no telling what he will do with a weapon of that power."

"******* in control of a weapon that can destroy star systems?"

I think there were more descriptive quotes a while back, but I do not feel like re-reading the entire book. Pick it up if you like.

12. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    ok, what I originally had planned was more of the look of the new DS rather than it's functionality. I know of the sun crusher, but I am not incorporating any other fiction into my fiction, I am just stemming ideas from the movies.

The formats that are acceptable if you would like to submit your ideas are max,lightwave and photoshop :)

13. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    I hate those books, it is some B level writer making up some random crap up like the 'star buster' and call it 'cannon' then we are supposed to abide by it or we are doing 'fake fiction' it is totally BS.

14. KillerBobBarker

May 6, 2002
    If a book is certified by George Lucas then it is part of the Star Wars universe. Just because you do not like the stuff in it, does not mean the writer is just making it up.

15. EremiticWolf

EremiticWolf Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2002
    ahhhh Anonymous_Jedi there was a mistake that the Empirer made with the death star two....he underestimated what the rebels could do.

16. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    WD, I've said this before and I will say it again. I am already a HUGE EU fan, but I don't even get near the dumb books that really push the issue. The X-Wing series by Stackpole is great and the Zahn trilogy is almost movie-like.
    When you watch the Ep III credits roll, what're you gonna do? You will know that that is the last SW film coming to the big screen. You will know that the cannon stuff ends there. Move to EU! And if you don't like reading, sorry... but in not reading the EU you're limiting yourself as a Fan.

Don't fall into the trap of saying EU is kwap. More than 50% of the ppl that state that have not even picked up an EU book, ever!

I've even read the PT and OT books, and I like the EU ones better.

Carl

17. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Want me to summarize the sun crusher from the starwars essential guide to vehicles and vessels?? sure u do :)

The Sun Crusher was an Imperial superweapon designed at the Maw Installation, an Imperial military think tank that had been secretly established by Grand Moff Karkin. The Maw Installation was hidden in the heart of the Maw, a cluster of black holes near the infamouse spice world of Kessel. The origional Death Star super laser was invented at the Maw Installation as well...
    ...The Sun Crusher was only slightly larger than a fighter yet its resonance torpedoes were powerful enough to destroy a star. The ship was a marvel of galactic technology that could not be bought at any price-- it is unique miniature systems, layered molecular armor, and resonance torpedoes each cost as much to develop as did the origional Death Star Super laser...

all that pretty much means that the sun crusher was impervious to conventional weaponry :)

there is some history stuff about the sun crusher.. but if i read any of that maybe someone whose reading the book might not like to hear it :) so i wont say anything..

anyway there's my info about sun crusher :p (i really only posted cuz i had nothing better to do :)) altho i've been trying to think of something to do for your death star but havnt thought up anything :p

come to think of it.. you could use an Eclipse star destroyer insted... its about 17.5 km long (twice the size of a super star destroyer).. its solid black.. hull and shielding strong enough to just ram thru all the ships in its path.. gravity wells (to prevent hyperspace jumps of ships in the area) AND a super laser that is 2/3 the power of the first death star...altho thats only powerful enough to crack the surface of the planet and not blow it up too bad eh? :p it even had nearly as many people on board as the deathstar .. anyway i guess thats my suggestion :p go for an eclipse star destroyer :p

18. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Carl, (what in the hell does EU stand for?) I have read one star wars book 'tales of the bounty hunters' it was okay, and i did get started on a book in the x-wing series called the 'bacta war' but never had the time to really read it.

What just annoys me is how someone can be like 'hrm, i am not that good at writing but need cash... let me create a super weapon based on star wars, all the geeks will buy my book them'. I mean come on... you have to remember that super weapons of 10 years ago become mundane in the present. The thought of the 'star crusher' just bothers me as another example of people trashing the Star Wars license. The ability to destroy an entire planet is possibly the most destructive power ever needed. Why do people feel they have to one up that... what possible tactical value would destroying an entire solar system have? Okay, sorry, rant ends here.

19. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Back to the issue at hand, the LOOK of the Death Star...

How about combining ideas from the DS2, Destroyer Droid and Admiral Thrawn's use of cloaked asteroids.

The new model should be just exactly what is needed to power, transport and fire the weapon. Mostly a skelaton structure, (like the DS2 but using even less shell), with a few armor plates in critical areas (like the Destroyer Driods)

For defenses, internally generated energy field for capital ship attacks. Then, thousands and thousands of cloaked, high-speed, orbiting mine droids that would illiminate any small-craft attack threats. (They don't even really need to be cloaked. Just appear as something like a cloud of insects around the base. Openings in the cloud could be controlled from inside the base to allow authorized landings and firing of the primary weapon.)

Just some thoughts that came to mind.

Have fun.

20. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    can you guys illustrate your ideas in Corel, Photoshop, Max, paper, etc.

That might help :)

21. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Just had another thought...
    You could create a new Star Destroyer ship with a DS gun built-in, sorta like the Star Blazers (Yamamoto) Wave Motion Gun concept.

Just a crazy idea day for me. Sorry.

Have fun.

22. KillerBobBarker

May 6, 2002
    OR, how about: take the laser from the Death Star and put it onto a handheld blaster. That would be sweet... just point it up, and your bound to destroy some planet out there.

8-}

23. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    We already have the new design for the Imperial SSD, I just wanted to add a new deathstar to the end of the film, just something new and familiar that everyone can enjoy :)

24. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    PadawanNick

didnt you read my post? :p

there already is an ssd with a ds superlaser in it... :p an eclipse star destroyer created a few years after ds2 was destroyed by the emporor's clone ...

25. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Didn't mean to steal your thunder Lots.
    I saw your post, but hadn't visualized what the big SD would have look like.

Guess that does describe something close.

Have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.