main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Debating Chamber

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Just an idea for a thread where we can debate stuff. Fun - serious, I don't mind just pick a topic then a side and argue your points.
    Try and be civil though.

Something nice and easy to start with.

Topic:
    Does your post count really matter?

2. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    No its quality not quanaty.

3. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    What's quanaty? Whatever goes with me, just here to have fun anyway so it really doesn't matter. :D

4. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    But you have to admit at some point it did matter. I'll be honest on UBB it was getting to "Knight" status that was part of the fun and getting my first 1000 was a big goal here. Now I regulary forget what i'm upto and get a suprise when I check.

5. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Didn't seem that important to then actually as it was fairly easy to get up to that number anyway.

6. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Its a good way of determining how long or how often someone uses the Forums. other than that, I agree that its quality not quantity.

7. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    post count, well i agree, its only really useful to indicate how much time one spends here, not their quality or whatever....and people go through posting phases...for example it took me a year to get to 1000, but only about another 3 months to get to 2000, and to whatever i am now, although i guess the move to snowboards does make an accurate post count nearly impossible

8. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    OK something a little closer to our hearts.

Is NZ as "green and clean" as what people perseave it to be or is it now just an act by the tourism board to cover up the possibility we aren't "all that" anynore?

9. Obi-Jace

Obi-Jace Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2001
    I heard something recently about how bad the water has got on alot of the 'heritage' nature tracks. Aparently its so bad that they advise all walkers to boil water or to bring in drinking water for themselves, gone are the days of just sipping out of any stream you come across!

EDIT: P.S. since there are no set and defined 'teams' for debating, could this thread be assumed to be 'Mass debating'?

10. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    //sighs

the clean and green image IMO is largely by accident....we never really went through a heavy industry phase, despite many attempts by government over the years, plus we are very lightly populated comparatively, so what cockups we have are relatively well dispersed and hidden......there are alot of bad things out there, chemical dumps and such that we just don't know about, just buried on a random farm and forgotton till someone gets cancer of the feet followed by their entire family

11. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    There were a whole lot of chemicals tipped into a local stream about a month ago after a trucj crashed that infected the township. That was accidental though. We have lots of pests as well, brought in by outsiders that have ruined a lot of the bush and it's wild life. Stoats, Rats, Possums.

12. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    our clean grean image of ouselves is slowly changing, Christchurch's smog problem is one of the worst problems of late, especially in winter with the open fires etc. Even so, other nations view NZ as a haven where they can escape such environmental problems.

NZ has been rated 19th best country to live in (I think), ahead of Italy. Aussies are way up at #2, behind Norway. what exactly does this mean??

13. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    our clean grean image of ouselves is slowly changing, Christchurch's smog problem is one of the worst problems of late, especially in winter with the open fires etc. Even so, other nations view NZ as a haven where they can escape such environmental problems.

NZ has been rated 19th best country to live in (I think), ahead of Italy. Aussies are way up at #2, behind Norway. what exactly does this mean??

EDIT: Damn you double post! ah well, one more to the post count, LOL.

14. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
  15. Obi-Jace

Obi-Jace Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2001
    How come no-one picked up on the 'Mass Debating' joke?(if you still don't get it, say the phrase fast 3 times!) :p

16. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    Mass Debating
    Mass Debating
    Mass Debating...

huh?

17. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Oh yuk.

Anyway, here's a topic for debate. How trustworthy is the media in New Zealand? Can you trust them to give you a fact-based and unbiased view of the news? Are they overly manipulative?

18. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    i don't really trust our media.........if it wasn't for my desire to read about the local region i wouldn't even bother with the local newspapers.....and I try to avoid channel 1 and 3's news reporting as well, there are alot better sites on the net that allow you to get a greater understanding of the issues, and a broader array of sources too

19. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I dont trust them either.

I've been told that in Germany, they have heaps of different news programmes, each from a different point of view, that would be weird but cool at the same time.

20. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    Those Germans the crazy fools.

21. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    yes they are, but they make nice chocolate.

22. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    it would have been better if they made nice SW choclate with free cards.

23. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    yeah. that would be the ultimate.
    no wait, free exclusive star wars action figures.

24. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    No free SW vehicals with figs.

25. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    which is a good subject for a debate (SW related this time) what does evertyone think of having exclusive figures with all the new Hasbro vehicles?

EDIT: apologies for cutting Kitt's debate short, feel free to answer to that one as well which was:
    "How trustworthy is the media in New Zealand? Can you trust them to give you a fact-based and unbiased view of the news? Are they overly manipulative?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.