main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Desert Island Discourse: LOST fan fiction oasis

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This is the place to discuss LOST fan fiction and all related topics: Character, plot, and the mystery. Let?s keep theories to a minimum as this is fic thread and not a show threads.

?ships? Of course!

Dharma? Yeah!

Other Lostie dynamics? Bring it on!

Is this show plot centered or character centered or both?

What mysteries yet to be explained do you want to explore?

Is there a character death that you would prefer never happened?

Jack or Locke?

Skate or Jate?

Ben or Widmore?or Jacob?

This is an entirely new area of fan fiction for me. And, I must admit a daunting one. There is so much to remember and so many angles with which to write that I?m frozen in place. I?m looking for any help to explore this rich arena of fan fiction.

2. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    YAY! LOST!

I think it's both in a way. Without the characters and their unique connections the show wouldn't be half as interesting. But without the craz plot there wouldn't be a show.

All of them...wait. Well right now I want an explanation for what happened to Claire. And I want to know about why the heck was Locke in the coffin as this Jeremy Bentham dude. And of course why do they have to go back to the Island. The list goes on...

Charlie for sure, though I always said that if he did go his death had better being poignant and hugely emotional, which it was. I also was sad to see Libbey go (during her date with Hurley no less) and Mr. Eko.

Jack or Locke?

As much as I love Jack I'm going to have to go with Locke.

Skate or Jate?

Neither, but if I had to pick I would say Jate.

Ben or Widmore...or Jacob?

Jacob or Ben, I really don't like Widmore.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

Character centered. Heck, look at season 3. The entire plot was "get Jack, Sawyer, and Kate out of prison" or whatnot. It's all about characters and how they interact with each other.

Smokey the smoke monster.

CHARLIE! :_|

Jack or Locke?
    Jack may be a crybaby, but at least he's not crazy like Locke. Locke just wants to blow stuff up.

Skate or Jate?
    I truthfully don't have a preference over either. I shipped other people way more than those 3.

Ben or Widmore?or Jacob?
    Ben! He's one crazy awesome dude.

4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I should probably answer my own questions.

I have to go with a hearty BOTH. The characters are rich and well developed; all of them. They interact in such a mysteriously ingenius and well thought out plot that I am constantly left with a hanging jaw when certain episodes, much lesss certain seasons, end.

Strangely more than anything else, I want to know the who, what, why, when, and where of that 4 Toed statue. Coming in a close second, Smokey.

For me, Charlie was sad, but had he really done anything all season leading up to his death? Also, I wouldn't mind having Boone in the mix, if for nothing more than to be a friend to Locke.

Jack or Locke?

Locke all the way. I dig his fierce spirituality and love of the island. He may have made some mistakes, but I really want to know what will happen to him in the end. His life prior to the island was a series of tragedies. His life on the island should end in triumph.

Plus, I'm tired of Jack's endless hero/savior complex. It has led him from intriguing leader (season one) to obssessive jerk (currently).

Skate or Jate?

I'm not invested in either, but Skate makes more sense to me. Jacket, too.

Ben or Widmore?or Jacob?

Ben is a man we love to hate. I've seen a villain like him on TV in some time.

Widmore is a scorned partner with a nefarious(?) purpose. He's still a mystery. I hear Dharma will be exposed in Season 5.

Jacob remains almost a complete mystery. I'll wait and see.

All that said, I'm surprised at the lack of LOST interest on this board. I would have thought that you/we Star Wars fan would find LOST a fascinating adventure.

5. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes! The 4-toed statue! That was such a cool and freaky moment. I really hope they do eventually get around to explaining some of the weird stuff like the statue, Dharma, the polar bears, the smoke, and how in blazes the island can be 'moved' by Ben turning that big metal wheel dealie.

I fear, however, that Lost could very well end up doing a Twin Peaks and turn out to not make a damn bit of sense in the end. :( :mad:

6. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello Bionic! It's wonderful to see you here.

As for the 4-toed statue, the polar bears and the 'donkey wheel' that moves the island, i think they are all connected. I've not read it myself, but I heard that the producers denied any Atlantis connection. Strange, considering the statue and the ancient technology that makes the island go POOF! Somehow they will have to explain the ancients.

I have a little more faith that the conclusion will make some sort of sense. My fear is that I might not like it.

7. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    The pleasure's all mine, brodie, this is a cool little thread you've created here (props on the thread's name btw, tis a clever one). ;)

Hmm, the island being Atlantis is an interesting theory, haven't heard that one before. Could link nicely with the whole 'moving the island' phenomenon. And 'Ancients', eh? Sounds vaguely Lovecraftian or something. [face_thinking]

Being that there's two plot bunnies right there (damn the NSWFF and its over-fertile fields of plot lettuce!), I shall do as your sig requests and hereby challenge you (or anyone else) to write a Lost fic where either the island is Atlantis or is inhabitated by a Cthulhu-like being. [face_mischief]

8. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I like the challenge, Bionic, but it's little broad for me. I also have to admit to knowing nothing of Lovecraft. However, I do a little about Atlantean mythology. Do you care to add a couple of speicifics to your challenge?

9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Not to let the Losties languish, I have a new discussion topic.

Who is your favorite character and why?

For me it's John Locke. He seems to be the spiritual core of the show and also the most connected to the island, which is the central mystery of the show.

Locke has made some bad decisions, but, over all, I love Terry O'Quinn and what he's done with this character.

You?

Bonus discussion: Why can't Jack and Locke just get along?

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Lost is rockin' this season!

What are your thoughts and predictions about how this season will wind up?

There is a lot of speculation about Daniel's relationship to Charlotte. Is she his daughter?

Jack seems to have hit rock bottom. There is only one plac to go from there: up. Do you see finally getting a clue?

What of Miles? Was he born on the island?

How will Locke (Bentham) get off the island? Is he really dead?

Any Richard fans out there?

Given all of these questions, with some answers as well, is anyone interested in a LOST fan fiction challenge?

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    OK, I'm flummoxed! I'm trying to wrap my mind around the lack of LOST love on this board.

It's a genre show. It's got mysterious science fiction elements. Cool characters. A gloriously complex storyline. If you're watching, why aren't you posting to this thread.

Perhaps I haven't given you enough to grab your interest.

Well, recent episodes have implied that there is a third party involved in the feud over the island. We know Ben Linus and Charles Widmore hate each other and are battling out who will control the island. But, do you know 'what is in the shadow of the statue'?

Uh-oh! Who are these guys?

12. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    The most obvious answer seems to be that they're working for Ben [face_thinking] Bram's words to Miles about being on "the side that's going to win," kind of echoed what Charles said to Locke earlier about their being a war coming, and that if Locke wasn't on the Island, "the wrong side is going to win."

There was also a strange moment between Iliana and Ben in "Dead is Dead" [face_thinking]

Anyway, I'd love to see more people writing Lost fics. I want to read them :p

13. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    There was also a strange moment between Iliana and Ben in "Dead is Dead".

True, but he blasted Cesar without a thought. That was surprising considering the show seemed to set him up as a leader of the 316 survivors.

14. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Caesar was a red-herring so you wouldn't see Iliana coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.