main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge 2013 question for mini challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I want your honest opinion guys. If I wrote a Luke Skywalker diary that took place while he was dating Callista...would you read it?

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Can I be brutally honest and say no? Not for an entire year. Would you even want to write a Luke/Callista story for a year?

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm not going to be nice to her.:p But maybe it would work better in a regular fic. I was thinking that although she had a young body, she really was of an entirely different generation from Luke. I was wondering how this would cause clashes.

Blame RedGold for getting me thinking about this today. She did a FB face palm on me because I said I used to like watching Phil Collins music videos. She called me old!!:_|

Anyway, I was going to ask my teenage son what things I do that drive him crazy and see if that would also bother Luke. For example, music would be different, Holoshows would probably be different, there was the difference in vision for the Jedi, I don't know. I wanted to come up with a story that I would purposely keep short and I wouldn't have another 95K diary on my hands.

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Um, no. I agree in the hands of a sympathetic writer the generational differences idea has some potential, but I don't see the point in bashing a character for an entire year. (Of course I don't see the point in character bashing stories ever, and I'm sure I'm not your target audience anyway.:p )

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    True...it wouldn't be bashing as much as the two coming to the conclusion that it wouldn't work. I think the only time I was really, really mean to Callista was in my story Life Sucks and then You Live On.

Meh, now I don't have an idea for a diary. This sucks.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Since I'm so far behind on my current one... How about if I restart it again and continue it for this year? The forum move and my own move really tripped me up. I can kick it off with a large recap, and summarize what little happened between where I last left off and what all is in the backlog. Seriously, not much happened.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Jedi_Lover I like the generation gap thing better for a short story. I feel that your audience might be very limited for that diary, not that that is a bad thing. If you want some ideas, just let me know.

TrakNar Don't feel bad: the move KILLED my diary this year, just when I got to the good stuff :(

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    All my good stuff I had planned for the end of this year, but that all was kicked to the curb, thanks to Pizza Run 2012. I could have started into it now, but I'd rather build up, and I got so far off-track that I lost my momentum entirely and the diary started just meandering around unfocused. For this next round, I'll just take a page from one of my writing books and start as close to the action as possible. I'll have some build-up, but I'm just going to jump into it, then start on the other stuff that I had planned, and finally move forward with what I originally had planned for December, but simply can't do.

So, the first attempt fell flat. The second try will be better.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    How about another OC diary, like I've done for 2012. For 2013 maybe I can do a journal of one of the children of my OC Mark Tantiss? Or is that pushing it? Not only is it an OC, but a son of an OC. o_O

I was thinking of writing about Talon Tantiss who looks like an overgrown version of Luke Skywalker (Because Mark, if he didn't dye his hair, grow a beard and color his irises, would look like an overgrown clone of Luke Skywalker) and that gets the sleemo holoshills talking about how they think young Talon is Luke's love child.

Would you read that Briannakin? If not I need help thinking of something to do.

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I might do a diary this year. I've been wanting to do one about Diya Skywalker, the OC I created for my I, Mara Jade universe. However, Diya spawned the idea for the main character in my original novels, so I might get bored/frustrated with it, even though they became two very different characters. Still, I think it would be hilarious to write about Diya, because basically, she's nuts.

The other idea I had was a Luke diary during FotJ.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Not if it's just to character bash. If it is an honest story to tell, yes, but not just to bash a character because you don't like her.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Alexis_Wingstar : No, it wouldn't be bashing. I wanted to discuss the generational problems but also the difficulty adapting to living in another person's body after having your conscious trapped in a computer for 30 years. I would think it would be like going from using twitter, FB, cell phones and the internet where you have input at your fingertips to going off the grid. She had probably millions of electronic signals coming through her showing the function of the Eye of Palpatine, but now she's in a body. I would think it would seem claustrophobic. And now she has to use a datapad to find out information when she could previously think about it and pull the information out of the computer banks. I would think it would be like my kids having to go down to the library and using the Publication index and then looking up microfiche to research a topic instead of Googling it.

How do you adjust to being taller, eating again, doing normal daily human things when you didn't have those concerns for decades?

As for Luke how does he adjust to interacting with what looks like his previous student...who he liked and he liked her fiancé. Doesn't he feel a little creepy about the situation. That is what I was going to talk about.

I know I joke about hating Callista, but I was very nice to her in The Journal of Mark Tantiss, The Ties That Bind, Force Bond, Love Stinks, Be Careful What You Wish For and Callista's Quest.

She also appeared in my story A Chance to Vent, The Hat, Don’t Listen to Strange Computers, and Love Sucks and Then You Live On. The last one is the only one where I portray her in a very bad light. I write a lot of Callista. o_O

When I said I wasn't going to be nice to her I meant this is not going to be a Luke/Callista 'shipping story. I was going to go over the difficulties that Hambly conveniently skimmed over. Now that I think of it it probably would be a better Callista Diary, than Luke's.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Jedi_Lover I'd love to read the journal of Mark's son. I think OC's diaries are fun if the oc is connected to interesting canon characters. Plus OC's give you much more freedom.

JediMara77 A Diya Skywalker story would be awesome! But I understand getting bored/frustrated with a character. The main character in my original novella is similar to my OC Beru Skywalker, so my stories about Beru have dropped off. A Beru Skywalker diary was one of my ideas for this year, but I quickly nixed the plot bunny.

A Luke Skywalker diary during Fotj would be interesting to read. I considered doing my Ben Skywalker diary during FOTJ, but that would require re-reading Omen and Ascension.

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Jedi_Lover, the last sentence you said was what I was thinking halfway through reading your post. [face_laugh] I think that would be a really fascinating diary, actually.

Briannakin, I don't think OC's have to be connected to canon characters to make them interesting. I did a diary of a slave boy from Tatooine who only knew Anakin as someone in his past. I received lots of interest in it.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd read a Luke/Callista diary. Luke has never struck me as being that suave and debonair with the ladies, and being somewhat awkward during a date. Must be his farmboy good looks. Either way, it would be interesting. Even if I'm reading it for a "Golly gosh, gee willikers, she KISSED me!" entry.

16. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    If you put enough thought into the idea, then you should try to write it in some form. It's actually a really good idea, and is something that is very readable if done in an honest fashion.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    For some reason, GLaDOS comes to mind...

mavjade likes this.
  18. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    The cake is a lie.

Briannakin and TrakNar like this.
  19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going to write Obi-Wan because I really want to get a better grasp of his character.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Okay, I have finally decided. I will do two diaries, both will be AU.

One will be in Before and will feature Palpatine's mom as she recovers from a horrible accident that took the life of her husband and left her in a coma for several weeks.

The second will be Anakin Skywalker, and will be related to "The Bond", but will take place just after the events in TPM.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'd like a better grasp of young Obi-Wan also.;) Yum!=P~

TrakNar likes this.
  22. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm looking forward to reading that.

Hey, no cutting! *Points to the back of the line* [face_laugh]

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Perhaps you should ask him for permission before you start getting gropey. :p

24. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    This is how I feel (though I was doing okay for a few weeks until October and November sucked my life away)- except not so much that the move killed my diary as it killed my entire fanfiction motivation or, for that matter, most of my interest in the Boards as a whole.
    I wrote SO MUCH last year. And then just plummeted with the... how many months did the pizza run take? DRL played a part in that too, but man.
    I need to go on an epic EU reread to spur my Star Wars muse again. Or just wait for Scoundrels to hopefully kick off my interest again. :D

25. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Oh, and on the subject of a Diary 2013... I'm torn. I really liked my plan for 2012 and thought it was going awesomely until everything got wacky with the move and all, so it would be fun to start over with a new diary scheme. But now I'm torn. I know there shouldn't be another move-like incident next year, but I'm still so incredibly frustrated by the lack of resolution on the formatting issues and stuff that I'm not really into doing much fanfic-wise on here at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.