main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Palpatine foresee ALL of this?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JBRO13, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The general trend of responses on this thread is refreshing. I've always thought Palpatine's power was over-rated, as it was obvious that he didn't plan many of the things that were going to happen.

For instance:

1. Darth Maul's death. If he'd truly trained someone from birth to be a Sith, only to plan for him to die in an inconsequential battle against two Jedi that was already part of a larger, loosing battle, the tide of which he could not reverse, then Palpatine would just be an idiot.

2. If he foresaw Anakin, why bother with either Dooku or Maul? That doesn't even make sense.

3. If he foresaw Vader, why did he let himself die?

4. If he truly forsees everything, why does he ever need to be told anything? For instance, wouldn't Dooku's "everythign is going according to plan" seem redundant and obvious to him at the end of AOTC?

5. If he foresaw the Jedi's involvement in TPM, then why, in his very first scene, say that that fact forced them to "acccelerate their plans?" Wouldn't the plans have already accounted for the Jedi if he had forseen them?

6. If he foresaw Amidala's actions, why does he say, and I quote "this is an unexpected move for her?" Or even better, his comment that "the Jedi will not become involved" in the retkaing of Theed, when clearly they did.

The verdict has been in on this on for a long time. Palpatine is a guy whose wit and ability to strategize on-the-fly is exceeded only by his arrogance (unfortunately, it is greatly exceeded). I am oftne times appauled that people believe this guy, who uses more hyperbole than Donald Trump. Kudos to you guys to seeing through the BS. . .

2. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    Everything? No. A lot? Yes. He saw possible outcomes is my guess. He is just great at altering his plan based on what comes his way. In TPM he probably assumed he would take over Naboo via the Trade Federation without a problem and use that to get him in the Chancellors spot. The Trade Federation didn't take over Naboo and his Sith appriantice was killed. Did it work how he wanted exactly? No, but it worked well enough to become Chancellor and he got a new appriantice one that would work better in the next step of his plan of causing war. So far what we have seen in AOTC & Epi III everything after tTPM incident has gone his. The war worked, he became Emperor and he stoped the threat of the chosen one(stopped it in his eyes at least) by making him a sith and the Jedi were on their way to extinction. Everything pretty much works to how he forsaw it for the next 20 years untill ANH and everything starts to go wrong and he doesn't even know it because he became so confidant in his abilities. As Luke said his overconfidence brought his downfall.

Woo I went a bit off the forseeing subject but he did forsee things, just not everything. His forsight wouldn't be of much use if he wasn't so quick on his feet to alter his plans(pre-ANH at least).

3. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    The extent of Palpatine's foresight exists only in his ability to create a trap that is bent upon all possibilities. His plans have always allowed him achieve victory no matter what outcome is brought forth. I don't believe at any time did he know the true process from which he would become victor. But knew how to create a web of events that each piece worked with another to form only one final schenario.

I also feel that the reason for his overconfidence before Luke was so he could be viewed as a figure who is vastly more powerful and "wiser" than Yoda. He played upon the question that rested in Luke's mind as to why Anakin turned.

4. ImperialBA

ImperialBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2004
    Palpy forsaw a bunch of stuff, but not everything because he messed up what he thought he forsaw.

Palpy knew that if Anakin had any children then they would be a threat to him. Palpy thought that son of skywalker would defeat him. He was right, but not in the way he thought.

It was because of Luke that Vader, the person that Palpy never ever suspected, became the threat. Palpy only saw one part of the future. Even his outlook was cloudly. He became so blinded by Luke that he didn't realize that Anakin was slowly coming back.

It also gives new meaning to the "your faith in your friends is yours" weakness. Palpy didn't have any faith in anyone except Vader. Vader was Palpy's weakness. He just never saw it. It was Vader who defeated Palpy, not Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.