main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Yoda retain his lightsabre after his battle with Sidious?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by sithcult_109, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda's trying to get the hell outta dodge. He got his butt kicked. He crawled away with his "tail between his legs". What Yoda taught Luke on Dagobah was with remotes and a few metal bars that he took from the escape pod. He never trained Luke how to fight with a Lightsaber, per say. He tested and honed Luke's reflexes. If he really trained him with a Lightsaber, Luke would be fighting more like the Jedi used to, rather than the way he does later on.

Anyway, Luke's training on Dagobah was only see in the novelization and the Marvel Comics adaptation. Both versions did not show Yoda using a Lightsaber. I don't know what the current young adult adaptations, which were written in recent years, would say.

Well he didn't have it in the films. In the eu, he did, but he lost it at some point or decided to never take it out again. Yoda did just fine for 20 some years without a Lightsabers.

2. DarthRevan1944

DarthRevan1944 Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    I think yoda lost his lightsaber but he most likely built him another saber. Another very interesting thing is luke lost vaders blue lightsaber,but how would luke have made his new green saber without yoda teaching him the specs of how to construct a lightsaber as yoda was the only jedi living with the knowledge of the construction.Any thoughts...........

3. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Yoda's trying to get the hell outta dodge. He got his butt kicked. He crawled away with his "tail between his legs".

Yoda also loses his cloak in order to "get the hell outta dodge." And yet on Polis Massa, Yoda, "magically" gains a new cloak! So who's to say that Yoda doesn't also have extra lightsabers as well?

4. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Yoda never thought about that lightsaber again after Palpatine's lightning knocked it from his grasp. Plus as stated already, he had to get out of there. Sidious, Mas Ameeda, and the clone troopers wanted him dead.

5. jedi_master117

jedi_master117 Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2005
    Well in the movie when he falls from the senate middle thing it drops on the ground and yoda crawls away... im watchin it now

6. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    but how would luke have made his new green saber without yoda teaching him the specs of how to construct a lightsaber as yoda was the only jedi living with the knowledge of the construction.Any thoughts....

Ben left everything Luke needed in his hut on Tatooine.
    I guess those Jawas REALLY respected Kenobi's turf.

I always wanted to believe, since TPM, that the green crystal in
    Ben's hut used by Luke belonged to Qui Gon Jin.
    There's no evidence for this, just something I've always liked.
    Then again, I wanted Mon Mothma to be Luke and Leia's mother from
    ROTJ until TPM.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke's Lightsaber was constructed on Tatooine, using information that Obi-wan kept for him. Besides, it's not that difficult. Just get the necessary parts and set to work. Luke had his father's for three years and studied it in detail. The crystal was created artificially.

You can buy them at any five and dime store. Yoda didn't take a second Lightsaber with him and he didn't build a second one.

8. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    ThankYou DS, to DS you will all listen!

9. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000
    Strategically it would be better for Yoda to leave his lightsabre in the Senate chamber. Sidious most certainly had the clones search every square inch of the chamber looking for signs of Yoda. If his cloak and and lightsabre are found but there are no signs of a body then it's possible that he died and literally vanished into thin air. If the lightsabre is gone then Yoda is still alive and that would make tracking him down a top priority for Sidious.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Sidious knew that Obi-wan and Yoda survived, but he wasn't concerned. They were running scared along with the rest. In time, Sidious figured that Yoda was dead and that Obi-wan would soon be as well. That's why Vader never considered that Luke was being trained by anyone other than Obi-wan. And that he could no longer help Luke.

11. qui-gon-kim

Apr 19, 2001
    he didn't build a second one.

But the films NEVER explicitly say this, so you cannot say this for certain and leaving the possibility of Yoda having another saber, especialy since other characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, Sidious and Luke have new sabers after losing their previous ones. Also, EU sources say that Yoda DOES have a lightsaber on Dagobah.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    1. Lucas showed Yoda dropping his saber to make it clear that it does not go with him to Dagobah.

2. The eu doesn't count according to Lucas. Only the films do. And since he never whips it out in TESB, it means that he doesn't have it.

3. Yoda never uses it when confronted by Jorj Car'das or when training Luke.

4. Anakin, Obi-wan and Luke had the time and facilities to build a saber. Palpatine had two. Yoda is never seen with another Lightsaber at all. The novelization doesn't count, even being line edited by Lucas. And we're told that the films always come first.

Face it, Yoda was unarmed and this is explains why Luke's a **** poor swordsman compared to the other Jedi.

13. qui-gon-kim

Apr 19, 2001
    1. Lucas showed Yoda dropping his saber to make it clear that it does not go with him to Dagobah.

PPOR. Since Lucas has not said this explicitly, nor has Yoda never said to Luke "Lost my saber I did, no longer do I need one" in the films, you cannot say definitively that Yoda doesn't have a saber on Dagobah.

14. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003

15. Darth_Caboose1982

Darth_Caboose1982 Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2006
    I think Droid hit the nail on the head there. Yoda had been learning from Qui Gon, so he knew that when he died he would become one with the force. His cloak lands on the pole next to him so it would look like his body had been empaled on the pole. Then later when Vader strikes down Obi-Wan in ANH and he dissapears, Sidious and Vader put 2 and 2 together and assumed the same thing happening to Yoda. Yoda leaves his lightsaber to trick Sidious into thinking he's dead.

This is my first and only post (had to sign up especially) since i've been visiting this site for about 7 years. It's been a fun ride. Take care

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They never found Yoda's body and so they knew he wasn't dead. This is what's said by Mas Amedda and Palpatine.

As to the Lightsaber, no Lucas didn't say anything. But it's all in the intent. Yoda drops his Lightsaber. That means it doesn't go with him. And since we do no see Yoda using his Lightsaber on Dagobah, the conclusion is that he doesn't have one. If Lucas wanted to show Yoda training Luke with a Lightsaber, he would've added a scene with CGI Yoda fighting a stand-in dressed as Luke and put it in TESB in 2004. Yoda's unarmed for the last twenty some years of his life. He doesn't need a Lightsaber, because the Force is his ally and he's safe on Dagobah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.