main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disney buying Lucasfilm????

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ObiAlKenobi, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I hope that's the case mate, I really do, but I'm still not happy for some reason. I just feel sad inside.

2. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    My only fear is this.

Every Star Wars Blu-ray that 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros. have released in Australia have been direct copies of the American version. With Disney, we always seem to get short-changed with the extras, and all the consultants say is "You have to be aware, the contents will be different in each region."

3. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    BEST NEWS IN SW HISTORY! Lucas has finally let it go (for a cool $4Billie of course). I never thought it would happen until he wrote his will. Unreal!!!

Finally, a chance for real writers, directors and stories. Finally, the Emperor has been defeated and dismissed. Finally a chance for a half-decent SW film.
    Finally a chance for the franchise to be redeemed.

This is....A NEW HOPE!!!

4. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Do these films need more money??? The bloated budgets accomplished nothing. The movies looked bland, sterile and over-digitized. Lord willing, there will be a smaller budget for these films. How about actually filming in real locations? How about using real actors in costume? How about using CGI to enhance not be the star of the film? Imagine the possibilities now that the Emperor has been defeated.

5. Ballowall

Ballowall Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
  6. cggunnersmate

cggunnersmate Jedi Master star 1

Jul 24, 2007
    TRON: Legacy was pretty good despite some confusing issues with the whole Iso's, digital DNA yada yada. Definitely not a kiddie popcorn flick. I think this gives us a chance at some real creativity and new fresh ideas in SW.

Lets face it, GL came up with an amazing universe, he has great ideas but isn't always great with the execution. He's still attached as a creative consultant so he'll still have some input but he won't be the sole controlling factor which could be very good thing. But the EU has been suffering. Some people love all the Del Rey era stuff but I don't. There used to be a wide range of authors and plenty of stand alone books for the big 3 plus room for aniciliary characters (think X-Wing series which are some of the best SW books IMO).

But now they're locked into a depressing cycle of big arc's all these 9+ book series that's all about making money. Seriously, ALL FOTJ books being released in hardcover. How is that not a scam? I like Aalston from his Wraith Squadron books but he and Denning have way too much exclusivity in writing the big plot books. I don't include Golden, she's new and I think is just a filler to give Aallston and Denning time to write.

Bring back Zahn, bring back Stackpole. Bring in some quality new blood. Let J.M. Strazynski have a shot at SW.

Who knows we could see the Thrawn Trilogy realized in film either live action with new actors (worked for Star Trek) or even with Hamil, Ford and Fischer as voice over in a CGI version. Disney has plenty of experience there and not just with Pixar.

And I would really have no problem if they decide to pull a Dallas and have in he EU, Luke Skywalker wake up say at the end of the Thrawn Trilogy and the last 30 years of in Universe time was all a dream/vision and reset it there.

I think this can be a good thing.

7. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, hopes for the next trilogy to be based off of the Thrawn trilogy is now laid to rest. They've just announced the the new trilogy will be an original story and not based on any of the novels. Unless they're saying this to throw us off track, hopes of seeing those books in movie format is dead. I'm okay with this, as long as we still get Mara Jade.

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Remake of THX 1138 anyone?

9. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    I'm a little hesitant. When Disney originally bought Power Rangers, as the years went by the show got less and less respect. ie No promotion, airing at a ridiculous time etc.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No thx, it's one of the best SF movies ever made, a remake would be a travesty.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Really? See, I think the hopes of seeing an adaptation of the novels in an animated or live action format of some type, film or TV is greater now than ever. Disney will want to leverage(i.e squeeze dollars out of) all the existing SW stories they can.

I'm very optimistic we will see Thrawn realized on screen.

How about Michael Fassbender?

Wait, Armand Assante was my original pick years ago.

12. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, we may see Thrawn on the big screen, heaven knows that's what I want more than anything, but unless Disney is laying out false information, they said that the new trilogy will be original stories, and not based on the novels. They seem content on ignoring the EU and starting over. That doesn't mean that they won't borrow characters from the EU. George Lucas did that in the prequel trilogy. He's going to be the consultant on the next trilogy, possible have a major role in the story creation, so whose to say He won't do it again. I want to see Thrawn and I want to see Mara Jade.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I wasn't talking about the new trilogy. I was talking about their additional revelation about a SW film every 2-3 years from then on as well as other content.

14. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    From Variety:
    Disney likely to treat Lucasfilm like Pixar - Lucasfilm will face task of ramping up production

15. Samurai-Jack

Nov 9, 2001
    From Variety:'
    Disney sees Q4 profits rise, touts Lucasfilm integration - Bob Iger says acquisition of 'Star Wars' brand will 'further fuel Disney's creative engine'

16. Samurai-Jack

Nov 9, 2001
    Perspective: It's a brand-news day in Hollywood

17. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    With the news of Episode VII, did George decide it himself or did Disney pressure him?

18. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    yeah! just read from an article, 4billion dollars.

19. Samurai-Jack

Nov 9, 2001
    The E.T. Sequel That Never Was - Spielberg sheds some light on the darker side of E.T. and his pals.

George Lucas' attack of the clones - There was a reason why Spielberg let 'E.T.' stay home

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand how selling LFL to Disney was neccessary? TCW is successful, and Kennedy or Katie Lucas could take over Star Wars.

21. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    This should be explode with Likes.