main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do people like Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by CarbonKnight, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_knight22

jedi_knight22 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I agree with StormChewieJedi she's HOT [face_love]
    I do like her a lot. She is one the most important parts in the Star Wars triogly.

2. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I like her character and she is one of the more important characters in the saga. And as others have said she is hot.

3. Yoda_Fett

Yoda_Fett Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I like Padme a lot, and she has a very important role in these prequels. I feel we will get a lot emotions from her in episode III as well.

Oh yeah she's really hot too.

4. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I agree... I think Lucas...wanted to save the important emotions for ep3... because as we all know... ep3 is going to be dark dark dark and sad sad sad. and so on. we saw a most of the emotions in aotc. and thats good... but the Important emotions are in ep3.. :) And Natalie talented. I don't blame her. Blame the directing. I don't hate lucas...i still think he should have done better. As For natalie, Leave Her ALONE!!! Or else...I will send a group of my clones in here... hehehe :p lol. :) Anyways... Peace! :cool:

5. yodoa

yodoa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    padme's hot really really hot[face_love]

who cares what other people think she is hotter then the sun

bye my initels are BTW

6. Stage

Stage Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    I think she's a flat/boring/dull character. Unclear kinda, in a negative way (not as in 'complex').

It might be the actresses fault, I don't know... but I wasen't impressed by the acting.

7. PadmeChik89

PadmeChik89 Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    i think padme's cool.she's my role modle.yes,she is a bit dull-but's she's pretty.and smart.and lucky-she marries anakin.

love-padme
    Ps-i'm a newbie-talk to me!

8. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    I love her. Probably my favorite character of the Prequels.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    For those who think Padme is flat/dull/boring, lets take a look at things shall we? Padme has spent practically all of her young adult life in politics. POLITICS people. She's not in a rock band, she's not an actress, Padme the practical is a politician. Have you ever watched CSPAN? Bet not, you'd be asleep in 10 minutes w/ how boring it is to watch daily politics.

Padme was elected queen because she is level headed. Her Kabooki queen costumes, although Asian in design, give you an Elizabethan quality, that she is a virgin queen- unspoiled by emotion or lust.

On the surface, yes, Padme seems somewhat emotionless and dull. However, listen to what she says and how she behaves. This pacifist young queen who was tricked by Palpatine to overthrow Valorum from being Chancellor, turns right around, and devises a 3 pronged attack on the invading TF forces and ends up saving Naboo. She also picks her own locks to avoid being catfood, fights pretty well, and doesn't scream for help when most heroines would in other films.

She has a reckless spirit to her, Typho alludes to this. Having been a queen- she's used to being in charge of things, and for people to either treat her w/false compliments or to fear her.

As for how she behaves towards Anakin, remember she was able to trick him and Obi-Wan into thinking she was a handmaiden years ago. She doesn't know Anakin the man yet- she has spent her whole life avoiding emotional attachments (gee would have made her the perfect Jeid huh?) By the time they reach Naboo, Anakin's shown himself to mostly still be like the little boy she knew, he has yet to earn her respect entirely-although she is fascinated by him. The fact that he will dare to argue with her bothers her, because she's not used to people openly disagreeing with her outside of a political arena. She finds him charming because he has a naivity to him. His take on politics is different than hers- she finds him puzzling.

By the time Anakin opens up to her by the fire, you can tell Padme is completely in distress w/ herself. Her whole life is becoming unbalanced. The farther she gets away from politics, the more the risk taker in her surfaces. She feels Anakin's pain on Tatooine and it draws her to him. She finds herself in a strange place where she is needed as a person, not as a figurehead. The more she and Anakin are together, the more she abandons the emotionless front that she's shown for so long. Her love pledge is spoken w/ more emotion than she has emoted at any other point in either film, and I think that fact is significant.

I think Padme will be an entirely different person at least in the beginning of EP III. AOTC shows her breaking loose of this shell that she's had built around her for years. She's allowing herself to feel human- which according to the look on her face at her own wedding- terrifies her. The thing is- when Anakin is gone, and all hope and joy is gone from her life, I think our early impressions of Padme can best explain Leia's comments about her "She was very beautiful, kind, but sad."

10. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I don't think she's boring. She doesn't have the same spark as Leia, but she's more than her equal in the action babe stakes :)

11. PRINCESS_C

PRINCESS_C Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    I think Padme is a very good character.... I think we need to see her in as much detail as well as Anakin if we are to better understand Leia and Luke. I really like Natalie Portman, but there are a new scenes where I think she could have done better... but then again, its hard to react to a chacater that isn't even actually in front of you, but will rather be added by a computer later.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Not so much boring as much as plain stupid.

She falss in love with a guy ('totally, deeply') who's just slaughtered a whole tribe ('women, children') keeps whining about his mentor ('...holding me baaack!', '...jealous!') while, let's face it, Padme doesn't even really know the guy, and keeps bringing a bad atmostphere to conversations ('excuse ME!', 'Why would I follow your lead?')
    She falls in love with this guy. Would you?

And I don't like people that like people I don't like. Therefore I don't like Padme. She's stupid.

Natalie is alright though.

13. someoneplzhelpme

someoneplzhelpme Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't think that she is dull at all. She's a vital part of the PT, and i think that Portman does a good job of portraying her.

14. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    One reason some people may not care for Padme is that she's one of 3 main characters in the prequels, but it just so happens those other 2 are Star Wars legands that fans have waited 20 years to watch. They already had a story, fans were attached to them already. Whereas all Padme has to build on is 1 single line, "she was very beautiful, but sad". The Padme character is much harder to people care about than the Anakin and Obiwan characters, they had depth before the prequels, Padme has to start from nothing.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's not it. She's just dumb.

16. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    They must. They elected her Queen when she was only 14...

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Slave2 Excellent point!!

18. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Enough!! Did you read PadmeLeiaJaina's post?? HOLY **** I understand it now!! I understand Padme's Character! Don't you ppl get it?? Im with you Padme ;) lol. Grrr!! Leave Padme Alone!! She's the missing link to the OT. Therefore, You should not think she's stupid or dumb or..dull...or..or... whatever you said... Padme... Is...Hot!! Who's With Me??

19. QuiGonJinn84

QuiGonJinn84 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 1999
    Padme is not undeveloped, in the slightest.

She is just not as hard edge as Leia. She has a bit of it in her, but she comes from a different time. We are not meant to know her as we knew Leia. Leia is the other hope, she is the last hope, and she is the figure head of the alliance. Padme's importance relies in her relationship to her husband and to her children, she is a very intimate character though we dont get into her mind as much as we do with Leia. Im sure we will with Episode III.

Can't you picture the inevitable scene of her giving birth to Luke and Leia without Anakin present? How about when she names Luke and Leia and then must say good bye to Luke?

It breaks my heart thinking about it. I care about the tragedy that will befall her. I really CARE that something tragically awful will happen. And whenever I watch the original movies I see Leia and think of how much she looks like her mother, or I see Vader in ESB and RotJ and constantly think that he has Padme in the back of his mind - the remaining good within him.

She is not meant to be a character vital to impacting events through her actions - she is a vessel of pure love, for Anakin and for her children, its how she impacts their lives that makes her a great character.

20. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Relax!! There's still ep3. We don't know if Padme will give birth on screen. GODSAKES!!! Dammit!! Wait for ep3...

21. little susie jedi

little susie jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000

PadmeLeiaJaina,

very well stated, I agree with you completely.

22. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
  23. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

I DO NOT LIKE PADME-AMIDALA.

She's BORING and DULL. And the fact that all people is worried in protecting her, it's disgusting.

I do not like her voice too. Is ANNOYING.

If she's pretty or not, it is not the problem.

By the way, I prefer ZAM. Her glance is very sexy.

Do I explain myself clear?

24. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I like Padme. She's kind, she has courage, she's smart, and most importantly, she has unconditional love for Anakin, and that is enough for me.

25. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    For those who think Padme is flat/dull/boring... (+too much more to quote) :D

I agree PLJ. I'll admit that I wasn't too enthralled with the performance at first, but as I studied it
    more I realized it was spot-on. This is just one of the problems that arises when you have
    a character that is trying her best to be completely emotionless around another character that is
    over-the-top emotionally.

The more I watch it, the more I feel for Padme and appreciate the acting job NP did in AotC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.