main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Hayden Christensen was the right character to portray anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by AnakinSkywalkerFan_, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSkywalkerFan_

AnakinSkywalkerFan_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    definitly he like had all the style and different emotions!!! he mad anakin belevable

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Chistensen is no actor, nor is Portman. The general consensus of most people who have no clue what they're talking about is that "oh, Hayden is a great actor." It's no longer an opinion, but a fact and Hayden absolutely sucks as the role of Anakin, and as an actor in general. The shallow attempts of emotion Hayden tried we're failed miserably. Anyone could do as "good" of a job as being Anakin as Hayden did. Anyone could make a puffy face or a fake smile. That's no acting, that's Simon Says. So, to answer your question, I'll give a big fat no.

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Natalie Portman is an Academy Award nominated actress. Hayden Christianson has been nominated both for a Golden Globe and for a SAG award. To say that you are disappointed with their performances in Attack of the Clones is one thing, but to say that they "suck" is something completely different.

I like you Smuggler, but your choice of words really takes away, in my opinion, any credibility that you may have.

4. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Do you think Hayden Christensen was the right character to portray anakin?

Absolutely and I'm glad for him and I'm glad for us STAR WARS fans that Hayden Christensen got the role. =D= :cool:

5. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    It's no longer an opinion, but a fact and Hayden absolutely sucks as the role of Anakin, and as an actor in general.

Your opinion could be judged in much the same way. Perhaps you should actually watch some of his other material, and do not presume to pass off your own petty views as gospel.

6. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    Hayden was the right choice to play anakin..if you think that he is a bad actor becuase of the ATOC then check he other work...very good..

Hayden and Natalie are good on screen together...it was a good choice over all by george lucas...they make a great team..:)

7. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Hayden may be good actor,but I have imagined Anakin absolutely differently and I think that he was horrible choice.

8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Do you think HC was the right character to portray Anakin?

Again the same question, ha?!?
    In my opinion, HC is excelent Anakin. It is a very difficult role nad he did a very good job. Bravo =D= !
    But this question has been asked a million times. And people have been fighting over and over again about this. I guess that an objective answer to this question will never be fully answered.

Seagoat likes this.
  9. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "The general consensus of most people who have no clue what they're talking about is that "oh, Hayden is a great actor.""

Its always exciting for an elder actor to work with a younger actor who has great talent, but I didnt know it would be quite as exciting as its turned out to be

Yep...that Ian Mcdiarmid, he knows nothing at all about acting, a complete idiot.

"It's no longer an opinion, but a fact and Hayden absolutely sucks as the role of Anakin, and as an actor in general."

Surely that kind of childish arrogance in one's own beliefs is at very least deserving of a warning. People stating their opinions as irrefutable facts has to be the number one problem with these message boards. I personally think Hayden's been fine in the role, and from what Ive seen of episode 3 he gives a great performace. He also received almost universal praise for his role in "Shattered glass." So no, it is not "a fact" that he "sucks" as an actor, in fact Id recomend you go and look up exactly what "facts" and "opinions" are, because you appear to be unsure.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm sorry, Smuggler, but your post sucks big time.

Hayden Christensen is the perfect Anakin Skywalker
    /LM

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Maybe. I bet they could have found someone better.

The actors in the OT saved those movies. I've read some of the dialogue and it sounds horrible. But Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and the others made it sound believable.

I don't think he had any chemistry with Natalie Portman. And they were always too formal. It might be mostly GL's fault for writing bad dialogue but they could have reworded their lines to make things sound better.

We'll see. He might do a better job in RotS. I might be more or less harsh on him after May.

12. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    What's that strange thing he does with his mouth? It's like he's struggling not to smile or something.... Is he chewing something, or licking the underside of his lips? Jake never did that.

13. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I believe he did a decent job as Anakin. Remember when they were saying that Leonardo Dicaprio was up for the part. Now that would have been bad. Hayden makes the role believable and while some of his emotions may look forced and awkward, it also adds to his inner struggle. I've seen some of his other films and he is decent in them too.

And Smuggler, Natalie Portman is an amazing actress. She's been nominated for Academy Awards and puts such a unique and believable spin on all of her characters. The only thing that brought her down in AOTC was the dialogue. I mean come on, you try to say "If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion" and make it as believable as saying "If you actually think about it". She also gained a bigger appreciation for her role as Padme with the new trailer's line "Anakin you're breaking my heart." SHe pulled it off perfectly. You can feel the despair and loss for words in her voice and it seems so innocent and sad. I can tell she is putting her all into ROTS. That is all.

14. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    i for one believe Hayden was the right ACTOR to play the CHARACTER...

15. AnakinSkywalkerFan_

Apr 1, 2005
    totally rock on duuude

16. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think Hayden does a great job as Anakin. Never had a problem with the performance, really, and I always like his other work. Same with Natalie Portman (who really seems to be moving up in Hollywood as of late).

IMO, the big problem in AOTC for them is the directing and the script. Most of that dialogue was purposefully bad, but it stills comes off as, y'know, bad. :p Lucas says that Anakin and Padme's characters worked together as he wanted them to - and to a degree, I can see he was going. Both of them are character who are intense but uncomfortable with intimate emotion. Problem is, the underlying chemistry wasn't carried out on screen. I'm hoping that as the relationship is more mature in ROTS, the chemistry will carry over better as well.

17. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Hayden i think was the perfect Anakin

that guy is not only strong on cinema but he's a very good person in the real world as can be seen in his interviews he is a very humbler person and this only adds to liking him..

but back to the movie i think he did a great job portraying a guy who has been taken away from a completely different world and brought into an even stranger world of being a Jedi. confusion.

Hayden doesn't just make expressions with his faces... and when he does he does some GREAT expressions like no other actor. I have not been impressed by another actors facial expressions as i have Hayden's

Anakin is a guy growing up... a guy in love. I can really relate to the way he acts on screen because..thats me on screen, saying the same things and making the same mistakes. The guys who bash him are those who can't relate.

yeap..Hayden was perfectly cast

18. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    I have to say that Hayden is a really good actor. Anybody who say Life as a House could agree with me. I did not however think that he made a good Anakin. It wasn't his fault as far as I can see. He did the best with what he had to work with. The dialogue wasn't very good at times and at other times he seemes to whiny. Don't blame Hayden though, it wasn't his fault.

19. AnakinSkywalkerFan_

Apr 1, 2005
    i totally agree with that statement!!!

20. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

"Natalie Portman is an Academy Award nominated actress. Hayden Christianson has been nominated both for a Golden Globe and for a SAG award."

Respectfully: Its funny how awards mean something when it fits for a persons argument. If I was to bring up the fact that Lucas gets no awards and Peter Jackson is showered with them, people would scream bloody-murder that awards mean NOTHING.

Anyway, I havnt seen any movies other than the prequels that star Hayden and Portman. Based on Portmans performance in these films I see her as a terrible actress, in turn, creating a terrible character at the same time.

Hayden is not a great actor but his problem lies in George's writing and "directing". Hayden is left to fend for himself on the set without being directed, given horrible things to say, and having Lucas wrap up shots in one take. I admire Hayden for taking it upon himself to try to do something with his character rather than just let it be like the obviously disinterested Portman.

21. yodagirl02

yodagirl02 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Hayden did a great job with what he was given (aka the script). I think he is a great actor especially in Life as A House and Shattered glass, and he has a great voice and persona to be Anakin. I think it will only get better as he is given more interesting things to do in ROTS, and he does a great job with the angry stuff, so watching him turn to the dark side should be a great performance.

22. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I wouldn't scream bloody murder. PJ's trilogy has outshined GL's in almost every step of the way, but that is not the point. Just to be clear; ROTK is only my favorite NON-starwars movie.

I don't see how anyone can say that HC (and NP) are bad actors. They were professionally cast by a casting director. Can anyone else here say they know more about what kind of actor is right for a particular role than Robin Gurland? I don't know her full credintials, but GL does not slum it when it comes to his crew. He doesn't have to. He made 120 million dollars in 1 day last year. HC radiates such internal conflict in every scene he is in, that I am totally convinced by his performance. I believe totally that he is, both, the little boy from TPM and pre-Darth Vader. I love HC as Anakin. He makes ATOC for me, and I can only imagine, based on what I've seen in the trailers, that he will rock in ROTS. There is so much conflict and power in the one word he says to Mace in ROTS. "What?" I love it.

23. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "Its funny how awards mean something when it fits for a persons argument. If I was to bring up the fact that Lucas gets no awards and Peter Jackson is showered with them, people would scream bloody-murder that awards mean NOTHING."

That's different because both Lucas and Jackson are DIRECTORS, not actors. Everyone is talking about awards for actor performance.

24. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Respectfully: Its funny how awards mean something when it fits for a persons argument. If I was to bring up the fact that Lucas gets no awards and Peter Jackson is showered with them, people would scream bloody-murder that awards mean NOTHING.

I've personally never complained about that, since I always felt Star Wars was up against deserving movies when it lost (nor was the OT really all that complex and powerful a story, just the way it was told). But if I were to take issue with it, it'd be more along the lines of pointing out that Peter Jackson already has his entire story laid out for him by Tolkien, whereas Lucas pieced his story himself. But, as I don't take issue, that isn't a problem for me. Jackson did an excellent job with LOTR, even if I don't like movies/story myself. (As a note, I really didn't agree with ROTK sweeping the awards as it did and think alot of them were awarded for the over all effort behind LOTR rather than just ROTK, but I don't control the minds at the academy and can only speculate from what I saw. Nor am I saying this is a particularly awful thing, just something that struck me as odd when I looked back on it.)

If you don't like the actors, that's fine. They didn't do it for you and that's a failure on their part. But the point still stands that the academy doesn't generally nominate actresses who positively suck. :p And acting is so subjective, anyway...I actually spoke to someone once who felt Hayden Christensen was the standout performance in AOTC, even commenting that they thought Ewan McGregor below par his usual game. So it takes all types.

25. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Wow, I sense much anger.

I think Hayden did a great job in ATOC, and made the Anakain character believable as no longer a boy, not quite a man. He shows arrogance at the same time as uncertainty. And I could see the inner struggle within him to remain in control. I enjoyed his performance even if some did not, and could not imagine Anakin being portrayed by another actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.