main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Kyp Durron will fall to the dark side?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kanos_fel, Aug 6, 2001.

?

Do you think Kyp Durron will fall to the dark side?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. yes

28.6%
  2. no

47.6%
  3. he already has

23.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanos_fel

kanos_fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
  2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Kyp's fallen once already and returned. That does not mean he'll fall again. However, his current actions are more than just aggresion. In fact, he's being overly aggresive. And he's being deceitful and manipulating, without showing any sign that he truely regrets doing so. I think it is easy to see that if he thinks using the dark side to get rid of the Vong will help, then he'll do it. And he is likely to do just that.

He's been to the dark side once, and knows that it was more than just Exar Kun's temptations that took him there. While Kun did play a major part the first time around, Kyp knows everything that lead him to that fate. And he's chooseing to ignore them so that he can justify his actions.

I know that there will be plenty of folks who will disagree with me. That is there right. But they are not going to change my view of what has become of a once decent character. Indeed, after he was brought back from the dark side, he was a decent character again. But now, he is doing things he would have cringed at the thought of back then. Things that would have been more in line with the dark Kyp.

3. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    I think Kyp will definately turn to the dark side. Right now he is loving the way his dozen looks to him as a leader. He admits this in Rebirth. Then he goes off and manipulates some key players in the GFFA. This makes me look at Kyp as a wanna-be Palpatine who plans to manipulate the jedi and eventually take over the galaxy

Nightsun

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I think he's already succumbed to the darkside but doesnt realize it yet. He is definitely overly aggresive.

5. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I too think he's already fallen. He simply doesn't realize it yet. Oh, not the way he did first, but a more subtle fall, one that's not likely to be noticed easily for a good deal of time.

6. Major_Derek_Klivian

Major_Derek_Klivian Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2001
    Why is Kyp suddenly overly aggressive? He's the only one who is actually fighting a war, instead of a rearguard action like Luke and his 'great river.' Kyp has walked the fine line of the dark side his whole life, on one side and the other, and I think he's too tough and smart to fall again.

7. DarkJediCaius

DarkJediCaius Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2001
    I don't think he has turned right now and I don't see him turning at all.
    That has been done and it would look really corny if they had him turn again.
    I think he will always be on that fine line though. It makes more sense after the experiences he has been through.

8. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Id say there is more chance of Jacen marrying Jaina than Kyp turning

9. BobaFett0000

BobaFett0000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2001
    I think he will, definitely. In other books, he has fallen to the Dark Side once, he could fall to the Dark Side again. He has also been acting overly aggresive. I think that if he hasn't already fallen again, he is dangerously close to doing so. I think he will.

10. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a good thing kyp's not a real person. he gets slandered so bad that alone would send him to the darkside.

kyp's just as likely to turn as other former darksiders like luke and kam. maybe even less likely since he was possesed and the others weren't.

11. kanos_fel

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't know if he will turn or not... probably not, cause he always been on the limit. As for saying that he is less likely to fall because he was possessed by Exar Kun, iI don't agree. After all, in order for Kun to get to him, Kyp had to be open to the idea, or at least be inclined to the facility , the power and the rapidity of the dark side.

12. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    i dont think kyp will, he's not an important enough character. i would rather see jacen go. i think they are playing kyp a bit like han was in ANH.

13. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    My vote says no, but even if he does I'll still consider him one of the NJO's heroes since he was really the first Jedi to take the fight to the Vong.

14. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    The "darkside" is only a metaphor and no I don't see Kyp becoming evil and doing whattever. He's risking his life to save the galaxy against overwhelming forces: the Vong.

15. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I think he already has. It's just more subtle than he did before and it's fooling him. (lying to get the Vong Worldship attacked seems like the quick and easy path to me.) Plus he's using the war to justify his actions.

Somebody sensible: "Kyp, you just murdered children!"

Kyp: "They were Vong children that would grow up to be vong warriors...I was just performing preventive defense."

16. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    No he won't. He's been through that experience and knows where he went wrong. He's walking the tightrope now, but his experience will keep him on the Light Side.

Besides, he's a Jedi Master, and how many Masters have you heard of that have fallen.

17. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    Civilian populations die in wars. Their parents brought them illegally to a galaxy that they savagely invaded with intent to wipe out everybody in the galaxy.

"Besides, he's a Jedi Master, and how many Masters have you heard of that have fallen."

Bad defense. Please, don't bring up a list of masters who have.

18. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    yes it is not good to bring up fallen masters because Kyp will most likely be the next fallen master on the list

I've been reading all the Kyp posts and there has been a good defense for both sides but it looks like those who are defending Kyp are doing so just to bring up an arguement because if you read all of the things involving Kyp in the NJO about 90% of the read is on how Kyp is taking the easy way out, personally I think Kyp wants to have a reputation like Lukes but after his little dip in the dark side he is finding it difficult to even have a good reputation. He believed that if he stoped the smugglars from smuggling his reputaion would go to the positive side. This did not happen. So now that the vong have entered the Galaxy he sees it as his opportunity to redeem himself once and for all to the Galaxy however the way he's going about doing it may make some of the citizens in the galaxy happy but all the big wigs still and probably more so now dispise Kyp and would rather see him dead or locked up so he can't interfere(sp) for his own personal glory

Nightsun

19. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I still doubt they would go and reuse an entire storyline

20. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    "Kyp is taking the easy way out"

He's doing the hard thing. What are you ta;king about? He's risking his life in the fight against the Vong to save the rest of the galaxy. Chances are that he will die. Would you be able to do it? I like to think that I would, but who knows.

And he put lots of work into finding out one of the Vong's next target and then he flew his whole SQUADRON to that planet and defend it. Most have taken a lot of tough desk work and espionage to figure out the next target. Then he took 1 SQUADRON to defend against a whole invasion force. Too bad nobody would help him or believe him cause the Vong did strike there next and they eventually won, although Kyp and his squad did cost them a lot and did them a lot of damage. I can't rmember what book this was in, but I'm pretty sure it was Balance Point.

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    just read it, its BP. They went to one planet, then relocated.

I WANT A KYPS DOZEN BOOK! :)

22. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    I don't see how it is rewriting the storyline it would be a total different situation for Kyp and the GFFA than the last time just think who Kyp will bring with him this time it wouldn't be a Kyp versus the galaxy type of story it woul be a whole fraction of people with both force-users and non force-users

Nightsun

23. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    Thanks for the confirmation.

SO DO I.

I didn't particularly care beofre, but now I want one since Kyp is still the only one taking an active role in fighting against the Vong.

24. kanos_fel

Aug 6, 2001
    I must say guys, I'm very please with the number of your comments and the intelligence behind them. When I put the survey up, I didn't have any real opinion on the subject, I just wanted to see what people were thinking. The more I read your ideas and the more I think about the whole thing, I believe that Kyp will probably be one of the first jedi to walk the fine line between the light and the dark all is life, becoming The Gray Jedi. Maybe that's where the NJO is going. I don't know, we'll see. Thanks again!

25. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I used to dislike what they did to Kyp, but now I realise its a great thing. Theres some great, long and thought out points, and its all about one guy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.