main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That's actually pretty damn awesome. Eight's slightly steampunk thing but more cool and modern. I agree that it's different enough from Eccleston. I think it would be a good look for Time War stuff if he is in the 50th for something like that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not sure I'm enamoured by Eight's sonic screwdriver. Although it doesn't look the same, just from some of the photos, it seems to have been fashioned to act similar to Eleven's Sonic.e b

Going back to the cover for a bit, it has McGann with Daleks in the background. Hmm...

I must have missed this while posting those photos earlier. What's this about a shaved head? Deets?

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    When they were shooting the movie, McGann had a haircut very similar to the one Eccleston was to have as the Doctor - shaved down to grade three or so. The producers hated it and made him wear a wig. McGann was annoyed as he had wanted a more contemporary look.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That... That could have been interesting. IIRC, part of the movie was about the Master trying to take over the Doctor's body. Having the Doctor with his head shaved (or at least cropped more like Nine's) could have been an interesting thing to intertwine with that.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Am I the only one who loved Eight's long hair? :p

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm a big fan of the Doctor's costume in the TV movie. The movie itself is just awful, but I like the look (all of it, clothes and hair) - even if it was forced upon him by the production. I think the posh-handsome look fits McGann well.

McGann should never have shown up on set with his own renegade idea of how the Doctor should look - particularly re: something as distinctive as the character's hair cut. That's pretty unprofessional. Those decisions should be taken in concert with the production staff. However, the idea of letting the actor have input into his costume and hair is certainly a good one. The TV movie would've been wise to listen to what McGann actually wanted. Denying him input is unprofessional, too. Having said all that, of course, if Eight had ended up wearing that costume in the above pictures for the TV movie I am still certain Nine would not have worn a leather jacket. Of any style... and rightly so. In those circumstances I simply can't see Eccleston meeting with the production staff and either party plumping for a black leather jacket. The previous incarnation's signature item of clothing would've been the one thing to be avoided (even in a different cut).

I can understand McGann's desire to finally see Eight in the costume he'd hoped for, but given all that has happened since then insisting on returning to it seems indulgent rather than just. Eccleston got it, and a big part of me thinks McGann should be just live with that. It's also too great a shift within one incarnation. I wish McGann would recognise that Eight did look cool - clothes, hair and all - and look for contemporary variations on that style. It can be done (the looks we've seen Eleven sport since he arrived work as a 'collection'). So yeah, the frock coat, cravat and floppy hair might not have been what McGann really wanted, but however it came about it did work. To lose that - and the possibility of developing that look, is a great shame.

Despite my objections to Eight's leather jacket, I must say that having seen more pictures it is cool. It's too late, but it's cool. If we could go back in time, and the frock coat look was definitely out, it would've graced the screen. The screwdriver he's holding though.... that would fit exactly with Eight's look from the TV movie.

MrZAP likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No, I like Eight's look and hair from the movie too, I'm just saying the haircut would have been interesting with conjunction to the story of the Master trying to take over the Doctor.

And McGann's current costume and cut works for me as something perhaps as a transitional Time War phase/pre - regeneration to Nine.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, I like Eight's look in the film as well. And I kind of would prefer him to look that way if he were to guest in the show, partly because it's more distinctive but partly because I see that incarnation as more posh and upbeat rather than dark, TBH. However, if he lived through the Time War before regenerating, I could see him switching to the leather... of course, it's kind of implied he regenerated into Nine then. And got his jacket anyway :p

I do see your point, Chris, story-wise. I just also think this new costume is cool ;) I wouldn't mind them using it, but I also am fond of the dandy outfit :p

On an unrelated note, I'm learning Spanish and keep feeling that when I'm saying "good afternoon" I'm really saying "good TARDIS" [face_whistling]

Juliet316 and Random Comments like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

UGH! Edited to fix the spoiler tags.

soitscometothis likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, they've finally debuted the new McGann look? I never thought they'd get round to it. Still hate the satchel.

My understanding is that no-one had told McGann to keep his hair long, and that everyone started freaking out when he showed up without the long locks (which I believe he'd shaved off for a play he'd been doing?) came as a pretty big surprise to him.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I have to laugh at that sign in the third spoiler pic.
    'FILMING IN PROGRESS. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.' If I lived nearby I'd be tempted to place a reply that said 'No problem. Come back any time.' :p After all, what inconvenience is it to have Doctor Who filming on your doorstep? :p

12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    not being able to get out the door?

MrZAP likes this.
  13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd probably take that for a few days. :p

Mar17swgirl and Random Comments like this.
  14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    But the cameras are on your doorstep, you can't see outside!

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Okay, the box art for DARK EYES is pretty damn sweet:

[​IMG]

Definitely feels as though the Eight audio adventures have entered into a transitional phase that positions it between the Classic and New Whos. (Even the opening audio titles have changed, compare ORIGINAL EIGHT OPENING with the NEW EIGHT OPENING they introduced back in 2011)

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Few more Eight photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PirateofRohan and Ulicus like this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Screw an anniversary appearance. Someone give the man an anniversary series! :p

Like, I don't know. Cancel Merlin or something.

18. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I would love to see a special series about the 8th Doctor and the Time War. But please keep Steven Moffet away from it, he gets horribly confused when too much time traveling happens between opponents who either time travel or cause time travel.

Evil.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I know it's not an incredibly popular opinion, but if there is an 8/9 Time War special or miniseries (especially if it coincides with the 50th), then RTD should have some percentage of at least input into it, since he's the one who created the Time War concept when Who was brought back.

MrZAP, solojones and PirateofRohan like this.
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Who does Toby Jones play in the audio dramas? I've listened to at least 20 or so of 8's stuff, just not much of the more recent stuff.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I wouldn't want a Time War series, honestly. Not even a series of movies with a Star Wars budget could do justice to what exists in my head. And I tend to believe that it should be utterly incomprehensible to anyone with a sub-Time Lord intellect, which is the entire audience, as well as the show's writers.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with Ulicus on this issue.

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    But time travel IS confusing when you delve into it properly, playing with causality and all that jazz. If you have time travel and it's simple, you're doing it wrong.

MrZAP and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I disagree, there. For me, time travel done "properly" means it adheres to the self consistency principle and eternalism. It isn't remotely confusing, because history is immutable. That an effect can be its own cause isn't too difficult a concept to grasp, really.

I mean, I'd say the The Time Traveller's Wife was a very simple book and at the same time that it was the polar opposite of "doing it wrong".

Regarding Moffat, it's pretty clear he's a big fan of eternalism himself (Blink is the obvious example, and he's mentioned that TTTW was an influence on his River Song plot)... but he's also working on (and loves) a show that's established many, many times that history isn't immutable, too. So we've ended up with an utterly fantastical, unbelievable, improper and yet fascinating universe in which it appears there are at least two dimensions of time: "history" and the "history of history". Which does unnecessarily complicate things, really, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

So I guess I'm saying that Moffat isn't doing time travel right so much as he's doing Doctor Who time travel right. :p

Most of the time.

PirateofRohan likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.