main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmunces

darthmunces Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    ok i said this in a differant forum anakin is better lets see you destroy the jedi /jedi temple battle your way to the central room in a sep stronghold where you proablly killed the welcomeing party and have to fight a master in the same day

2. tinkkytone

tinkkytone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Hmm...this went on for a while

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Hey, look kids, a can of worms.

4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Definatly Not.

IMO,It just means that Obi Wan is more in control of himself, and he controls his fear. At the time, Anakin is just gone,and he's so scared and defensive and emotionally wrecked. Thats why they tell Jedi to control emotions, look what happend to Anakin.

And Anakin thought he would just so easily pwn Obi Wan, thats why his overconfidence was his downfall.

5. Senator_Lorena

Senator_Lorena Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    Obi-Wan was the better Jedi in the situation. He kept his head and even tried to warn Anakin not to try a foolish move. Anakin was overconfident in "his new powers". He had not mastered the dark side as he thought. I agree with Sublime Skywalker that Anakin was an emotional wreck at this time. If the two had met months later -- when Anakin had more time to settle into his new role -- I'm not so sure Obi-Wan would have won. When they finally met, Obi-Wan was prepared to sacrifice himself to help Luke. I'm not sure exactly how powerful Obi-Wan could have been if he had really wanted to seriously confront Vader.

6. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Obi wan is far the superior fighter.

He just has more mental talent than Anakin.

Anakin does not have that talent. Simple as that.

He is the chosen one, but that does not mean to say that he is the best!

In the second duel in ANH, Obi Wan let Vader win.

7. Sonic_Sega

Sonic_Sega Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    I think Anakin was a better duelist, but he was foolish. Obi-Wan won, but I believe if they would have been in an area, where nothing could be used to their advanage Anakin would strike Obi-Wan down.

8. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    But if you are foolsih, you are going to make mistakes.

It is like me saying,- "Well, Obi wan is far more powerful than the emporer, he just does not have as much knowlege of the force".

Remember, mentality is part of a fighter.

9. MasterKenobi777

MasterKenobi777 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    "Anakin is more powerful but Obi-Wan is more experienced." George Lucas OT Episode III Preview.

In other words I believe that Anakin, well Vader for that matter was the better dueler because of his power. Obi-Wan was more experienced however when it comes to fighting the Sith. Obi-Wan won this fight because he knows the Sith are over-confidant and Anakin is now a Sith, hence Darth Vader, therefore he took advantage of this. Obi-Wan's training of Anakin had nothing to do with this victory IMO because he is not Anakin now but rather Darth Vader a Sith Lord who now uses his hatred and anger to fuel himself therefore he is not the same person Obi-Wan has known throughout the years, but unfortunately for Vader Obi-Wan has become well acquainted with the Sith and was able to use this knowledge ot his advantage. NG even said that Anakin is a level 9, I believe, swordsman while Kenobi is only an 8 however Obi-Wan uses his experience and tactics to defeat a more powerful opponent.

10. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    Well, perhaps experience made Obi wan better.

Who said that the most powerful fighter is the better fighter?

Just a thought.

11. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005

i agree,[face_dancing]

12. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005

I agree, George Lucas never said that Anakin was the better fighter he just said he was more powerful and Obi-wan is more experianced and that makes Obi-wan the better fighter.

13. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

I'd have to disagree. At this point Anakin has just turned into Darth Vader and really has had no training in the Darkside. His saber fighting matches Obi Wan's perfectly and thats why Obi Wan can read him like a book.

That said, I do not think Obi Wan would last very much longer with Anakin had he not jumped to the side. Anakin is more powerful but that doesn't always win a duel, it helps alot but the bigger man falls down as well.

No other Jedi in the Universe could fight Anakin and win on Mustaphar, I think this has alot to do with Obi wan knowing him so well. The fight really does go back and forth until the end.

14. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    if a duel was only about power anakin would squash kenobi but a duel is also about experience and control.

is anakin more powerful than kenobi ?? yes, a lot.

is anakin a superior dueler than kenobi ?? no,he is not.obi wan's experience and control make him a better fighter overall than anakin.

15. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005

I agree, Anakin may have all that power but it did not help him much in the end because Obi-wan is far more exerianced so in that duel obi-wan was the superior fighter to Anakin.

16. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    icestar ,seeing an obi wan fan agreeing with me on this topic brings warm feelings to my heart[:D]

17. Master_Obi-One

Master_Obi-One Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2005

You are right. I think that is why Master Yoda sent Obi-One to duel Anakin. Cause Obi-One knew Anakin and Obi-One was much wiser than Yoda. Master Yoda knew he could not beat Anakin.

18. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    actually yoda sent kenobi after anakin because yoda knew that kenobi could not defeat sidious

19. Master_Obi-One

Master_Obi-One Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2005

No Yoda could not beat Anakin!!!!!

20. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I would say no, it doesn't prove that he's a better dueler. It shows that he had the upper hand over Anakin in duels at that point in time, but this isn't necessarily the same thing.

It's difficult to rank people in numerical order when it comes to dueling, because many factors are involved (raw power, mental control, style of fighting, strategy, psychology) and certain combinations of factors will give certain duelers and advantage over others.

We see this in the apparent contradictory outcomes of the Obiwan-Anakin duels, the Dooku- Anakin duels and the Obiwan-Dooku duels.

21. Extreme_yoda

Extreme_yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    RE: Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

duelist yes.....powerfull no(in their duel only, why? cause they know eachother's style by heart)

obi vs dooku: dooku owned twice

anakin vs dooku:dooku owned once and anakin killed him the second time around

so from this evidence u see that anakin beat a duelist that obi wan, at the exact same time, couldnt beat therefore anakin is the best duelist outside of the anakin vs obi duel

put this way ...if u live with the person u know his/her weaknesses and since obi wan did have more experience with being a jedi than anakin he was able to SLOWY take him down piece by piece or so to speak....and as the anakin vs dooku shows.....one duel proves nothing

22. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    The only problem with that logic Extreme yoda is,

Dooku is the ONLY character Anakin/Vader beat in the entire Prequel Trilogy.

Dooku is the ONLY character Obi-Wan Kenobi lost to in the entire Prequel Trilogy.

Quite a stark contrast.

Prequel Trilogy victories:

Anakin-Count Dooku

Obi-Wan- Darth Maul, Jango Fett, General Grievous, Anakin/Darth Vader

23. maxwell1234

maxwell1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2004
    I actually disagree with most of you.

The result of the duel wasn't all about Obi-Wan's experience. Anakin's extra power and skill more than made up for that.

The Mustafar duel ended the way it did because of two things:

1) Anakin's own arrogance and the fact he allowed his emotions to control him.
    2) Obi-Wan's emotional composure during the battle (yes, experience certainly is a key factor here, but there other Jedi's as experienced or moreso than Obi who would not have remained so calm throughout).

Take the emotion out of that duel and Obi-Wan was dead, fairly quickly too.

The thing about Obi-Wan that makes him in some ways the ultimate Jedi is his focus and control in emotional battles. He never, ever loses control the way Anakin or many other Jedis do. Indeed, I think Obi-Wan was the ONLY Jedi who could have beaten Anakin on Mustafar.

One was because he trained Anakin and was likely able to read his moves better than most others, but even that wasn't a defining factor.

The real key was the relationship between the two and how Obi-Wan was able to bring Anakin's own weaknesses to the fore, which ended up being his destruction. No other Jedi could have done that.
    Had Anakin been fighting Yoda or Mace, he would have been much more controlled, like he was when fighting Dooku, and consequently been much harder to beat. Frankly, I don't think Yoda or Mace would have stopped Anakin. I don't even think Sidious could have. If Anakin had triumphed on Mustafar, Sidious would have been one dead Sith Lord in short order.

In an intense emotional battle, I'd pick Obi-Wan over ANY Jedi, even Yoda. Obi-Wan had two emotional battles, one against Anakin and the other vs Darth Maul just after Maul had mortally wounded Qui-Gon. Obi won both of these duels against more powerful opponents because of his supreme emotional calmness, focus and determination when it counts.
    Where there's not that personal emotion involved and its more just matters of principle (like vs. Dooku), Obi-Wan is nowhere near as effective, because there are several others with more sheer power and lightsaber skill (Anakin, Yoda, Mace, Dooku).
    So basically, the more personal emotion involved in the battle, the better Obi-Wan's chances of success IMO.

24. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Obi-Wan wasnt better than Anakin.

Anakins own arrogance was his undoing combined with the emotion.

Anakin fighting Obi-Wan is like fighting the man who has been your Father figure for the last 12 or 13 years.

Incidentally, I think George Lucas should have made Anakin win the force push contest in the Mustafar control room - it would have demonstrated Anakins power and made Obi-Wans victory at the end more impressive.

25. maxwell1234

maxwell1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2004
    I agree, though I suppose it can be argued Anakin did win it in a way as he was able to recover quickest and leap straight back on the attack at Obi-Wan, who only just narrowly avoided his blade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.