main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does the "new" stuff take you out of the movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I love 90% of all the newer stuff added to the OT but my biggest problem is, it takes me out of it. Like if I am watch, my mind says "NEW SCENE" and for a few seconds, I am taken out. I guess people new to the movies, wouldn't have the problem. Anyone have this? Some of the smaller stuff doesn't take me out. Cause I dont know notice it as easy. Like some of the Death Star attack in ANH. But, I love the new Emperor/Vader scene in Empire, but it takes me out.

2. henderson

henderson Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah, it takes me out too. Not really in bad way though. I mean, these are movies I've seen a million times. I was 11-12 when the Special Editions were released. Everytime a new scene would crop up I'd breifly be taken out of the movie because...well it a new scene I'd never seen before you know? After seeing those changes for years now, the original SE changes are now just part of the movie. They don't stand out nearly as much now. Same thing with the 2004 changes which way less significant. And for now, the blu ray changes will be a little different when I see them. Distracting? No, just different. But soon, these will just become part of the movie and they won't take you out of it.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only scene that did that for me was the changed dialogue between the Emperor and Vader regarding "the young rebel who blew up the Death Star."

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They do pull me out of the atmosphere and I just shake my head every time, because they're all stupid.

I don't think I like a single change in the Special Editions.

I've only seen the Special Editions once on video, I borrowed the SE on VHS from my brother because my VHS versions of the OOT were wearing out. I've seen bits and pieces of the SE on Spike TV a couple times since then but I can never sit through them.

Fortunately I have the OOT on DVD so I can still watch Star Wars when I want to.

5. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    damn saddest post ever, sorry you can watch and love it now. maybe one day

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The new stuff only adds to the movie; it's not jarring in the slightest.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    To someone like myself, a person that grew up with the OOT for 20 some years, the changes are very jarring. Having watched the movies hundreds of times, any alteration sticks out like a sore thumb. Does it take me out of the movie? Sometimes. If you grew up with the special editions and the versions after that, I'm sure nothing seems awry to you.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was 25 when the SEs came out, and I'm not that jarred by the changes--sure I notice them, but other than the one I mentioned above and Jabba the Hutt in ANH, none of them really take me out of the movie. In fact, my initial reaction to the SEs was, "It's wicked cool what they can do with computer generation these days." And some of them, like the Bespin scenery, are actually an improvement.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

No, that has never happened to me. I simply enjoy the added new scene.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    I've yet to watch the original 3 yet... I just finished Attack of the Clones. But from what I've seen on youtube of the new stuff for the OT, I'm not mad at it. I can handle it. The sound on these disc is GREAT!

11. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    Agreed. I one of those people that can't force myself to like the changes. The ot movies as originally presented were fine.

12. henderson

Mar 30, 2005
    I feel sorry for any fanboy who can't handle the changes. The blu rays look amazing. I've never seen these movies look so good.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I'm a fan who very literally grew up with these films (TESB was my first film ever) and the only change that bothers me is Fett's line re-dubbing. Just sounds like Morrison (the guy who plays Jango/did Boba and the clone voices) was really dialing it in that day.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Most of the changes have been OK for me. Some bothered me in the '97 theatrical and VHS SE releases, but then they were changed back for the 2004 DVD release and forward (for example, Luke screaming as he fell on Bespin).

Anyway, to the point about Boba's voice, I definitely agree. Jason Wingreen (whose voice was replaced by Morrison on the 2004 DVD release and forward) peformed Boba's four lines with an air of menace and attitude that Morrison totally missed. It's too bad, too, because as Jango he didn't sound like a pushover the way he did as Boba. Example: "As you wish". When Boba said that to Vader (after Vader said "no disintegrations"), Wingreen said it like he was a little disappointed, like "huh... OK, fine." When Morrison said that line, he sounded happy to comply, like "cool, man!"

Also... Five Stages of SW Revisionism Grief

15. henderson

Mar 30, 2005
    DarthBoba posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, I'm a fan who very literally grew up with these films (TESB was my first film ever) and the only change that bothers me is Fett's line re-dubbing. Just sounds like Morrison (the guy who plays Jango/did Boba and the clone voices) was really dialing it in that day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah my first Star Wars movie was ESB. I was 6. I grew up with these (the OOT) films too, maybe not as long as you may have, but I watch at least one of the Star Wars 4-8 times a week. So I knew these films better than the back of my hand. I'll admit I liked the original voice better than Morrisons voice. It was so sly and dangerous sounding. Whenever I say that line "He's no good to me dead" the origianl is the one I hear. However I do see why GL changed it, to add continuity to the saga as a whole. (Though maybe he could;ve said Boba was using a voice changer like Batman)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Niclas

Niclas Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2011
    I have trouble getting over the fact that things in the new releases look different than I expect, what with all the computer graphic enhancements, slight color variations, that sort of thing. It definitely feels jarring when things look a lot different than I remember them.

Though I can't say that I enjoy the way Lucas "fixes" continuity errors by adding new scenes and such, I would have to say that old scenes looking different bothers me more than the addition of new scenes.

17. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    At least Lucas finally got 1 thing right. He had Greedo shoot first just like '77.

18. Boom_Pow

Boom_Pow Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2009
    entirely how I feel. regardless of how I feel about any of the changes, some of which I like and some of which I hate, regardless, when they occur, I immediately recognize the change and it gives me a moment of pause.

19. Chiss_Insight

Chiss_Insight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    ANH

- The changes on the storm troopers looking for the droids on the big lizards provoke no reaction from me. Nor do the adds to the Jawas' transport.
    - Pre-Mos Eisley adds just make me shake my head. It's like, "Hey, we're ILM. Here's some stuff!"
    - Greedo shooting first will go down as one of the worst choices by a director in history.
    - The Jabba/Han scene is just bad, especially when Han "walks" on Jabba's tail.
    - "Close the blast doors" - "open the blast doors", and Han running into a room of 1,000 storm troopers are both funny, and worthwhile.
    - I like the changes to the trench battle.
    - The ring around the Death Star is neat, but whatev's.

TESB

- More wampa shots are okay, but the audience could do the work with the original version.
    - I miss the Clive Revell Emperor, just because he was scary. Ian is awesome, but the reshot scene is done with the emperor looking like he does in ROTS, during which I think he looks bloated and only vaguely recognizable as the ROTJ era emperor.
    - Angry Vader saying only, "Bring my shuttle", trumps, "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for blah, blah..." every time.

ROTJ
    - Jedi Rocks is bad. Period.
    - I do like the shot of Boba shaking his head and walking away in the NE ROTJ, as well as him flirting with the dancers.
    - I'm indifferent to most of the SE changes, but the new "No..." "NOOOOOOO!" from Vader is bad. It makes me laugh, and that used to be such a powerful few seconds as Anakin reemerges and saves his son. That takes me out.
    - The ring around the 2nd Death Star is neat, but whatev's.
    - I know this is sacrilege, but I've actually come to like the new celebration song. I know everyone misses the nub nub song, but the new celebration is one scene in which I actually think the changes unite all 6 movies as one story, and I have come to like that piece of music.

This thread does make me think of one major point: a lot of the adds don't take me out, they make me angry because I happen to like the late 70's - 80's special effects better than I like the CG. The CG was NOT worth waiting for. Look at the effects in ROTJ; for 1983, they are amazing. If Lucas had just worked with what he had, today we might here debating the changes Lucas is making to the OT, the PT, AND the Thrawn Trilogy.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  20. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Totally agree. Even if my mind can get past the CGI, there is this mental switch of "this is new and doesn't belong".

Then there's the problem that my mind can't get past so much of the CGI. The Land Speeder entering Mos Eisley, for example, is way off model -- and in the same sequence, the overwhelming layers of crap are like a giant "**** you!" to the viewer, especially the giggling Jawa hanging from the Ronto and the droid slapping down the smaller droid. Jabba in ANH is also not only off model but human-sized and mobile, when 3-5 years later in ROTJ he's the size of a house and immobile, and way different in appearance. The Greedo scene has been tinkered with so much that my mind just starts preparing for the trauma as soon as Luke and Obi-Wan leave the table.

It's like looking at the puppet Yoda in TPM -- your mind just screams "this is wrong".

21. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    In the same way flies add to your picnic, I suppose.

22. Chiss_Insight

Chiss_Insight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    I've written this before: one change I don't mind is the picture quality of TESB.

I have my OOT video set, and I'm happy to write the tapes still work...now if we only still had a VCR in the house :(

Growing up, I had TESB taped off of cable for a short time (please don't leave a garrison at my house; I was 4), and it always struck me as the darkest of the OT movies not only in mood, but because the master everything had been copied from had terrible picture quality. I found this to be true when I had my nice store-bought VHS copy of TESB as well.

At least the SE of TESB is much cleaner in terms of picture quality; now the movie is only dark in mood.

23. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Mostly how I feel. Although I didn't see the O-OT movies as many times as GMJ...Probably just over 50 times each ! [face_laugh]

I'm not really taken out : let's be fair, only a few things have been altered and added. But it's definitely lingering. indeed, most new scenes, Jabba/Solo ANH, and above all, Jedi Rock ROTJ, with those CGI creep appearing out of nowhere and those stupid inserted shots featuring Boba fett flirting with a female singer, just don't fit with the rest of the footage.

The altered ones, Greedo's shooting first...Equal...None [face_laugh], Hayden C. Ghost, and especially Vader/the Emperor short conversation ESB that was way more chilling in the original one (Clive Revill's voice and Emperor's look), are about the same. Like Chiss_Insight mentioned above, Mc Diarmid here looks more like Sidious in ROTS than the Emperor in ROTJ.

So each time I want to re-watch an OT movie, it's always on my mind. and therefore choose the 2006 O-OT. Although there are a few good things in the SE's (Luke Biggs Red Leader ANH, Cloud City Falcon flight, Sound and effects enhancements).

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Even the CHARACTERS are taken out of the movie.

When Threepio is eyeing up the stormtroopers outside the cantina, along with newly-inserted digital dinosaurs, he is compelled to turn to Artoo and say...

"I don't like the look of this!"

Saga Explorer and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  25. matt0812

matt0812 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't mind some of the enhancements (Jawa sandcrawler, added Mos Eisley landscape, biggs scene, Bespin), but most of the other scenes seemed to be added in as if Lucas had said "look what we can do". Also they took out the Defel, which was a minus. Some of the added scenes were to comical turning some scenes into nothing more than almost spoofs.