main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Donnie Darko or Donnie Darko Directors Cut?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    In this thread, state which version of Donnie Darko you prefer.

I am a big fan of the original Donnie Darko. In fact, I consider it to be one of my favorite movies. So naturally, I was excited about the Directors Cut. When I saw it though, I don't know, I didn't like the changes so much. I don't think the extra explanation was needed. I didn't like the changes to the music either. This is apparently the version Richard Kelly prefers though.

Which version do you prefer?

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I saw the original first, and to be honest, I was kinda like, "That was cool... what was it?" The directors cut is good if you're stupid like me. [face_laugh]

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The only thing I didn't like about the Director's Cut was that the Echo & The Bunnymen song that played over the opening in the original was replaced with INXS. Apparently that was the song it was supposed to be and everything was coreographed to it though. They just couldn't get the rights for the original. Other than that I think the DC is an improvment on an already spectacular movie.

4. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Love the Directors Cut, though it kinda freaked me out the first time I watched it. Sadly I haven't seen the original so I can't say which one I prefer.

Most of all I prefer the Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith Audio Commentary on the Directors Cut DVD, just as genious as any commentary with Kevin.

5. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    i LOVE that kevin smith/richard kelly commentary on the directors cut dvd!
    but i say that i prefer the original to the directors cut. i think the explanations they tried to give took away from the film. i liked that it wasn't very clear what was going on in the orignal. i enjoyed putting my own interpratation on it.
    for instance, in the commentary on BOTH discs richard kelly attempts to explain exactly what is going on in the movie with donnie being a kind of inadvertant super hero and i really didn't like any of that talk!
    sometimes when something you're not sure about is explained it ADDS to it. you appreciate it more. but sometimes when something like that is explained it's like someone just explained to you a complex magic trick. it takes away from your enjoyment of the cool trick.
    to me, donnie darko director's cut is the latter.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I still haven't seen the Director's Cut, but Donnie Darko is probably my favourite film after SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.