main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Don't forget your ..." >> Travelling to (and around) the UK - the basics

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by timbolton, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't forget ... PASSPORT!!! (and visas if you need 'em)
    "On arrival in the United Kingdom, you must show a valid national passport or other equivalent official document that satisfactorily establishes your identity and nationality."

For more on customs and immigration information, check here - http://www.visitbritain.com/VB3-en-GB/aboutbritain/practical_information/customs/passports.aspx

Don't forget ... British money!!!

The good old pound sterling! Based on the decimel system, that's one hundred pence to a pound.
    Coins go from 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 (one pound) to £2 coins.
    Notes go from £5, £10, £20 to £50. Note there are still £1 Scottish notes in circulation, but some people can be fussy over those.

For more on British money, check here - http://www.visitbritain.com/VB3-en-GB/aboutbritain/practical_information/money/currency.aspx

Don't forget ... Electrical goods converters!!!
    "The voltage used in Britain is 240 Volts AC at 50HZ. Most power sockets are designed for standard 3-pin square plugs. Electrical appliances in Britain generally use the British standard plug with 3 square pins. Plug socket adaptors and power transformers are widely available, you can buy them at most airports, electrical shops and hardware stores."

You can buy converters in places like WHSmith, so don't panic if you haven't got brought one with you.

I'd also recommend buying a three plug socket extension (or similar) because more often than not hotel rooms don't have enough sockets for people. I personally have two phones, a battery recharger (for my camera) and a PSP recharger to consider.

Don't forget ... Emergency numbers!!!
    In the UK, 999 from any phone reaches the Emergency Services (ambulance, police or fire). I'll also give my moby number to any FF member who recquires it in case they need assistance during their stay.

Other useful guides
    Medical info - here
    Telephone info - here
    Safety - here

Info taken from the VisitBritain.com website: http://www.visitbritain.com

2. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
  3. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Just thought of a rather big "Don't forget ..." for everyone's day of arrival.

Don't forget some loose money (remember it's £5.70 for zones 1-4 and £6.70 for zones 1-6), - but carry £10) for your Day Travelcard that you will need to buy to get from central stations to the ExCel area. Obi-Anne, since you arrive at 9am, you may need to purchase a peak one at £9, though off-peak is the price above. We have to get inside ExCel for before 11am tho don't we lol? :p

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I'm counting on the peak one.

Also may I say that I'm very annoyed that you can't book and buy railway-tickets with GNER if you have an address outside the UK. The prices for my train travel is really going to rocket because of that. :mad:

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Those of you coming from outside the UK and planning to use credit or bank cards here might want to let your bank know you will be travelling internationally, especially if it is your first time. There have been quite a few stories in the travel sections of the papers from people who have found their cards blocked by their bank thinking they were being used fraudulently overseas.

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    And I nearly forgot!

Don't forget your ... UMBRELLA!

Just in case ;)

7. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Hm I had no trouble at all using my MasterCard in NYC. London should be no problem then.

8. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I could have sworn I saw something on there about residents outside the UK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.