main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit DOTJ: Rajivari

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Feb 22, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Recently, I was reading the TOR Encylopedia. At the end of the book (while the authors were discussing Tython), a conflict was mentioned in which one of the founders of the Jedi Order raised an army. Ultimately, he was defeated while fighting at the Battle of Kaleth. This person was Rajivari.

A couple of days later, I was astonished to see Rajivari appeared in the new arc of DOTJ.
    Apparently, Ketu was one of his apprentices once.

Therefore, the question arises: is Rajivari the one Daegen Lok saw in his vision?
    Maybe they want to make us belief Xesh, Lok or Ryo is the one Lok saw in his vision, but actually it is Rajivari. Wouldn't that be a nice twist? Rajivari's betrayal would totally unexpected.

Thoughts!

2. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    "totally unexpected". Well, not anymore :p

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Rajivari's role in DOTJ so far actually seems like a contradiction to me.

He's already an older, retired Jedi Master, somebody strong in the light and already past his prime... and the Force Wars haven't even started yet.

But TOR says that Rajivari is one of the founders of the Jedi Order, 100 years after the Force Wars... and then after he helps found the Jedi, he falls to the dark side and leads a rebellion.

So, Rajivari survives the next 100 years of the Force Wars, founds the Jedi, and then years/decades later falls to the Dark Side in the first Dark Jedi rebellion? So he lives and remains active even when he's 150-200 years old?

Maybe it would work if the Force Wars are compressed to 5-20 years instead of 100 years.

General Immodet likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You might be assuming a greater level of coordination than that which is so far in evidence.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its debatable how it'll turn out. DotJ obviously knows about TOR, with Rajivari appearing and all, whether its all coordinated, we'll see.

The first simple answer is that by TOR history is really murky, so details could have been lost or misinterpreted, etc. In DotJ, they're still calling themselves Jee'dai, so maybe when they rename themselves that'll be enough to count as "founding the Jedi Order". Even when Rajivari himself shows up... well, he's a fallen spirit who's been stuck there, waiting, for thousands of years, so he's not the most reliable source either.

Also it depends on how DotJ plays out. Maybe there will be some big war between Tython and the Rakata, maybe not, also, not sure if they've determined a lifespan for Tython Force-sensitive humans yet. In the current continuity, even a regular GFFA human can easily keep going over a hundred (mainly as an excuse to justify Han and Boba Fett still being in blaster fights, since the novels don't bother coming up with that many new protagonists), and for Jedi and especially on Tython, who knows. I forget if a normal lifespan has been mentioned in DotJ yet.

In the comic, the characterization is probably the most important, and I can see how DotJ Rajivari could lead to the rebelling Rajivari. DotJ Rajivari is more pro-active than the rest of the Temple Masters, more willing to prepare for war, while the rest are basically sticking their hands in their ears and ignoring the unknown. "Nothing's happened yet, so the vision was probably a false alarm." Its still early on so I can excuse their unfamiliarity with how prophecy works, as well as still being weary from the Despot War, but still, not really happy to see useless Council is an age-old tradition.

Rajivari is still light-sided, but his... sharp personality is not a complete opposite from someone who could lead a rebellion. In TOR, Rajivari wasn't just malevolent, he was more extremist than anything else, and its possible that the events of DotJ twist him or embitter him enough to turn against the others. Anyway, Dark Horse has often been one of the best licensees, so I don't see them trampling over canon that much. It'll probably be explained, cleared up, or left murky enough that it could lead to TOR and the Force Wars easily.

Besides, at this stage the Jee'dai are still fine with using the dark somewhat, balance and all, whereas some of the old holocrons that popped up from Rajivari's era sound a lot more like the stodgy, conservative prequel-era Jedi Council that most other works rip off to form their own Councils (peace, no emotion, no violence, something like that), so that's a pretty big change too. DotJ Rajivari I could see ending up as the Rajivari we see in TOR, the rest of the Jee'dai, not so much, and there's probably still a good deal of time.

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Aren't the force wars only 10 years? And isn't the order founded more or less shortly after this? Last I checked, the history on this point is pretty murky indeed.

7. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Hmmm, interesting ideas...
    The timeline is indeed a bit messy...

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Maybe in DOTJ we see Hugo Rajivari, and his great-grandson Barry Rajivari is the one who helps found the Jedi Order and then falls.

Summer Dreamer and Ulicus like this.