main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dragon*Con 2006

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by MotF, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Hi,

The Star Wars programming track, aka Matters of the Force, is now officially in the planning stages. We'd love your input and join in the Yahoo Group & Chat. Our main webpage is MotF and at Chat on Sunday nights from 9-10pm EST.

I'd like to thank everyone who attended our programming track last year, we had way too much fun! I'd also like to thank the staffers, guests, volunteers, and other fans who helped us during the year and at the con. We can't pull this together without you. KUDOS!

Also, thank you all for the emails and posts. It means a lot to know we are still on track:).

Just to back-track and address a few comments from last year.

1) Yeah, trivia didn't turn out the way we had hoped. However, this has been changed back to trivia questions from the trivia games out there. We'll even be using the DVD Trivia this year.

2) Costume Contest. An idea came to me that perhaps we'll have the Royal Court on the side of the big screen, remind them as they go up on the stage to take their full minute, and change the runway return path. We could also cut back the entertainment to one group, and have the contestants do another walk-by while the judges are deciding. (Comments?).

3) We used to do a "welcome' and 'closing' panel, but cut these out the last couple of years due to the massive amount of programming we had scheduled. The "Welcome" panel is back this year, but the closing panel never really got off the ground. I can remember one year, the only ones who showed were Tim and Anna Zahn, a few fans, and the staff. We had a great time though:).

4) Big Rooms will always be an issue. It's so hard to measure how many will turn out for something. The lightsaber demo was a surprise in attendance. I'll request a bigger room when we do it again, for sure.

Overall, I think the programming went very well. We had some great panels and will carry some of the panels over to 2006.

All the best,

Cathy Bowden, Director

2. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    I'm happy to announce that Dave Prowse, Vader, will be attending DC this year.

Cathy Bowden, Director
    Star Wars Program Track

3. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Any chance we can get a bigger room for Mr. Star Wars 2006?

4. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Yes, that room's been packed the last few years. A bigger room would really help!

5. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Oh, I wish we could, but it being at night-that is always bands, dances and entertainment.

Maybe one year we'll have a really big room for the whole weekend.

I have you all scheduled for Saturday Night at 9:00pm, right?

Cathy

6. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    Hi Cathy. I e-mailed you concerning registration for the costumes contest (that's what the D*C webpage told me to do). Where can I find all the stuff on this contest? like rules and how it's run and that kind of stuff (It will be my first costume contest). Also, I really would like to get involved with the con since it's my first major con. If there's anything I can do (like volunteer work or something) please let me know. Thanx!

~Tally

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Tally, the MotF costume contest reg form will probably be available on the MotF site in the next month or so - definitely before D*C - Cathy will probably update here and also on the MotF Yahoo group. It's just a one-pager that you fill out and drop off (in past years it's been at the Dunwoody room at the Hyatt) before the Saturday, then show up outside the contest ballroom by 4pm I think, to be given your number. The MotF folks in the Dunwoody will be able to tell you which ballroom it will be when you drop off your reg form, or it will be listed in the D*C schedule you pick up when you pick up your badge on first arriving.

I'll be going to the MotF contest again this year, so you can always look for me and I can help you out. :)

8. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Yea, but the site doesn't seem to be working. Not all the links work so I can't find the registration page!

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes, the site isn't totally working - but she'll have the form available before D*C. Just keep an eye on the MotF Yahoo group.

10. RemyCat

RemyCat Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2002
    The entrant form has been uploaded to the files section of the MOTF yahoo group. There is also a description of the categories and rules there.

11. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    I got it. Thanx! I'm working on mt Padme AotC battle outfit (which I'll wear in the contest) and my Lake dress. I'm soooo excited!!!!

~Tally

12. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    It really pays off to just go browsing through different areas of TF.net boards! I'm super glad i found this topic

I'm entering the MOTF costume contest, my first costume contest ever(talk about pressure, eh?)

I'm excited and nervous all at the same time[face_sick]

13. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Don't Mararoni. I'm a lil' nervous too. This isn't just my 1st contest, but the first time I'm even dressing up!

(Although I think I remeber discussing this with you already...[face_thinking] )

Who are you going to dress up as? I'm just wondering is we'll be in the same category.
    Good Luck!

~Tally

14. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    I think we have talked about this, you and I... over on the C&P boards i believe

I'm dressing as (big surprise here) Mirax Terrik. entering as Best Female EU :)

I'm very nervous. Just because i've never ever SEEN a costume contest. So i dont know what to expect, or what exactly i'm supposed to do.

15. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I've been on both sides of the costume contest in past years. It's really pretty simple. Once you do all the registration as Sister Sola mentioned, you'll be given a number. You'll get lined up according to that number. Then you wait (and wait...and wait some more) until they introduce you as per the information on your registration sheet - so be careful what you write there, they'll read it out. ;)

You then walk along the designated walkway to the stage - there will be people there to point the way for you. You then have to bow to the Royal Court (that's the kids) and the Judges (those funny looking adults on the stage ;) ). After that, present your costume to the audience giving us plenty of time for a good look. :) I've noticed in past years that most people run off the stage a little too fast and the audience doesn't get quite enough of a chance to see the costume and take pictures. I know the costume contest folks want you to hustle, but not hustle THAT fast. ;)

There will be lots of people there in the background to make sure you get where you're supposed to be at the right times and such. They'll also make sure you get water if you need any, and a place to sit and wait after you make your appearance etc.

16. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    That doesnt sound so bad.

I think i was worried because i read "performing during your presentation" on the Guidelines, and i kept thinking "You cant perform as Mirax! there's nothing to perform!"

17. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Thanx Arsinoe! That does help. I had no idea what was going to happen.

Macaroni...I'm going to be Padme so I'll be in best female prequel.

18. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    I'll be cheering for you Tally!

19. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Sometimes people do little skits, other times it's a Jedi doing a kata to show off their lightsaber or a bounty hunter looking very menacing. ;) There isn't really enough time to do a big 'presentation' type thing like people do for the main DragonCon masquerade. That contest is far more elaborate and more involved. The SW costume contest is more laid back and relaxed. :)

Basically all you have to do is stay in character while you show off your costume. :)

20. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    This is seriously my type of costume contest!!!

Thanks for the info, Arsinoe! I feel way better about this.

21. Tally-Skywalker

Jun 2, 2006
    Now I'm really excited for it!

I'll cheer you one too! Hmm...maybe I should get a foam finger with a picutre of a Kraft Macaroni box on it!

~Tally

22. BurntTheMacaroni

May 16, 2005
    I am going to be known as the girl who burns macaroni for the rest of my costuming days haha

23. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Hi,

The www.dm.net/~sf-motf site is permanently down and will so be going away.

I'm working hard to set up the new site at the Dragon*Con Site. I'll try and it up by the end of next week. If not, maybe TFN can post it here.

Thanks,

Cathy

24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    DragonCon totally rocked. Did anyone here stop by the Phatooine table (next to theonering.net's table)?
    If so, you probably met me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.