main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Droidekas?! I thought he said...Droid Picards!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by YodasClass, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodasClass

YodasClass Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2003
    When I first saw The Phantom Menace, and those strange looking alien dudes who sent those droids after Obi Wan and Qui Gon to finish them off said, "Send the Droidekas!", as Qui Gon was slicing thru the door with his lightsaber, I swore I thought he said "Droid Picards"!!! Lol. As in Captain Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek The Next Generation!!!

What did you all think he said when you first heard him say that? It wasn't until repeated viewings and checking in with TheForce.net did I know he said Droidekas.

2. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Droidekas was what I always heard but, I was paying incredibly close to everything the first time I saw Episode 1

3. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    I did too, and I still do hear that when he says it, but if you listen, you can tell that he says "Droidekas." He just accenuates the "de".

Cometgreen

4. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    The first time I saw it I heard "droid deckers". I didn't quite know what that meant, but that's what it sounded like.

I d'know...like deck fighters, only droids instead of ships. I guess...

What the frell does "droideka" mean, anyway? The "droid" part I get, but the rest...

5. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Droid De Cars!

Although it would have been pretty funny to see Patrick Stewart as Locutus in a ball rolling down the hallway! :D

6. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I think in the shooting script for The Phantom Menace, Nute Gunray says, "Destroy droids," and also Qui-Gon shouts, "Gas!" rather than, "Dioxis!" in the opening moments of the film. However, during the redubbing for the dialogue (I know that's the wrong term, but I can't remember the proper one!) George decided to change it to Droidekas, as he felt it sounded more Star Warsie, and it's the same reason for dioxis. Hope that helps! :)

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Heh heh. I heard "droid deckers" the first coupla times too.

'Droidekas' and 'dioxis' are nice words though. Just makes the world a little more non-Earthy.

Also, if Qui-Gon said "Gas", we'd have to sit through about twelve threads about some unfunny edit-together of "Gas" and then the eopie fart.

It'd be almost as funny as Star Wars Kid. [face_plain]

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh]

I thought he did too.

LOL!

The things we think of.

There's quite alot of subliminal Star Trek stuff going on with the TF in TPM.

You have the above and also the trade FEDERATION.

The NEIMOYdians, as in Leonard Neimoy.

Where's the Shatnerians?

The Bonesians?

The Sulududuus?

9. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I like the name Quandrinario (sp?) Too cool!

Sorry, a bit off topic.:)

10. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Droid Picards???

"Make it so, Number One!"

"Roger, roger!"

Oh well, it's similar to the time when I thought 'lightsaber' was 'live savers' [face_laugh]

11. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Droid De Cars!

That's what I heard.

Although it would have been pretty funny to see Patrick Stewart as Locutus in a ball rolling down the hallway!

lol

12. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Seriously now, could you actually SEE "Droid Picards" firing earl grey tea at their targets? :D

Droidekas is the DUMBEST thing going in TPM...why he came up with that name I'll never understand.

Could you imagine calling a Star Destroyer a "Stardekas"??? Survey says: zzzzzzzzzz!!!

13. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Could you imagine calling a Star Destroyer a "Stardekas"??? Survey says: zzzzzzzzzz!!!
    Well, if the Star Destroyers had been called Stardekas in 1977, then yes, I suppose I could imagine hearing myself say that, and laugh at the suggestion that they should be called Star Destroyers.

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I could never understand what the hell Panaka said when he actually said "It looks pretty bad."

I always thought it was something like "Let's revamp."

Or some nonsense....

15. Qui-GonDoug

Qui-GonDoug Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I thought he said droidy cars until I finally read the word

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Droidekas are cool...

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Droid Picards? That would have been some scary stuff indeed.

"You have committed an act of aggression against the Trade Federation, if you do not withdraw immediately I will pump your ass full of blaster bolts" :p

18. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I thought it was Droid Decons for the longest time. Silly me. 8-}

Either way they are the coolest droids yet. :cool:

19. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Droid Pickards, huh?

Well, I guess that would be a way to drag in the die hard Trekkies. [face_mischief]

20. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I was always wondering why the hell he was referring to them as Droidekas, since the only name they had gone by until then was Destroyer Droids...

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess that's what he likes to call them...

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Forget Droidekas, I want to talk about the word "dioxis". Is it supposed to be a real word or it is a Lucasism?

I looked up the word "dioxis" in 3 different dictionaries and couldn't find it. I did find the word "dioxin" which is toxic chemical. I wonder if Qui-Gon was supposed to say "dioxins" instead of "dioxis". Any GL quotes concerning this little word? Thanks.

23. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    I think it was just supposed to be "Gas!" (I think the comic adaptaion has "gas" and it was written before certain cuts/changes were made), and Lucas changed it to "Dioxis" in order to have it sound more Star Warsy or something.

I can see fanboys raving about how he should have kept "Gas" though and how cool it would be as a foreshadow for the farting Eopie later in the film. ;)

24. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I only recently started thinking that Qui-Gon could have been naming the gas entering the room when he said "dioxis." Previously, though, for some reason, I always thought that Qui-Gon was instructing Obi-Wan to use some breath-holding Jedi technique named "dioxis."

I'm odd; I know.

[face_plain]

25. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    [face_laugh] I thought he said 'droid de cars' too :D droidekas... who thought that up, anyways?! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.