main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Edric's Happy Little Line Against the Dark Lounge

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Edric-The-White, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    I have decided that those of you who enjoy a nice little exchange of ideas and a place to chat about things that may or may not fit in with the majority should come to my little thread.

Here, we will enjoy just chatting about Sci-fi without too much negative thought. The world stinks enough already.

Here, we SHALL HOLD THE LINE AGAINST THE DARK.

So, I shall start with this little diddy. Is anyone else looking forward to the Dr. Strange DVD? I have to say, my Geek Radar is all a flutter. I saw a preview on the Iron Man DVD and a commercial last night on Flash Gordon (which was pretty cool).

Oh, another thing. Has anyone ever watched the old Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers Serials from the 1930s? I recently got them on DVD and have to say they are an interesting peek into how the past saw the future.

Hope to hear some nice, POSITIVE thoughts soon.

Edric

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    I grew up watching them on channel 11 when I was a kid in Illinois. I have "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe" on DVD and the Monkeyboy and I watch it from time to time. That defined quite a bit of my pretend play as a child. My great-grand mother even sewed me a Flash outfit for my favorite 12" GI Joe. When I wasn't doing that I was a Starfleet officer stranded on a primitive planet. But that was in the dark ages when people played OUTSIDE.

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Edric, you have inspired me. I just set the DVR to record the new Flash Gordon and I am going to watch it for myself. I have no exposure to the old series (a crime, I know) so I'm gonna go into it with an open mind. :)

4. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    You can sometimes pick up Flash and Buck at Dollar Tree and Deals for 100 pennies.

5. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm very POSITIVE that great high-concept style sci-fi must be 'dark' (edgey). By this I mean it must take it's self seriously to work. Oh, and I'm darkly positive that the new Flash Gordon would bore any self-respecting ten year old.

I've never seen a decent version of Dr. Strange, but then I've never been too keen on the concept of super heroes. I'm in the Frank Herbert school of thought regarding the danger of super heroes. Corruption of power is a sliperry slope. Case in point The Amazing Captain W and his sidekick Dick 'I'll-Shoot-Yer-Face-Real-Good-Like' Cheney.

6. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Navarre: I remember making Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon style ships out of Kleenex Boxes. At the time, I actually had some Buck Roger's figures from the 1979 movie. Good times.

One of my childhood adventures also included me with a Starfleet Uniform going off on a Star Wars style adventure. I was dashing through a dark place with a beautiful princess (I'm thinking she looked a lot like Erin Grey). We come to the edge of a cliff and realize it is full of Spider Webs which in turn were full of skeletons. We start getting shot at by Cyborg-Spider Creatures and I say something like "Wow, this is all vaguely familiar". Instead of swinging accross on a web, I pull out my trusty Portable Transporter (Porta-Porter for short :) ) and we beam over. I lean in for the kiss and she says, "Not for that". Even in my daydreams I don't get the girl! :)

Hoosier Trooper: Good for you. Just be ten when you watch them. Oh, and try not to figure out the science behind it, it will drive you crazy. The little writing project I am working on is in the same vain as the serialized shows of times gone by.

Peace,
    Edric

7. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    Watch it, Ulkesh, let's stay away from politics--that leads to the dark side...

:D

8. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Politics is the Dark Side! I'm close to going off to live in the woods like that poet....Emerson? Of course, in my case, I would be the crazy oil painter, not poet. Finally learned how to do a seascape that was okay, btw. I just had to think like a shrub instead of a wave. Long Story.

Peace,
    Edric

*****SIDE BAR***** Just FYI. I was actually hoping that this thread would be a place to come to chat for those of us who still remember and long for those by gone days when you felt just great being outside on a warm summer afternoon with a pile of comics, orange soda, and bubble gum - day dreaming of far off adventures on distant worlds. Like I said, just FYI

9. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Hmmm...seeking isolation in the deceptively 'peaceful' woods and making stuff...

[face_thinking]

Ain't that how the Unabomber got started?

[face_worried]

By the way Edric did you watch the Ackbar cereal commercial on that Robot Chicken special?

"Your tastebuds can't repell flavor of THAT magnitude!"
    - Admiral Ackbar

[face_laugh]

10. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Ulkesh2,

Perhaps you should create your own lounge where your.....unique sense of humor will be appreciated. I found your first comment....in poor taste.

Edric

11. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    When I was a girl every so often I used to play in the woods behind my grandparents house with a couple of cousins who were about my age. We, of course, played GI Joes and V and Star Wars and every other popular show/movie kids watched back then. I always seemed to end up the token girl character, and half the time I was a princess or lady waiting to be rescued. It was really boring because I had to sit around and watch them go through a grand adventure and I didn't get to join because I had to wait until they got done. It usually took too long in my opinion so I would rescue myself and join them in the quest. ;)

12. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    ^^Good for you. I always thought it would be cool if some hero rushed into rescue a princess or whatever from a prison cell and he just keeps rambling about rescuing her. Then, a monster comes up from behind and the princess has to grab the guys phaser or blaster and take out the monster. Then, she could say: "You're welcome".

Welcome to the lounge, btw.

See ya,
    Edric

13. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    My Flash Gordon ships were made from the original Cooties game pieces. The new design released in the early 80's does not lend itself well to sleek, 30's era spaceships.

14. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I liked playing GI Joes, Voltron, and Thundercats.

Here's a question: Would Thundercats fall more into Fantasy or Sci-Fi?
    I mean you had the mystical aspect with Mum-Ra and the Eye of Thundara , but then you also had the "alien" factor with the Thundercats themselves, and the technology they used.

15. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Thundercats falls into the sub-genre of Techno-Fantasy. As does He-Man. Silverhawks would be labeled Space Opera (or Space Fantasy). :-B

16. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Geekgoddess,

Hey. Hope all is well. I would say, in my expert opinion, that it would be a Sci-Fancy, as it contains elements of both. This is much like a sit-com with some drama in it being called a dramady.

Oh, who the heck cares. It's cool.

Anyway, I hope that you all survived Monday. As usual, it was mass chaos at my little place. But, I've got Dr. Strange to look forward to tomorrow. As he is my second favorite super hero, this should be cool. Of course, if it were a movie based on The Green Lantern (Alan Scott, of course) then I would be in Nirvana.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of Adam Strange (no relation to the Doc and from the DC Universe to boot). He's become number three.

Peace,
    Edric

17. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Oh my gosh, I just saw pictures of the new Johnny Lighting Star Trek Ships. Coooool. They have one of the Enterprise D with it's hull on fire when it crashed in Generations. Now, I can use that one as a destroyed ship when My Star Destroyer gets an attitude.

Any miniature builders, btw, that could give me some building advice. I recently got a few of the pewter Starfleet Battles ships. Now, should I glue them together, then on the stand, then paint?

Peace,

Edric

18. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    We are past the Monday Blues!!!

It is Tuesday! :( For me, anyway, it is still a long way from the weekend!

Peace,
    Edric

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    So I caught a few different parts of the new Flash Gordon. The beginning was total cheese, but the rest wasn't awful. I don't know that it is something I would watch weekly, but not much worse than the other Sci-Fi network shows.

Maybe I am less harsh on it because I don't have any fond memories of the old series, but it didn't seem any worse to me than the new Doctor Who. But that too is another series that I have no memories of... :)

20. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    If Monday is blue, then does that mean Friday I'm in love?

Cheers to the ones who understand reference and giggle!

21. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Thursday, I don't care about you.

22. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Would you consider this to be a bastardization, or a happy melding melding of the two?

23. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I say that to the band :p

24. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Well it has been a long time since the Cure were heard from, so I guess they are stuck in a Groundhogs Day version of Thursday where nobody cares about them.

25. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Geekgoddess,

I have no idea what scifancy is. I just made it up on the fly.
    Well, we are past Tuesday - gosh, it was a HORRIBLE day. I was real close to loosing my cool with someone that would not just SHUTUP and listen to me. I held back, which I normally do at work.

Hope all is well with everyone.
    Edric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.