main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So, anyone seen the movie yet? I watched it earlier today, pretty good movie, aside from sorta ruining the happy ending of the first one (you know, with Flynn disappearing for decades). Trailers were somewhat misleading, but they're trailers, that's what they do.

The lightcycles battle were excellent, and Sam is pretty likable. Some angst from Sam, not to mention he's a young rebel, but at least he's also a mostly harmless one, like by releasing the Encom OS on the Internet for free. And when he does meet up with his father, its somewhat awkward, as Flynn hadn't sent the page that drew Sam to the arcade (Clu had to lure someone in), but still they're both happy to see each other, and there's not much anger about Kevin leaving his son for years since it wasn't his fault, especially when Sam sees everything Flynn has built. There were quite a few quiet scenes between Flynn and his son, which was nice.

Sad what happened to Tron though, stuck as Clu's chief warrior for years, almost would've preferred that he'd been derezzed during the coup. Although the ending is open enough that if they wanted to they could make more movies, which I wouldn't mind too much. Wouldn't mind finding out what happened to Flynn (if he's dead or not), Tron, etc.

Too bad Caster turned out so disappointing though. It was great when the fight in the bar started with Daft Punk changing the music to fight music, but for someone who Quorra trusted, he turned out pretty treacherous (and dumb since Clu blew him up, although its open enough that he could make a reappearance).

The music was great, but its Daft Punk, so that's no surprise. The city looked great, I watched it in 2D, and am debating about going back to watch it in 3D, just to see what a 3D movie looks like. The whole thing about Flynn's new discovery was probably a bit too out there, but oh well, at least it led to Quorra joining Sam in the real world. Nice that even in his old age Flynn still acts like someone from the 80s. Although it would seem like a miracle to him that in the Grid sudden new lifeforms just showed up, something different from the Programs written by Users. I had been following the tie-in stuff (the Betrayal comic, and had read about about the Evolution game) so I knew something about those Isos. And apparently isos have something close enough to DNA to be materialized. Was a bit hard to hear what people were saying, especially during the booming speeches, oh well that's what subtitles on the Blu-ray are for. Not quite entirely sure what Clu's plan was, aside from the general world domination, to complete his goal of making a "perfect world", not sure if his army could leave the Grid too. Clu was a special case, as he's a copy of Kevin himself.

So, pretty good movie, very good for a sequel. That's always the problem with sequels to standalone movies (especially ones made 28 years earlier), there's always the fear of sorta hurting the original (at least a little bit), but Legacy turned out pretty good. Quite different from the original, but could've turned out worse, now just have to wait for the Blu-ray next year (and hope they rerelease the original Tron on DVD sometime).

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I caught it earlier this evening and I thought it was a really fun flick. Amazing visuals and music were a given, but while the script is nothing special, the story itself is just fine, and the actors make the characters quite fun (Olivia as Quorra brings a giddiness/innocoence to things that is refreshing, as is Flynn's "zen thing")- or at least do justice to their archetypes (Tron may have a dissapointing amount of "actual" screen time (more Bruce!) but he definitely IS what the character represents/is meant to be).

Actually rewatched the first film right before seeing the new one, to catch my brother-in-law up for the showing- and there are definite;ly some great little details, touches and connections made that add a nice texture to things (the shelf cameo of the Bit, for instance) and actually counters some of the critical complaints about the film.

(for example, some suggest the film has turned Flynn into The Dude- but it you watch the original, he does use the word "man" in the same context a few times, and has that laid-back attitude often; so it's not an alteration to the character, it's consistency- though they do take that facet of the character and take it towards the zen route in his older, burdened state).

(though I've seen other complaints in reviews that make thems eem almost Ebert-esque in the "did you actually watch the movie because they explained that/actually did that? (one example being "in the first movie there was actually a real world threat/stakes to the events on the Grid with the MCP" which just makes me want to go "Did you not pay attention to the last 15-20 minutes of the movie that included the big 3D takes-up-the-whole-screen map that litterally illustrates the real world threat with narration from a 'man' yelling it out to a crowd of thousands?")

I would have liked a little more real world endcap with the board members (especially ), but I suppose that will wait for the sequels/spin-offs.

I was also a bit dissapointed that the computer 3D disclaimer about there intentionally being both 2D & 3D scenes didn't conclude with an "End of Line". MISSED. OPPORTUNITY.

But, ultimately, I think what makes the film work is that the characters are actually having fun. They get that, on some level, it is a game, despite the more dire circumstances. They all get to have their Luke Skywalker "I got him! I got him!" exuberance- even Flynn, on occasion, remembers how to enjoy his creation.

Sure, there's no one to go "Don't get cocky!", but I think that's rather refreshing- especially in an age of so many doom-and-gloom genre trends and heroes.

Given that Boxleitner is voicing Tron in the Uprising series that is supposed to bridge Legacy to the next movie, I have to assume he survived (especially after his colors referted to blue underwater- i was hoping we'd see him emerge from the waters after the credits or something but no such luck.).

As for Flynn? Flynn Lives! ;)

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, like I said earlier there wasn't a lot of angst, which I count as a good thing. I was afraid that with the whole "Flynn disappearing for years" thing, and how we saw that Sam still has issues about his father's disappearance, that half the movie would be father and son arguing, thankfully it wasn't that. Some disagreement, but lots of nice bonding. Quorra was great too, with her innocence/naivete about human subjects, but was still quite capable.

The movie was just great fun. Like near the end, the fight scene with Sam in the turret firing at the lightjets, with Quorra taking out a few with the forward guns too. Slightly reminded me of the Millennium Falcon scene, in a good way. Not to mention the arena, with the discs and then the lightcycles.

Some reviewers are complaining about that? I don't usually bother reading that many reviews, especially for movies like this as usually outside of the sci-fi/fantasy/geek fandom, they come down hard on these kinds of movies. I think Ebert gave a decent score, but his reviews are often a bit... strange for these kinds of movies, so didn't read it that thoroughly either, so don't remember if he complained about that or not. Although I had a hard time hearing what Clu was saying, so not sure whether his plan was to materialize his army and take over, or that once he was out he would connect their server to the rest of the world and then take over all the computers like the MCP was planning to.

I sadly don't own the original movie, though I did see it on TV sometime in the last two years, so I remember Flynn acting a bit like that, even in the original, with the zen thing (which was funny). Although I also glanced through the comic adaptation they released recently, so that helped a lot too.

And of course Flynn lives. ;) As well as Tron, what with the blue colors, just would've been nice to see something definitive, like maybe Flynn and Tron meeting up after the end (I even stayed through the credits just in case) and looking at the city again, like in the flashback when they were building the city. It almost seems like a waste that Sam went to that arcade to find some clue about his father, but in the end returned without his father. Although it might be more accurate to say that Sam's character growth wasn't simply to bring his father home, but to get over it, and he has as symbolized by saying he'll start working at Encom, not to mention Alan is in charge now. I'm a B5 fan, so I know Boxleitner can act, and though he had a minor role, it was great to see him, as probably Flynn's only friend in that boardroom, not to mention as a surrogate father. With all the work spent on animating Clu as young Jeff Bridges, probably would've been a bit much to spend that much time and money on young Bruce Boxleitner as Tron, although there was that flashback, but it was somewhat fuzzy and fast so not entirely sure if they did do a young Bruce model or just a lookalike. Still would like to see more Tron, as that is what the franchise is called. Maybe they could just say that Tron's program is damaged and just have Boxleitner voice him without ever taking off his helmet in any future stories.

I'm slightly curious about Caster, if we'll ever see him again, seems almost a shame for Sheen to show up, as quite an... energetic character, with a cool cane, but he turned out to be a bad guy, who also bet on the wrong side, given what happened to him. Sure, his place blew up, but they could just say he escaped before the explosion. Although Flynn will probably quite mad at him, not to mention how powerful will Flynn be by now, after merging with Clu. And I know several reviews have mentioned that while CG young Jeff Bridges as Clu isn't quite perfect, I thought it was very good what they achieved. Not quite perfect, but mostly if you're looking closely (well, that and he is evil, so the slightly off look suits him). Anyway, the acting more than made up for it, especially scenes like when Clu was at the safe

4. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Saw this in 3-D two days ago here in Australia and it was definitely a fitting sequel with IMO flawless CGI,the storyline with Kevin Flynn going missing worked well and the performances of the main cast were good too.

Was not disappouinted at all and if anything I'd be delighted to see more full-length movies of this story.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I loved it. My theater has THX in all it's theaters so it sounded super awesome. I could feel the base on my shins the whole time, it was pretty awesome.

Over all the visuals took over for me and I just enjoyed the ride. The updates they made were perfect. The bikes looked great, the costume too (even though I was hoping for old school hockey helmets). The story wasn't too complex, I think that is what a lot of the critics have had problems with Tron for but again I really enjoyed it. I have to pick up the sound track for my wife she loves Daft Punk. I'm going to see it again on Sunday with my family.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh wow this show kicked all kinds of ass tonight!! So good, and in 3D!!!

7. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

Whilst I I enjoyed this film, I think I hyped it up a bit too much for myself.
    I was also surprised at how much CLU actually featured in the film, I wasn't expecting him to have so much presence.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ebert gave it a generally positive review, but did express a general "don;'t try to explain it" attitude which I found perplexing. He's talks about not bothering to think where Flynn's real body is since it's not explained- and while that's true for this movie, the general concept was covered in the first movie and isn't that hard to figure out since it's more or less how Star Trek beaming works.

Then he goes further on to say how the plot is way too complex to understand, although he's sure some online guru can map it out... which is an annoying critique since the only way to address it is to become that online guru ;). But I just don't see what's so complicated- they spell out everything in exposition, flashbacks and (by most reviewers' comments) simplistic dialogue. It's not a Nolan film. Hell, it's not even a Kevin Smith film, when it comes to convoluted/complex plotting.

It wasn't a lookalike- they did have the CGI young bruce in a few shots in the flashbacks, though he was usually standing behing Flynn and Clu, so he wasn't the foremost character, and I don't think they animated him saying dialogue for more than a couple words (the rest overlayed in far shots, etc).

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    So there will be another Tron movie now?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll depend on how well this one does, but they essentially greenlit plans to turn this into a trilogy if it does well. Tron: Uprising is the animated series in the works that will supposedly bridge Legacy with the next film, should it be made.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ah cool I ll have to check that out. About the rating...if my theater is any indication then it should do really good! We saw the 10:10PM viewing last night it was packed so kudos to sucess!!

Also forgive this question, but you say a trilogy. Cool, but are they doing it as this latest one being the second of the three or were they starting over and making two more from this one?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was said Legacy would be the first of a new trilogy, like LOTR to The Hobbit or Chronicles of Riddick to Pitch Black.

It did 18 million (estimated) friday (3.5 from midnight showings), which is a really good start if it holds that up for the weekend. A 55-65 million opening would be pretty good for a sequel to a 28 year old cult film.

For comparison, for this same weekend lats year, Avatar did 3.5 midnight, 26.8 opening day and opened to 77 million.

13. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Saw this at Midnight on Thursday in 3D, then Friday in IMAX 3D. Yes, twice in two nights. I enjoyed it that much. I loved the original when I was younger and this was such a blast. The soundtrack in IMAX was frickin' phenomenal. I went out and got the soundtrack after this and it's great; Daft Punk did a great job.

Can't wait for the animated follow-up.

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I enjoyed the film in 3D and found the visuals spectacular, the action sequences dynamic and exciting, the score phenomenal and the performances excellent. The dialogue is, however, dumb; Sam's would-be action-hero one-liners are uniformly awful and the exposition plodding. The film has little emotional weight or sense of urgency. I was only modestly invested in the survival of the leads or in the reconciliation of father and son.

3 stars. I do hope the film had done well enough to warrant sequels, because I quite enjoy the world of the Grid and would like to see more done with it.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like it's a prequel instead of a sequel now: TRON: Uprising details

..."There's a 10-part micro series that will premiere next summer that Eddie and I wrote," Horowitz said during an interview in Los Angeles, Calif. "And we've also worked on a couple of episodes with the series itself...

When asked whether the animated series will be part of the continuity of the films, Kitsis said, "Absolutely. And we're treating it very seriously." He explained that the events of the show will take place in between the events of TRON and TRON: Legacy. "This animated show will take place from when Flynn is in a safe house. It's from when Clu takes over the grid to before when Sam comes in. So if you were wondering what was the grid like before that, then watch the show."

Horowitz indicated that it will feature an eclectic cast of voice actors, including the actor who played Tron in both films. "We hesitate to tell too much just yet, but it will fill in the blanks of some things, and also explore some new areas as well," he revealed. "Bruce Boxleitner is in it, Elijah Wood, Linda Moore, Paul Reubens, Lance Henriksen. I mean, we've got a really cool group of actors."

He also suggested that some of the stories might piggyback on preliminary ideas that he and Kitsis developed for the film that didn't make it into the final cut. "To give you an example of how we approached storytelling sometimes is like when you're in the End of Line club, when we first meet Castor and he's being berated by one of the patrons saying, ?I want an audience with Zuse.' His name is Bartik, and there's an entire back story we have for him. The guy with him, his name is Hopper, there's a whole thing between the two of them, what they are doing in there, and how they got there. It's like over the years of developing this movie, we developed all these mythologies and all these back stories and all little tangential things."

Kitsis said that he and Horowitz came up with explanations for every aspect of these peripheral characters, and that gives them a richer mythology to draw upon for future stories. "Did we have time to do the Bartik story? No. But now maybe the Bartik story is in the animated series ?you know, he's got a huge scar on his face. I want to know how he got that scar. We couldn't sit down and write that there's a guy with a scar on his face without knowing what the scar was. So we hope it adds to the depth of the movie. Our intention is to try and make something that is more than just, let's go get something. We treat TRON very, very seriously and as writers we try to have a reason and a world for everything and not all of it gets to be shown because in this particular movie, we only had two hours.

"[So] hopefully it fills in the blanks in and in a fun way and an intriguing way."

16. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005

Hello Tron fans,
    I just watched "Tron:Legacy" this afternoon on Christmas Eve, it was an entirely last minute decision. And I was astonished by it...it was an "eye-popping" experience, especially in Imax 3-D. And I was not one of those eagerly waiting fans of the original film. My experience with the first Tron is seeing the re-release screening at the "El Capitain" in Hollywood, during 1999. And before the screening the following cast were on stage with the exception of Jeff Bridges. While watching the movie I was definitely not impressed and even to this day, it's completely unmemorable.

So with the anticipation of the upcoming "Tron: Legacy", I was one of those who could have waited, maybe a month or so into it's release. But thankfully, not. Though after leaving the movie, it simply left me wanting more, such as buying the "Tron soundtrack by Daft Punk" ofcourse. I am also definitely paying another $20 or so, to see it again in glorious Imax. I want to say it was like seeing another Star Wars but that may seem too
    overzealous. It was definitely cool to look at and an awesome film going experience.

On looking for more information, I found that the movie has made 91,000,000 million so far at the box office, comparing to the $140 million budget. And I'm not quite sure if that insures a sequel but
    If Disney does this right, I would seriously look at more "Tron films".

On the other parts of the movie, it wasn't terribly written and thankfully was plotted enough to pass sci-fi expections ie, Star Wars, Matrix, and even The Fast and Furious. The response of mix-bag review say that "Tron Legacy" does succeed but then again the visuals on screen makes Tron where it counts, a spectacular 3-D ride. Aside from Jeff Bridges playing Kevin Flynn playing Jeff Bridges "acting" ...dude..man and etc.
    The relationship between missing father and son played by Garret Hedlund seems plausible and eye candy Olivia Wilde is nice to look at. Though, my final critique of the movie is the use of the "Tron" avatar. I mean, to me he seems like the most 3-dimensional character of them all, more so than Sam, Kevin, Clu and Quorra.

So to all you movie-goers, I definitely recommend seeing this movie twice in theatres only in Imax 3-D.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The budget estimates vary. I've seen as high as $170 million for the budget (according to Box Office Mojo) with advertising estimates as high as $120 million (but the latter is dilluted in impact somewhat since Disney is essentually investing in reselling/relaunching a franchise, not just a single film, so it's paying off the film, the Tv show, sequels and merchandising/theme park tie-ins).

$91 million (68 domestic/23 foreign) worldwide in one week isn't too bad- it's slightly less than Disney was hoping for, but still pretty good. The holiday weekend is where the film's success will most likely reside (unless it happens to have unexpected legs)- if it doesn't drop off too much it'll end up doing pretty decently (and the combination of good word of mouth will lead to good video sales which will increase awareness/interest in a sequel; at least I would assume that's Disney's hope, kinda like Pirates of the Carribean if they had known it would become a franchise ahead of time).

In it's favor is it's lack of genre/spectacle competition at the box office- True Grit and Little Fockers are the only major new releases worth noting, and the latter is opening softly while the former is targeting a different audience and is something TRON will likely outperform easily, if the Wed & Thurs numbers are any indication.

If you go back and watch the original, that's how Kevin actually acts like in it. He uses words like "man" a few times (in fact, he says "man" 4 times in a single minute in this scene, heh).

So it's actually consistent characterization- it's just a coincidence that in the ensuing 28 years, Bridges is most famously known for a different character who also speaks in a somewhat similar fashion.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I did not know there was going to be an animated show. Cool. I am pretty sure Bridges is a total hippie IRL and he brings it to a few of his roles.

Anything in TRON lore as to where the name TRON comes from? I have looked in many places and there are things like a computer acronym to a suffix for devices used in physics and electronics(dynotron for example).

19. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    I remember his Oscar speech, he dropped the "d-word" and "mannn" like every second thing said. It was so jarring that I thought he was either high or baked when he got on stage. Bridges is a consumate working-actor and I liked him since "Starman". I wonder if he'll be in the sequels...

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone seen any official comments on how long Flynn was in The Grid from his POV? Because, if 1 millisecond is equel to 8 hours in The Grid...well, do the math. That's a very long time.

I don't know an official answer but one possibility I've read is it's based on "electron" or other particles.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    According to this he was in the Grid for a subjective time of 1,200 years. Not sure "official" that is considered.

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Greetings, programs!

Saw this opening day in Australia (in RealD) and will be seeing it again tonight, this time in IMAX 3D. As an old school Tron fan, the new film blew me away. Everything I was hoping for and then some--it's a shame more people aren't rushing to see this.

Anyway, what does everyone see the odds being for the proposed sequel being greenlit at this point? Were this just a standalone film, I'd set the odds at zero right now, but clearly Disney is investing for a long-term payoff.

One would hope that TRON: Uprising will spark further interest in the youth market, increasing DVD sales and making a sequel even more likely.

Thoughts?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Aha-

Tron creator Steven Lisberger said that the name Tron comes from the word electronic. It wasn't until after the movie that he found out that programming languages such as BASIC used a debugging command called TRON which literally meant "Trace On" - and allowed the programmer or user to watch code execute.

24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Still, it was a real buzz to use the TRON command in the mid-'80s. Made it all feel that much more real.

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    This movie now has my worst nightmare: having to live for 29*10000 years in an Apple store.
    Overall, very pretty. OK plot & action sequences. 3D was totally unnecessary to the overall look, flavor, and feel of the movie (thanks again, Mr Cameron, for setting movie technology BACKWARD 50+ years).
    Lots of trailers for the new 3D movies, which also probablly don't need the effect.

Makes slightly more sense than the original. Why didn't they use the original toys when the kid was playing with them? Oh, because they're hard to find? Or (gasp) could it be product placement?
    Music nicely reminiscent of BladeRunner.
    This flick was in the works for HOW MANY years? And the result is mediocre, but pretty.