main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESPN's 30 for 30

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    30 for 30 info here

Has anybody watched any of these installaments? I caught most of the documentaries about the USFL and the Colts Marching Band (though you gotta find it odd that Baltimore eventually got a team back in practically the same way they lost the Colts), and watched a good chunk of this past Saturday's installment, The U (which was really, really fascinating, despite my lack of real caring over collegiate sports). 3 future installments I plan on watching in full: Steve Bartman: Catching Hell, June 17, 1994 (the O.J. Bronco chase), and Straight Outta L.A. (about the Raiders & their relationship to L.A.).

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions! :cool:

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I have only seen one so far. "Da U". I really enjoyed it and was pulling for them in the documentary when they were beating Notre Dame 58-7. Miami has really been the best program since 1980 and are Florida and FSU's big brother.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've only seen Kings Ransom, which is about the Gretzky trade. Most of it I already knew about but it's good for someone who isn't as familiar with how it all came to be.

4. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I only watched 'The U' but wanted to catch the one about Jimmy the Greek.

5. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I saw the U, the one about Jimmy the Greek (awesome) and the one about the USFL (also really good). I hope they do a DVD set, as I would really like to watch them all, as the three that I saw were really well done.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Haven't seen any of them, probably won't unless the topic for one really catches my attention AND I hear about it in time.

I don't get to watch ESPN much anymore.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I caught the U by accident. I was up late, couldn't sleep and it was on. :p

But, it was well done. I wish they'd gotten to do the Andre the Giant one (see Bill Simmons mailbag), but I'd certainly be happy to watch others if I happened to catch them. But, what I saw wasn't so amazing that I'm going to set out to catch them.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    As awesome as a possible installment about Andre The Giant would have been, I personally would have loved to see something done about either Bret Hart or The Attitude era of the WWE (of the late 90's-early 2000's).

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions! :cool:

9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I saw a couple minutes of the Len Bias one. I'm really looking forward to the Iverson one as well.

10. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The Len Bias one was pretty good, I thought. I was pretty young when he died but I still remember it vividly.

11. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Not sure if he mentions it (since I refuse to read anything from the SportsGal) but A&E did an Andre the Giant episode of their "Biography" series a few years back and it's fantastic. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

12. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey, did you and Simmons have an unpleasant encounter in the past? :p

I could see his writing style rubbing some people the wrong way, though.

13. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
  14. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Miami does not have superior talent nowadays to expect to romp Clemson and UNC(Clemson 2-0 at Miami this decade). Plus I would have liked the documentary to mention something about what comes around goes around with the final game in the Orange Bowl; Virginia 48, Miami 0

15. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    There must have been issues in editing, because it doesn't mention the last championship team or the collapse. In a two-hour window they focused specifically on the 80s teams, mostly because of their cultural impact, I guess.

16. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    [image=http://i49.tinypic.com/25qd3bl.gif]

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I watched Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks yesterday, and it was quite good. There could have been more focus on the 1999 and 2000 playoff meetings between the two teams (as this ends with the 1995 playoff series between them), but alas, it's one of my favorite 30 for 30 documentaries so far.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

18. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    I think one thing that gets lost is that the Knicks and Pacers went 3-3 during the 90s. It's not like Reggie killed the Knicks like Jordan did.

I hope all the documentaries will be available on Amazon, because I want The U.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Straight Outta L.A. premieres tonight!:D

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Haven't seen any.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So, I watched Straight Outta L.A. last night, and I very much enjoyed it. It could have been longer (was only an hour), but Ice Cube did a very nice job of merging the hip hop scene in L.A. of the 80's/early 90's with the Raiders time here in La La Land. Me & my friend both agreed: Al Davis looks like ****. :p However, he ended his portion of segments at the end with this quote (I'm paraphrasing a little): "If there's a stadium, come and knock on my door." The Raiders possibly returning to L.A.? Why not?

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Finished watching June 17th, 1994. Very, very well done. Not a traditional way of doing these little documentaries: there are no interviews or narration, simply news footage of all that went down on that day, with a little insert from the director before some commercial breaks. Thinking of the events of that day in the sporting world (Arnold Palmer's last round at a U.S. Open, game 5 of the 1994 NBA Finals, the opening of the '94 World Cup and the parade in NYC for the Rangers), it's still surreal to think of how the O.J. Bronco chase (plus the events leading to that) dominated the day. Watching all the news clips shown of the local L.A. TV broadcasts, seeing so many of the different anchors/reporters from that era, was a blast right out of my childhood.

L.A. > Boston

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Heh, I remember watching the OJ Bronco thing live on the news. I was living in San Diego and I'm sure we were watching a feed straight from the local LA affiliate. Crazy stuff.

Funny though, I don't recall any of those other sporting events that day. The Bulls weren't in the Finals that year so I don't think my family was very interested (lol).

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I watched it, to. It was pretty interesting to see Costas and Brokaw talking about the OJ things while Game 5 was going on. There was also an interesting contrast between OJ and Arnie Palmer's last US Open, in Oakmont, maybe an hour and a half from his hometown.

25. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    I've watched these whenever I could. The Miami one, while well done, showed just how many thugs they had, and really it's sort of an embarrassment for the program. Sure they had teams, but man, someone giving the players money for hurting the opposing QB. That crap shouldn't fly.

But overall I think all of the ones that have been shown so far have been good to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.