main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA [Event] Potluck BBQ in Los Gatos - Saturday, Oct 17

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Taeriel, Sep 30, 2009.

?

[Proposed Event] Potluck BBQ in Los Gatos

Poll closed Oct 14, 2009.
  1. Yes, I would attend on Sat, Oct 17

12.5%
  2. Yes, I would attend on Sun, Oct 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I would attend either day

87.5%
  4. No, I wouldn't make it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I've been considering hosting a SFFF potluck BBQ at my house in Los Gatos. This would be a general club get-together; a chance to hang out and have a nice afternoon together. I have a BBQ for grilling, a patio area and deck for hanging out and a TV if anyone wanted to throw on a DVD.

Please note up front that there are some conditions that must be met for whether or not this can happen. First and foremost, the weather would need to be nice for being outside during the day. My house is small, and it would be too cramped for everyone to squeeze inside the whole time. We'd have to spread out over the patio and deck areas as well for this to work, and hence the weather must be amenable. So even if there is interest, the event will remain tentative until we get closer and have a better idea on what to expect for weather. (Unless there are only half a dozen people planning to come, in which case we'd be ok inside.) And if this fall doesn't work out... there's always next summer, once things warm up again.

The second condition would be numbers; even spreading outside, my place still isn't huge. So I'm afraid I would need to limit to regular SFFF members and ask that you not extend the invite to friends-of-friends. The exception to this would be if significant others would like to attend. I'm also limited on parking, so carpooling is encouraged.

The weekend under consideration is Oct 17/18 - the weekend after the concert. Our chances are getting dicy on the weather by that point, but this weekend is too soon (and several people are out of town) and the weekend after that is busy. So, please vote in the poll above to let me know if you'd like to attend, and if you have a preference on Sat vs Sun. At this point I'm pretty much gauging interest.

2. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    i'll go either day

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Me too.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Aw nuts, I actually should of voted Saturday now that I think about it. Technically I can do either but Sunday is the day were we usually work on stuff for our projects...

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Right now I'm saying either day. My husband and I were invited to a 40th birthday party for his friend on that same Saturday. I asked him if we were going (I saw the invitation) and he said "I don't know right now." He kind of sounded like he wasn't in the mood, but if he changes his mind I will be going to that party with him on Saturday.

Alison, you might also want to put a notice up in the Yahoo group telling people to vote. I know people like Joan are not checking the forum here at all, but would want to go to your party.

6. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Good idea, Kathy. I was running late this morning, and of course I forgot by the time I got home from work.

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I can go either day.

8. MyBlasterGoesPewPew

MyBlasterGoesPewPew Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2009
    Saturday would be good so my grandmas says but last minute shell be saying she doesnt wanna deal with it blah blah bla...well see how it goes :D

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yay! =D= Now to see if the weather cooperates or not.

10. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Well with the global warming and all I think it should be alright. :D

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Ming, haven't you seen that movie where global warming leads to a sudden second ice age? :p

The 10-day forecast is now showing the weekend for this. Weather.com currently predicts 72 and 73F highs for Los Gatos. Other sites which have 5 and 7 day forcasts aren't to the target weekend yet. We'll have to see how the prediction evolves.

In the meantime, what are everyone's opinions? What temperature range would you be comfortable with outside?

12. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    The Day After Tomorrow. I own that movie.
    Right now I can do either day although Sunday I would need to leave by 5pm. I don't know what time you were thinking but I am assuming its midday.

13. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah I saw that movie... have you seen this movie:

The Moon Strikes Back
    I think the moon is retaliating since we tried to blow her up earlier this morning... :p

Besides if the second ice age comes before your BBQ then at least we'll know it's probably not a good day to get together. ;)

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    If the moon is retaliating, I hope she does so earlier in the week so we know one way or another about the weekend.

Rachel, yes, I was definitely thinking midday. Something early afternoon.

I read that the rain during the first half of next week will be the remnants of typhoon Melor or something like that. Sounded like a name out of LotR. End result, a bit of rain if they're right about this. So a) has to warm up enough, and b) has to dry out enough.

Are you guys ok with playing it by ear and seeing how the weather shapes up? I don't want to mess up anyone's weekend plans with uncertainty.

15. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    since there is a kids birthday RL event on sunday, i think it should happen on a saturday.

16. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
  17. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Weather reports continue to say low-mid 70s for Saturday, so I think we're good to go. Well, as long as my power comes back on by then, which I expect it will. I hope.

Time
    I'm thinking of starting early afternoon. How does 12:30 or 1pm sound?

Directions and parking
    If you plan to come to the BBQ, please send me a PM with your email address. (Or if you already have my email address, send me an email.) I will email you my address, directions and a map of the parking availability.

Please note that parking is limited. You cannot park in just any available space because some of those spaces belong to my neighbors. I have 3 additional parking spaces right around my house. I can ask my neighbors about borrowing the use of one just down the road that normally isn't in use. Beyond that, we will have to use parking pull-outs at the top of the road and shuttle people down.

Food
    Please post what you would like to contribute for the potluck. I have a BBQ, stove, oven and microwave available for use.

Alison - vegetables; macaroni salad; paper plates, cups, napkins, ect
    Eva - ribs
    Robert - ribs
    Kathy - burgers and buns
    Matt - chips and salsa; condiments
    Jessica and Scott - chips and guacamole
    Ming - mashed taters
    Rachel - dessert and drinks

FYI - my power is currently out at home, so my online access is at work for the moment. I typically can't go on the boards from here and because of this, I will be off the boards until I have electricity at the house again. (I will have quick email access, though.)

18. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll be there. Will bring Ribs, guess we're gonna have a cook off.

19. jeslyn

jeslyn Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2008
    Matt just informed me about this. Sounds like a great get together. Thanks Alison!
    So far it looks like Scott and I could make it.

We can bring Chips and Guacamole.

20. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'll make mashed taters. :)

21. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I can bring some burgers and buns. (I'm just waiting to hear Eva and Matt make fun of this...)

22. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I can bring some dessert since its looks like we have the main dishes covered. Maybe some drinks also.

23. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Impromptu meeting?

24. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yay! I have electricity again! Power came back on a bit after 4:30 this morning.

I'm working over the course of the day on sending out the directions to everyone who has requested them.

Carpooling is encouraged whenever possible. It will make for less hassle on parking. The additional parking is half a mile away once we fill the 3 spots available by my house.

I'm trying to get a rough estimate of how many people to expect... I had been planning to use the poll, but I think maybe not everyone voted? Off the top of my head, I can think of Matt, Ming, Rob, Rachel, Kathy, Tom, Jessica and Scott, Eva and Angelica, Ann(?)... am I missing anyone?

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Sure, an impromptu meeting sounds fine.

Yikes, Jessica, I'm sorry you didn't know about the BBQ! You and Scott were totally invited, I just didn't know that you didn't already know about it! I'm glad that Ming made sure you heard about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.