main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Every seven years...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah, I tend to agree...

Unless Lucas made specific agreement with Fox and Disney to ensure there will be no further modifications...

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I don't get it here. If Disney is now the owner of the franchise and the movies, like Lucas was before, why couldn't they make changes if they wanted to (I agree with the rest) ?
    Unless of course there was a specific provision in the contract when Disney bought Lucasfilm...

What do you mean by "by the time Disney obtains the rights" ? Distribution rights ?
    [/quote]

Yep - although I'm not 100% clear on just what 'rights' they'll obtain (or not?) in 2020, and yes, it's possible GL had a stipulation in whatever contracts he has with Fox &/or Disney that they can't alter the content.
    My real point is that I can't see either company having any genuine motivation to make any further adjustments anyway, beyond the very technical.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and DarthBoba like this.
  3. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Ok.
    I agree with you on that point.

I'll even add : no more changes please...3 times is enough !

(Let's just switch back to the OOT with technical enhancements only...) :cool:

T-R- likes this.
  4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, Fox owns the distribution rights. Why would Disney bother with changes when they'd have to split the proceeds with Fox?

5. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Hasn't Lucas and Lucasfilm done this before for the SE and the further changes ?

Plus at that time (1993-1996), Fox still owned ANH, and therefore funded the restoration process and the SE enhancements, with Lucasfilm's staff doing most of the work. This is no more the case.

The movies now belong to Disney (Lucasfilm). Fox is only distributing. If Disney wants to fund further changes and make them, how could Fox oppose to this ?

That's what I mean here.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    By not distributing it? Who's going to watch, LFL staff? :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Well they JUST released the Blu-rays. It will be some years before another set is released (I'm guessing 2015).

8. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Hahahaha....Not really.

Who's talking of not distributing it ? Only you I'm afraid.

What do you precisely mean here ? Is Fox the sole decider on a theatrical or video re-release of the OT ?
    To me, the distribution rights basically mean that Disney/Lucasfilm is legally forced to deal with Fox for such release, no more.

Am I wrong ? If so, say it clearly...If you only know what you're talking about. :p

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I know what I'm talking about. Fox owns the rights to distributing Episodes 5-3 through 2020, and ANH in perpetuity. That means no Fox agreement=no release without a massive lawsuit from Fox, which they'd win.

Everyone here besides you seems to get what I mean, by the way. Fox is the only company that can legally distribute the OT and PT. Disney has no such rights and may never have them. I'm not sure what's hard about this :p

10. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm not so smart as everyone here, I'm sorry...

There it is...Then Fox has to agree and has veto, if Disney wants a new release. That's what I was trying to clarify.
    Which doesn't mean they wouldn't agree by the way...

Thanks for your patience and the info. It didn't seem so obvious to me.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Ord-Mantell70 and DarthBoba, keep your personal flame war out of this forum or I'm locking this thread and you can both take a vacation. Had it up to here with both of you hot-headed troublemakers.:p

Ord-Mantell70 and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Sorry...

Nothing personal at all, really. Just wanted to know desperately what owning distribution rights precisely entails in those deals. I admit it was a bit off-topic.

My mistake to DarthBoba and everyone. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.