main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Everybodys personal opinon:EU starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Literature' started by connermacleod, Aug 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Ouch! Valiento. :eek: :D

I always knew Peeja wouldn't let me down!

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Hehehehhehehehe, :D, :D, :D, :D, :D

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I knew that'd happen. :D

Anyway...Did everyone notice how when I explain the "balance of the Force" thing versus Dark Empire, no one tries to counter me? That's the second time.

I must be right. "And when you're right, you're right. And you're always right." - Barf the Mog.

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Just wait until I find that interview with Lucas where he says "Well my biews on the trilogy are my own,but certainly fans should come up with their own views."

I had it on this site that was on my fave list but unfortunatelky I had toi reinstall AOL,and I lost all of my fave web sites. :(

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Oh, I didn't answer it because you didn't get what I said in the first place. Lucas said straight out that the Sith were causing the imbalance in the Force and that by destroying Palpatine and therefore the Sith, Anakin brought balance to the Force.

See balance doesn't mean equal parts good and evil. It means harmony that the Sith disrupt. According to Lucas anyway, not that you guys care about his opinion. :p

6. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    uh huh..so even if the Sith had quietly practiced their beliefs they would still cause an imbalance?

It's not their exsistence that caused an imbalance it the freakin fact they plunged the galaxy into total darkness.

Anakin brought the galaxy back into Balance when he made Palpatine do a swan dive into the DS II's shaft.

The Force is balanced in Dark Empire.

Now if you're saying the Sith caused the imbalance merely by existing..well that's just silly.

7. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    MT...
    "'Well my biews on the trilogy are my own,but certainly fans should come up with their own views.'"

By Lando's Black Bone! This would throw us all into complete chaos. The argument of the Non-Movie-Canon-Basher (formerly an Anti-EU'er) has been that _ONLY_ Lucas deems what is Canon. So, if Lucas, by way of broad decree gives safe Canon harbor to each individual fan's opinion then it opens the door up to literally every possibility.

For example, I can claim that only odd issues of Star Wars Tales are Canon, and it would be true Canon because Lucas said so through me. Now, if someone different claimed that only pages of Mission to Mount Yoda that are divisible by 14 are Canon, then that is true as well, because Lucas said so through him. Clearly we have two non-equal cases of Canon. So, something is amiss. Either there are multiple alternate universes (something which I'm not necessarily ready to concede), or "views of the trilogy" still doesn't equate to Canon.

I have to go with that. If your quotation is true, Lucas is only talking about "views" (i.e. opinions), not necessarily fact (or Canon).

8. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Well there was obviously imbalance during TPM or there wouldn't even be mention of it. The Sith using the dark side sends ripples through the Force that causes imbalance. Balance was brought when the Sith was destroyed, forever. These are Lucas' words. Now bringing back Palpatine just because you can't write any villains of your own sort of negates that.

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Padme...
    "The Sith using the dark side sends ripples through the Force that causes imbalance."

Yeah, it seems that those ripples were so unbalancing that they were felt by the Jedi Council at the end...not! :D

10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "The Sith using the dark side sends ripples through the Force that causes imbalance."

Is that the best you can do?You and I have VERY different views.And no this isn't a sad attempt on my part to reconcile the EU with the movies.This has nothing to do with EU vs movies.This is my take on the Force.

I REFUSE to believe that the Sith send "ripples" through the Force and that s why it's unbalanced.That's silly as anything the EU has put forthIMO.That's rediculous IMO.

SW is grander then that.The whole SW galaxy is a place of struggle ,good vs evil.The balance was tipped cause the Sith were working to take over and bring a shroud of evil over the galaxy.Not cause they send ..ripples through the Force... :p

If the Sith had quietly studied and done nothing then no imbalance would incur.

Not only that but I believe a NON Force user could bring imbalance.Jabba the Hutt could've brought imbalance to the Force :p

It just so happened that the ones to bring about the imbalance were two powerful Sith Lords.

The Dark Side has many servants and not all of em are Force users.

The Light Side has many servants and not all of em are Force users.

It seems that it's our views of the Force.Your view makes you unable to accept EU.I have no problem with the EU cause of my views on the Force.

As for Dark Empire..it only enhances Palpatine's character for me.I consider him to be the ultimate badass cause of DE and I'm happy we're getting to see more of his history inthe PTs.

11. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    <<
    Just wait until I find that interview with Lucas where he says "Well my biews on the trilogy are my own,but certainly fans should come up with their own views."
    >>

That's the way it should always be. I don't care what anyone says at LFL, including Lucas...Luke Skywalker and the Maverick Moon is still in my personal timeline. :)

<<Lucas said straight out that the Sith were causing the imbalance in the Force and that by destroying Palpatine and therefore the Sith, Anakin brought balance to the Force.
    >>

Yes, the Sith caused the imbalance. That would be Palpatine/Sidious. But does that mean everytime the Force is "out of balance" it absolutely MUST be a Sith? If Qui-Gon brought Anakin before the Council, and he was known to be the Chosen One to restore Balance, that alone should have clued the Council that the Sith had returned. But instead, they waited until they got more proof, when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon faced Maul at Naboo. If they knew the Balance was screwed up ahead of time ( they seemed to know it was starting to shift - remember Lucas' quote about someone on the Council detecting this ), then Ki-Adi and Mace wouldn't have balked at the notion of the Sith returning. Because if they knew balance was screwed, surely it MUST be a Sith, without question.

<<According to Lucas anyway, not that you guys care about his opinion. >>

You assume too much.

<<Well there was obviously imbalance during TPM or there wouldn't even be mention of it. The Sith using the dark side sends ripples through the Force that causes imbalance. Balance was brought when the Sith was destroyed, forever. These are Lucas' words. Now bringing back Palpatine just because you can't write any villains of your own sort of negates that.
    >>

Like I said...we need to know more about this prophecy. Not just what we glimpsed in TPM or heard from Lucas. We need the full deal before we can discount or prove anything. But for now...I think everything is fine. Unless Lucas goes door to door and asks that everyone burn their copies of Dark Empire because it negates his films.

Someone had a good theory on here. I think it was DaJames. When Anakin ( Vader ) destroys Palpatine be brings balance to the Force. This, in effect, taints the dark side. No matter who comes back, or who gains power or who controls the universe, the dark side will always lose. Anakin forever tainted it. And that's why Palpatine loses in Dark Empire, Dark Empire II and Empire's End. Basically, he was impotent. And when you read the stories, it seems that way with his inept tactics and losing streak. But that's just a fan theory.

Anyway...here's why we're in this whole mess...

1991-92 - Dark Empire released.
    1994-1999 - The Phantom Menace written and released.

Unless someone has a time machine, there was no way to avoid that one. One can only retcon. That's why we have our theories and SW Gamer. :)

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And who, ultimately, authorised Dark Empire's major plot events?

Who wrote TPM?

Who has changed his mind repeatedly to make more money than he needs from SW, because he alrady has millions of dollars but still wants more?

George Lucas! The man is the author of the EU screw up. He DID NOT have to allow it's creation, he DID.

It was Lucas who showed what movie merchanidsing could do, then he decided to take it one step further.

GL ought to accept the consequences of his greed, that is the existence of EU. He is the top man, therefore he is responsible; it's known as the downside of being the boss!

Of course if he'd thought it through he have realised prequels are the most hazardous undertaking possible where series are concerned, ah, but he obviously had other things on his mind.

Pity really. The 3 otiginal films are truly great fun, but good past acts don't grant a person immunity from criticism of later bad acts.

Jedi Ben

13. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    You're right. Let's be thankful there's been no bad acts yet.

<<
    And who, ultimately, authorised Dark Empire's major plot events?

Who wrote TPM?

Who has changed his mind repeatedly to make more money than he needs from SW, because he alrady has millions of dollars but still wants more?
    >>

That's just being cynical. Lucas does lisense the SW name through various products, and all his companies, but it's mostly to fund his films. He pours most of it right back into whatever he is creating. If he did it all for the money, we'd have a lot of useless crap, and probably no good LucasArts games or THX home theater systems. Also...I'm not a betting man, but I think Lucas genuienly enjoys the fact that fans can visit his SW universe through various media.

More to the point, George himself does not have time to check continuity. That's why he authorizes others to do it for him. Sometimes they screw up, but most times they don't. If a new story or film has a continuity error of some sort, it is usually fixed in short order through another story or article.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that the imbalance came from the fact that Palpatine became a Sith Lord. It was foreseen that he would nearly destroy the galaxy. His defeat in ROTJ, restores balance but his power is now weaker. He can no longer maintain his hold on the galaxy and thus is weaker for it. So, Anakin did restore balance. Palpatine was too stubborn to admit it and was easier to destroy.

15. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    If ripples were sent through the Force why weren't Mace and Yoda cutting Qui-Gon off when he made his report by one of them saying: "You encountered a Sith Lord on Tatooine; we sensed him." or "Sith Lord on Tatooine you encountered, yes? Sensed him we did."

16. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    nice point

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sturm,

Yep, guilty as charged, I AM cynical where franchises are concerned.

Four years ago it would have been a different story for me, but now...

Jedi Ben

18. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Not that we have successfully reputated your "ripples through the Force" theory, have you any others?

19. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "If ripples were sent through the Force why weren't Mace and Yoda cutting Qui-Gon off when he made his report by one of them saying: "You encountered a Sith Lord on Tatooine; we sensed him." or "Sith Lord on Tatooine you encountered, yes? Sensed him we did." "

They didn't know it was a Sith Lord causing the imbalance, they just knew that the imbalance existed.

And this is not my theory, it is a direct quote from Lucas that it was the Sith that caused the imbalance. You can ignore it like you do everything else that conflicts with your EU but that's Lucas' version of what happened.

20. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Yes, some more of Lucas's simplistic mish-mash of mythological mumbo-jumbo.

And where is it stated in the movie that the Force is even in need of 'balance'? It isn't like Yoda and Co. were actively searching for the Chosen One so that the prophecy could come to fruition. Yoda is even quite dismissive of Qui-Gon's claim.

The Sith using the dark side sends ripples through the Force that causes imbalance.

Since the dark side would be being utilized, Yoda and Co. should certainly have been able to sense the fact that the Force was being used for evil intentions. Thereby, indicating that there is/are one or more evil Force-users on the loose.

21. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I'm sick of all this EU vs the films fights! I really am.

We are all entitled to our opinions. I happen to like both the films and the books, comics, etc, although I do have a preference for the OT and the books set after it, over the prequal era. Maybe I will grow to enjoy it more once the trilogy is completed.

But anyway, just because we have conflicting opinions, do we have to have 90 post threads arguing about it? It's not like it will change anything. Some of us will still like the EU better, or the films better, or both.

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    The Sith cause the imbalance cause they have been working to take over the galaxy dude.

Not cause they send ripples through the Force.That's hog wash.I believe you misunderstand GL.

The Sith have allowed Darkness to take over the galaxy.That's why they cause an imbalance.It is not their mere exisistance that causes the imbalance.

Ripples through tyhe Force.That's ludicrous.And explain exactly how sending ripples through the Force unbalances it?

The Force is represented in all things.I believe that when GL talks about Balance of the Force ,he refers to the Balance between good and evil in the Galaxy.The Sith don't disrupt that by their mere presence,by existing,they disrupt it cause they've allowed evil to take over.

And like I said anyone could disrupt the Balance.If Jabba the Hutt had taken control,and had allowed evil to flourish the Bslance would have been disrupted.

No one is ignoring what GL has said.I
    think he meant something else that's all.You think the Sith cause ripples in the Force that imbalance it....I don't agree with that.To me that idea is rediculous.

23. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    So much for me trying to be the voice of reason.

24. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I would agree with you Rebecca, but well, you dont like Kyp :)

j/k, you are right on this

25. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Hey, we can all have our opinions as long as we are mature about them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.