main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN E'ville Jedi's Star Wars Literature Forum

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The Lit forum = all knobs :p

Also, WHAT THE HELL ASS DID YOU SAY IN THAT POST :p

2. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Well the Jedi Knight thing with Anakin might be explained this way - in a growing crisis like a galaxy-wide war Anakin's talents are needed. Thus he serves as a Jedi Knight in deed rather than by official Jedi Council pronouncement. See that works. Anakin is serving like a Jedi Knight, but technically he is not officially a JK. Just call me Quick-Fix Kesh in the flesh...well not really in the flesh...this is cyberspace and all.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Not sure what annoys me more: continuity errors or having my grammar corrected by Stacky.

4. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Wally World has the Clone Wars movie novelization.

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    SO! Does it take durring year two of the Clone Wars, and thus allowing the Dark Horse stuff to still be canon? Or, are my favorite stories now null and void?

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Man, I need to stay away from the Lit forums :).

Nathan Butler (yeah!) wrote a post that cleared everything up nicely. The new Clone Wars stories takes place somewhere around Year Two. So, for the most part, every thing fits. The three years of Dark Horse stuff will NOW go like this; years 1-2 will be smooshed into the first 16 months of the war, and the last year will be smooshed into the last 6 months. This gives the CW Cartoon a good year and a half to play with. Some stories will just have to take place "at the same time" as the cartoons, but we have been there before.

For instance, the Labrynth of Evil book and the last few chapters of the older CW Cartoon took place at the exact same time, but had slightly different events. Same with Shadows of the Empire and some of the Marvel comics. Again, not really a big deal.

MTFBWY

Jammies

7. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    When all else fails, smoosh it in!!

8. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    (in my best Stewey voice)

Yesss...just smoosh it in...like say Caligula did the mashed potatoes in Andy Warhol's film.

:eek:

[face_mischief]

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  10. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Interesting literature events on the horizon-

1. Star Wars - Republic Commando transforms into Imperial Commando

2. Star Wars - The Force Unleashed novel and comic book

3. Star Wars The Galactic Atlas

4. Star Wars - New Essential Guide To The Military
    (covers all eras and most militaries of the GFFA - written by Karen Traviss - like we did not see that one coming - hope we get some kewl stuff on the New Galactic Republic and later Galactic Alliance during the Vong War and post-Vong War)

5. Star Wars - Millenium Falcon
    (first post-LOTF novel - new info at Del-Rey site reveals a bit more - traces MF's history)

6. Star Wars - Fate Of The Jedi - Book 1 - Outcast
    (second post-LOTF novel?)

7. Star Wars - Boba Fett novel
    (third post-LOTF novel?)

8. Star Wars - Rebel Forces (might be called The Fight For Freedom)
    (next young adult series beyond Last Of The Jedi series)

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Not looking forward to Traviss's take of the military of the GFFA. Not with her disregard for canon, i.e. only a few thousand clones and the droid numbers were "over rated" thing.

For a good, nerdy, look into the GFFA armies, look at the old West End Games sourcebooks. Good, and nerdy.

12. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    The Life Of Obi-Wan Kenobi is showing up on shelves. This novel is like the recent Life Of Darth Vader. You can find it in the juvenile section of book stores.

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Hi all. Jammies here (and ignore my typos, please)!

I hate to sound like a broken record (degraded holocast?), but this continuity thing is really giving me the blues.

The Clone Wars: hard to say if it will disregard the previous CW titles, or not. However, I can ignore a fudged timeline so long as the quality continues to be as good as the movie. So what if Ani has a padawan that no one mentions in Ep 3, as long as it is a good story, and a good character (which I think it is).

Travis's guide to the military of the GFFA: I like her books a lot, but she has this thing about only a million clones; contradicting the films and all other EU works. Then, instead of just simply stating she made a mistake, she makes her "ret-con" a major plot point of her RC books-- that the Clone Wars only took place in a few planets with just a few armies (again, contrary to every other source-- including the films, which show that the military build up was Palpy's ploy to take over the galaxy). So, I fear her take on the military of the GFFA as a whole, as her take on the CW is so off base.

Coruscant Nights: Some really great stories, but with really stupid continuity errors. I understand that Mr. Reaves has some health issues-- but his mistakes are really just dumb-- The last 6 months of the Clone Wars occurred 20 years ago? In a book set 6 months after ROTS? Everyone knows Palpy is a sith? Really? Also, a Lancer-class frigate makes an appearance: almost 2 decades before it was invented. Not really a big deal, just sloppy.

The Force Unleashed: I'll try not to post any spoilers, but this thing has continuity errors galore. I'll post them at the end-- just to make sure to be spoiler friendly.

Conclusion: All and all, LFL has done a great job of making every piece of fiction fit within the Star Wars Universe. Sure, some little things have popped up (the deathstar plans, the pre-prequel explanations and dates of the clone wars, Jabba the Hutt vs. Jaba the Hut, and Bobba Fett's back story-- but those have all been pretty well smoothed out. Unfortunately, it seems to me that LFL no longer cares about continuity-- least of all the Maker himself.

To me, continuity is (should be) at the heart of Star Wars. It is what separates Star Wars from all the other Star-something titles. It was a decision made from the beginning of LFL to make it all fit-- from Radio Dramas, to Burger King glasses, to Hoojibs. To think that that is no longer the case, and that "anything goes" frustrates me to no end. Not only does it make my favorite stories no longer "true" I also take it very personally.

I have been collecting, reading, and following the greater EU saga from day one. I learned how to read on Al Williamson's ESB comic. I bought every single WEG soursebook as soon as Jim put them on the shelves at the old Comic Quest across UofE. I cut out each star wars comic strip from the Henderson Gleaner (which first appeared on the day of my birth, btw) and colored them with my crayolas (I wouldn't call my color scheme canon however-- unless you know of any blue wookies). I have picked up and read every comic and adult novel since then. To have all that undone, to have that fan loyalty be so utterly dismissed, really stings. Even more stinging, is that I will keep buying .

Now, a story is much more important than fitting stuff in, just to fit stuff in. But that's kinda my point-- the stories that upend canon suck-- and are replacing actually good stories.

Anyone else feel the same as me? Anyone else think I am just being a ninny?
    Regardless, thanks for letting me rant.

Jammies

The Force Unleashed: (potential spoilers below, but not really)

TFU is the worst offender of the recent attack on canon.

First, it opens on board the Executor-- a ship that wouldn't even have been built for 3 more years. The construction of the Executor is a major plot point for the Rebels escape from Yavin, so it is not that I am upset at some timetable stuff- but that it screws up the comic that i lovingly clipped and c

14. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    I don't really see that SW has too many errors in its continuity/consistancy. They do a good job of retconning stuff. At least Lucasfilm and other associated companies try to correct perceived errors. Unlike say Paramount and its zombified cash cow - Trek. With SW the idea of hidden prototypes, secret earler construction dates and secret earlier launch dates makes sense. For example the building of the Executor star drednought (dubbed a 'Super Star Dstroyer' by the less educated) earlier than what fans have expected is the perfect example. The Executor was officially launched sometime post-ANH...right? But that does not mean it might not have been under construction for many years prior. Thus explaining its existence in TFU. It might have been in use prior to the official launch date to keep the rebels off balance. Remember in times of war information is vital. Propaganda and misinformation are key weapons - especially in a protracted war of attrition like the second modern galactic civil war (Rebellion).

Another item you mention as being in perceived error is the sequence involving the formation of a rebellion from TFU. But is this really an error? Might Mon Monthma, Bail Organa, Garm Iblis and others meet prior to the Catham House signing? The Catham House signing is the official formal agreement to form a Rebel Alliance. The meeting in TFU is only the agreement on a symbol and need to rebel as a cohesive organization. Think of it like this - the sequence in TFU is akin to the drafting of the American Declaration of Independence. Whereas the Catham House signing is akin to the writing of the American Constitution. So really Lucasfilm/other companies are following real patterns of historical models.

The older RPG/comic book/novel material can and does fit with the newer EU stuff. Pay closer attention to the words used in official products. Such as temporeal tense - was, is, will be, might be. There is room to wiggle in new unknown/little known details. Perhaps no mention of Anakin's apprentice in Episode III was because she just wasn't around anymore. Or she was off-screen. Or she simply was not important to that particular collection of events.

Don't fret. The SW saga is still very self-consistant. It has not yet teetered over the edge into a Trek-like trainwreck. Remember what Obi-Wan said about "point of view". All this once again makes me feel so sorry for poor misled Trekkies. Too many of them sad folks still hold onto Trek like a security blanket. Not understanding that Paramount has really frakked them over. But then a feeling of utter relief comes over me when I think about how I broke my own Trek addiction (I've been clean since 1995) and found better sci-fi entertainment. Praise be to the Holy Anti-Trek Trinity (Babylon 5, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica - New Version). Oops make that the Holy Anti-Trek Diamond...forgot Firefly.

15. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    One of the upcoming SW novels will feature the return of Nomi Sunrider from the TOTJ comics. This must be one of the Sith Era/KOTOR novels being planned. The other being the third Darth Bane novel.

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Kesh I think your wrong.

I have thought at length about writing a well thought out post to support my argument, but I am not.

SW Canon is fubar right now.

Love,

Jammies

17. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Brand new Speculative Literature Club on Tuesday (5-26-2009)! Meeting at Borders at 7PM in Evansville. Subject matter is sci-fi, fantasy, horror in novels, comics, TV shows and film. This club is for adult fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.