main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Expanded universe. Canon or pro fan fiction?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sithtimelord, Jan 20, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    She does a good job with Anakin too. ;) I like Karen Miller.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I refuse to read anything Karen Miller because its all TCW tie-ins.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    They're all covered under EU canon rules..

MasterOfEnlightenment likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fair enough; I'd say Luceno is the author from the multimedia project who does the best job with Anakin and Obi-Wan, but I still really like Miller.

5. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    LFL as a company (meaning not GL but the licensing & mkt team) reeeeally doesn't care much what is canon and what isn't as long as you buy it, so whatever sells is canon until they say it isn't (which they're not gonna do cause it'll piss someone off). they play it very carefully, while the fans themselves and George Lucas fight over which is and which isn't.

So yeah, it's way more organized than other properties, but in a throwing-us-a-bone-way. It's the fandom that creates such crusades not the authors nor the proprietor.

For me, it's TCW and most likely the ST what is not-canon, simpley cause I already like the other timeline better.

6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Unless the ST and EU jive

lukemaraben likes this.
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    what three gospels are fan fiction??

8. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Definitely :) But for that to work 100% properly it'd had to be set after Legacy, witha an all new set of characters...which is too awesome to happen

9. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    The gospels of Luke and Matthew are (supposedly) written about 20 years after Mark and part retells the story, part fill in the gaps. And the gospel of John is written last also adds a new "start" and "ending." They working after the classic fanfiction questions: what happen after? what happened before? What is lacking in the story?

instantdeath likes this.
  10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    "Who has awkwardly written sex with whom?"

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Technically speaking, those gospels are canon and officially supported by various churches, so I think they can't be labelled fan fiction for the same reasons none of the EU is considered fan fiction in the Star Wars sense.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Applying canon regulations to the Bible makes me laugh. I suppose the New Testament would be a higher canon level than the Old. In addition, the Bible may just have invented the retcon.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, religion is where the term canon comes from, so it isn't actually that out of place.

If anything, some disputes over correct Biblical interpretation make our disagreements about TCW look civilised. :p

kataja and instantdeath like this.
  14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    "Civility" certainly isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of religion...

15. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    When dealing with inner religion it usually was decided by councils... But let's just say that Star Wars Canon is as it is now before we get something crazy.

Also if you want to read about real canon.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm only vaguely aware of the proper concept of canon as applied to religion, and I'll just say for my sanity I'll avoid that. Western canon, literature canon, Biblical canon (though this one I don't particularly care about, but I still find the squabbling it produces hilarious) all annoy me to some degree.

However, one of the quickest ways to annoy me is to bring up canon in relation to music. I could probably write a book on why I'm perfectly willing to break the legs of anyone who seriously endorses a "canon". It. Doesn't. Make. Sense.

17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The only music canon is Taylor Swift, everything else is fanfiction.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Her last two novels should've been one. They dragged on, and on, and on, and on...

GrandMasterKatarn and Zorrixor like this.
  19. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    We need to have the Star Wars version of the Council of Nicea.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    There you go. Zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket.

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That's basically the point he was making. Mark is "JC-Canon" while Luke, Matthew and John are "A-Canon" or whatever.

kataja likes this.
  22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think its unlikely that all Star Wars authors are even Star Wars fans. Some are, but I'd imagine for many its more of a job than a fan activity.

I mean look at the sheer amount of tie in novels some of these authors do. Are we to assume that they are automatically a "fan" of every single franchise they write for?

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Depends on your definition of "fan". I'd wager that every Star Wars writer likes the movies to some degree. Is every single one passionate about the universe and in love with the EU and continuity? Most likely not.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I bet most of them never wrote a single line of Star Wars fiction before being paid to do so.

Fan is short for 'Fanatic'. I realize thats not always how the word is always used. To me there is a definite seperation between liking a film and being a fan of a franchise.

Even amongst fans, how many didn't like the Prequels? I just don't buy that the authors writing the tie in books were that much more in love with those films than the fans were.

25. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    A few facts.

The work I do has to be approved by LFL at both the outline and the script stage. FanFiction does not have to worry about that.

I do not read fanfiction nor would I be allowed to. Reason? If something LIKE a particular fanfiction was to appear in my work, i and my publisher and LFL could be sued.

I was a fan of Star Wars since BEFORE A New Hope came out. No, I never wrote fan fiction before I got paid. Didn't read it, either. This is not a put down of fan fiction in any way; I can't comment on what I haven't read.

The guy who made the original comment was massively ill-informed. IMO. Snark does not make up for facts.

-- JohnO