main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Fallen from Grace (Post-SbS, AU dark side K/J); Updated 8/3/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-Princess-Solo, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJaina

DarthJaina Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2002
    I love it when I randomly check the boards, only to find a new post moments away... :D

2. Jedi-Princess-Solo

Jedi-Princess-Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2002

"I hate you, you know."

"Yeah, I kind of got that after the first five times you said it," he shot back, and she scowled, turning to stare out at the blurred landscape around them as their landspeeder wound its way through the public forest.

Sighing, Kyp Durron shook his head to himself, maneuvering the speeder over the narrow paths that wound their way up the side of the mountain, and wondered if anything was worth this kind of hassle. It was as if Jaina was trying to see if she could push him far enough to make him shove her out of the landspeeder, and in truth, he'd considered the idea briefly once or twice already on their short journey.

You knew it wouldn't be easy, he reminded himself, jaw tightening. But at least you didn't have to resort to violence to get her here.

He would have, though, if she'd given him no other choice. Allowing Jaina to miss her brother's funeral was not something that he could accept, not when he knew firsthand the anguish of losing a brother. Not a single day went by that he didn't miss Zeth, that he didn't feel responsible for his death, and that he didn't wish there could have been some sort of funeral for him.

Kyp refused to let Jaina live with that same kind of regret.

He just wished there was something he could do to help ease her suffering, and she was suffering terribly, he could sense it, despite the impressive shields she had constructed around herself to numb the pain.

It had nearly caused him to stumble upon coming across her with all of her defenses down, the durasteel walls around her heart lowered for a brief, flickering moment as she stood in the palace, gazing up at the night sky overhead, her presence reaching out towards the stars, as if calling for those who would never again answer.

His presence hadn't gone undetected for long, though, and her shields had slammed down so tightly that it had been as if someone had turned off a brilliant sun.

Needless to say, Jaina had not been at all pleased to see him, and even less so once the meaning of his arrival became clear. His own carefully controlled anger had been insignificant next to the blazing fury that surged within the small Jedi princess, and he had been a little wary to realize that if she had been armed at that moment, she might very well have attacked him.

The idea had certainly occurred to her, and as unsettling as that was, it had been that very thing that resigned her to coming with him in the end.

Sparing Jaina a glance, Kyp couldn't help but admire the way the sand-colored Jedi robes, identical to his own, seemed like second skin on her. They were much looser than the clinging scarlet gown she had been wearing when he found her in the palace, a gown he had to admit he wouldn't have minded seeing her in again, but somehow they suited her.

He told himself it had absolutely nothing to do with the twinge of satisfaction he felt as seeing her wearing his robes.

She's Mara's apprentice, remember? he reminded himself with a wry chuckle. And Mara Jade Skywalker has made it perfectly clear she doesn't appreciate anyone moving in on her apprentice.

Of course, that wasn't enough to deter him, really. Mara Jade Skywalker may have been intimidating to most, but after his experiences with the spirit of Exar Kun, Kyp found it very rare that anyone, Master Skywalker included, was able to intimidate him.

There was just something about Sith Lords that made everyone else, even Mara, seem almost amicable in comparison.

The blur of trees around them began to thin, giving way to scrub, and Kyp felt Jaina tense beside him as the twin moons overhead cast a pale glow across the somber congregation of Jedi gathered among the rock formations that crowned the silent mountain, surrounded by a hundred lit torches whose flames flickered and danced in the evening air.

Pulling up a respectful distance from the pyre, Kyp brought the landspeeder to a halt, and Jaina was off before he'd even come to a full stop, clearly eager to get as far away from him as possible,

3. DarthJaina

Aug 25, 2002
    Fantastic post, JPS! Sorry it took me so long to reply- I started to read it right after you posted, then the storm got too close and I had to shut down for a bit ;) I loved this update, though- it was sad with the funeral (and thank you so much for actually giving us emotions from Jaina at this- unlike the book, ugh), funny with Kyp and Jaina (the "I hate you" made me snicker, lol), and then there were little bits of foreshadowing in there, too, making it just an all-around awesome post! :D

4. Goddess-of-Trickery

Goddess-of-Trickery Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2002
    "I hate you, you know."

"Yeah, I kind of got that after the first five times you said it/"

LOL! [face_laugh] That sounded exactly like my brother and I when I'm sulking after an argument, lol!

Great post, it was nice to actually see how Jaina reacted to the funeral, I loved the bit where Kyp could sense some part of her wanted to follow Anakin and Jacen into the fire. I can't wait for another post- lol, I know, I know, I am just going to have to be patient :p ;)

5. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    Wow. With as good as this fic is, I'm super surprised that no one else has replied yet. [face_plain] Hmmm. ?[face_plain] Well, that's OK! I'll be the first one! :D Loved it. You did a great job of taking a scene that had already been written and making it totally yours. :) That's pretty hard to do. Can't wait for more. :)

~*~Austyn, the now swamped-with-college-stuff Daughter of Flame

6. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    This is probably my favorite scene in DJ... and you amplified it just fine. Very, very believable.

A.

7. JainaSoloSkywalker

JainaSoloSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2002
    Very nicely done, JPS! :D The funeral was great, and you really brought more depth and dimension to what had been, IMO, a rather disappointing scene in the novel. Keep the updates coming! :D

8. AngelofDarkness

AngelofDarkness Jedi Master star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    I loved this post! There is too much to rave about, and others have already done more than I could say, lol, so I will comment on one thing that just amused me- Kyp vs. Zekk [face_devil]

9. MerryWLukefan

MerryWLukefan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Cool, really cool.

10. Jedi_Jaina_Fel

Jedi_Jaina_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    No one could deny that Jaina Solo had spirit.

LOL, and that spirit will lead to nothing but trouble for you, Kyppie dear... just a feeling I have :p ;)

11. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    If anything bad happens to the Kypster, he'll beat it. Especially if he ditches those pesky inhibitions and guilt he's been carrying atop his shoulders for years.

12. jedi-solo-fel

jedi-solo-fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 27, 2002
    Awesome view of the funeral scene, JPS! :D Poor Jaina... she's just spiraling deeper and deeper into the dark, isn't she? Luckily for her, she'll at least have Kyp to keep her company, lol ;)

13. DarthJaina

Aug 25, 2002
    Just thought I would give this an UP as I'm scouring for good fics to read tonight ;)

14. JediPrincess83

JediPrincess83 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2003
    Such a sad, sad scene... :_| keep up the great work, JPS! I am really loving this great story :D

15. Jaina-Solo-Fel

Jaina-Solo-Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Wonderful work, as always, JPS :) I think you took that scene to new heights, and the best line of all was very deep and profound:

It seemed to Kyp that Master Skywalker was speaking directly to Jaina, as if trying to reach her, but she was somewhere else entirely now, perhaps with the embers floating up towards the stars, perhaps somewhere he couldn't even begin to fathom, wherever her brothers were.

16. Trickster_Goddess

Trickster_Goddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    I wish we'd seen all of this emotions in the book. You gave us beautiful insight into Jaina's unhealthy state of mind, Han and Leia's overwhelming pain, Tahiri's sense of being lost, and poor Luke's grief... very nicely done, I really got all sniffly reading it, lol.

17. JainaSoloSkywalker

JainaSoloSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2002
    This needs an UP tonight

18. Sword-of_the-Jedi

Sword-of_the-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    Awww :_| You captured the emotions of the funeral perfectly, JPS- and there were hints of nice foreshadowing in there as well :p ;)

SWORD

19. Vaders_Granddaughter

Vaders_Granddaughter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    Nice work, as always. I feel so bad for Jaina, she's pretty messed up right now after losing Ani and Jacen, and it's not going to get better anytime soon. Maybe Kyp will be able to give her some comfort, though... :p

20. Jedi-Jaina-Solo-Fel

Jedi-Jaina-Solo-Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2002
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, JPS [face_blush] I've been bogged down by DRL this past week like you wouldn't believe, lol :p Wonderful depiction of the funeral, though, much better than the one in the book. When's the next update? :D

21. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    This has been on my list of things to read forever; and I'm so glad I finally got to it!

Wonderful, poignant writing! I love the way you get inside everyone's heads so well...the pure emotion in these posts is incredible! Lovely, lovely story!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

22. Darth_Kinwon

Darth_Kinwon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2004
    I am amazed more people aren't reading this- this is a phenomenal story :eek: The plot was what caught me at the beginning, but your writing has just left me speechless. Somehow you manage to create such compelling, emotional posts... and I am so badly addicted to this now that I'm probably going to be all twitchy, checking back several times a day all the time to try and find an update, lol!

23. Jedi-Princess-Solo

Jedi-Princess-Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    DJ, JSS, TG, JJSF: Yeah, I thought the funeral in the book could have been a bit better, although I admit I cried the first time I read it, lol! :p
    GoT: he he, my boyfriend and I are that way- we've known each other too long, me thinks ;)
    DoF: thanks! Good luck with college- I know it can be overwhelming sometimes when your profs all pile work on you at once. They're evil, I tell you ;)
    AL, MWL, JSF, JP83: Thanks :D
    AoD: LOL! Now I wonder which dark-haired, green-eyed Jedi would win? :p ;)
    JJF, GAW: Oh, I imagine once Kyp joins forces with her, they'll be more trouble for everyone else, lol.
    VG, Sword: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!
    JJD: Thanks! :D Glad to have you with us- and guess what? There's a new post going to be posted tonight ;)
    DK: Awww [face_blush] Thank you! :D He he, well, at least you won't have to get twitchy today- I'll be posting later this evening, so check back then.

Check back around 4/5 pm board time tonight for the next update :)

~JPS~

24. Darth_Kinwon

Darth_Kinwon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2004
    A new post tonight, eh? Well then I will make sure to keep an eye out for it, thanks ;)

25. Jedi-Jaina-Solo-Fel

Jedi-Jaina-Solo-Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2002
    A new post tonight? That's the best news I've had all day :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.