main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OKC, OK Fan Fic

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Nightsun, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightsun

Nightsun Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2001
    Alright I read in a few peoples answers that they like to read and write fan fic, I think this is great and the authors of fan fics have great imaginations, I've read quite a few fan fics about situations in the books that I wish had happened the way the fans wrote them for instance Luke and Mara or Padme and Anakin stories. If there are any fan fics that you suggest I or others read please let us know, I would love to discuss them

Nightsun

2. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Ah, Anakin/Padmé. [face_love] Though occasionally I like an L/M too, A/P is my big thing.

Anything by JediGaladriel is incredible-- I could go on and on about her works. Father's Heart, Outer Rim... those were some of the first SW fanfics I ever read, and they're still near the top of my favorites list.

3. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I've never read a piece of fanfic...too much real EU too read first. I have always wanted to write my own fanfic story, though I've never been struck with a good idea.

4. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Alderaan21 are those your favorites or the ones that got you hooked, I believe I read one of Jedi Galadreil's fan fics awhile back when I was first learning of the plot for EPII. I wanted to see how the fans thought this major part of SW would happen or should happen.

Pezman: I've read about 10-12 fanfics and some have been extremely good, but beware those are the ones that will have you mixing fic with reality. I too would rather read real EU but I'm all out of material and it's 2 months until the next book comes out

Nightsun

5. Jedi_Arwen

Jedi_Arwen Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Jedi Galadriel is my favorite fanfic author by far. I agree, her Father's Heart and the Outer Rim series are incredible! She was the first fanfic writer I ever read, too.
    As for the type of fanfic to read, it really depends on what you're interested in the most in the movies. I personally like stories about the Jedi, especially set before TPM, and, well, anything interesting that catches my eye. Crossovers are really great too. There's a crossover for about every other movie or book! ;) Two of my favorites are Not All Who Wander Are Lost, a LotR crossover by Jedi Galadriel and Mr. P, and Good Day Mr. Kenobi, a Pride and Predjudice crossover by Siri Gallia. Very good stuff!

6. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Nightsun: Both, actually. Hers was the first true awesome SW fiction I remember reading, and it's still very much a favorite of mine. Heck, just about anything of hers I would call a favorite of mine. (Though considering my own fanfic credentials I might be considered biased, I really am not... she's truly talented.) Including the LotR crossover Arwen mentioned... I just never got a chance to finish that one. [face_plain]

7. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    I'll check out those stories and get back to you guys, it might take awhile though. I only have three weeks of school left and 8 tests still to take.

Nightsun

8. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Hey sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but i've been real busy with school lately. I haven't had a chance to read the stories you guys suggested yet, but I will.

Jedi Arwen, in response to your post on the other thread; it was a story based on letters qui gon wrote to his love. I'm sorry if I can't recall the name, But I do remember it was good and it fit in with the star wars eu pretty good regardless if you read them or not.

Nightsun

9. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    It was called "The Letters" for lack of a better name. ;) I really like the JA books, so I kind of made them sort of fit along. :)

10. Padawn_JB

Padawn_JB Jedi Master star 3

Mar 16, 2002
    Read mine! Read mine!!!

The're on my Bio. :)

11. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Padawan JB,

I just read your first story about Anakin leaving the order to be with Padme. I thought the first 4-5 posts were great, but it seems as if you devoted more time to your others after that(as you wrote in one of the posts). I haven't read the others yet, but I'll get to them. Overall, I give it three sabers ;)

Nightsun

12. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Jedi Arwen,

I read your "Rabes Journal" and thought it was excellent. It was a great depictation of TPM and it was good to see another's point of view of the events that took place. Very well written with a good use of adjectives and not using the same words over and over. I give it 4 1/2 lightsaber ;)

Nightsun

13. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I mostly write fanfic, but it's mainly original character. I read only a few stories. If I had more time I would read more.

14. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Hi Arwen,

I just finished Rabé's Journal and wanted to let you know I thought it was terrific! A couple of friends and I used to write fanfic back in the ESB/RotJ era (I think I was 14 at the time). We always used the perspectives of secondary film characters, in fact, we built entire lives for them.
    Good to see some things never change :)
    I think you've got a nice writing style - very fluid. You also have a knack for inserting little bits of information that help the reader identify with your character so they want to keep reading. The only thing I found a little distracting was that Rabé quotes precise lines of dialogue. It was great for helping me remember where I was in the whole PM story, but if you've ever kept a journal you know how hard it is to remember *exactly* who said what to whom from conversations when you're writing it all down later. Of course, it might be worth trading authenticity to keep distracted types like me on course. It's not a criticism, really, because I don't mean it to be negative. Just something to think about. Overall I thought your story was great! Keep it up for the rest of us who just can't find the time to write anymore.

15. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    Wow, thanks everyone for the comments on Rabé's Journal!! :)

Nightsun: Merci beaucoup!! Yeah, I took two years rewriting and editing it! BTW, is it 4 1/2 lightsabers out of 5, or something else?

Reihla: Thanks! Yeah, I've always thought secondary characters were cool (and definitely interesting to read and write about!)! I'm especially into the handmaidens, and I belong to the Royal Handmaiden Society on these boards (and off!)
    You've got a really good point about the dialogue being the exact same as in the movie!! I suppose I was wanting to write it like one of the Scholastic Journals, but even they don't always use exact dialogue. I do keep a journal, and you're right that I can hardly ever remember the exact words someone said (though I often try!)! But anyway, thanks for giving me something to think about (a very good thing since I am writing another story in first person ? though not a diary, it is the story of another sort of secondary character ? Shmi Skywalker)!

16. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Yes Arwen, it is out of five. Loved the story and can't wait for your next one :)

Nightsun

17. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    Just read Rabe's journal.

I'd never bothered reading a fanfic before, but I'm glad I did. Very enjoyable read. I found it to be more involving than the the movie itself. I'll definatly enjoy The Phantom Menace a lot more next time I watch it.

BTW, Is Corde not in Ep 1? just wondering.

Great job Jedi Arwen.

18. Jedi_Arwen

Feb 28, 2001
    darthtenbiscuits: Wow! Thanks! I'm very flattered ? it's a real honor to write a fanfic that helps someone to enjoy one of the movies more!! Thanks!

As for your question, Cordé (and the other two of Amidala's handmaidens in Ep. II, Dormé and Versé) are not in Ep. I. The handmaidens in Ep. I are (in order of importance) Sabé (the decoy), Rabé, Eirtaé, Saché, and Yané. Apparently upon resigning, the Queen took new handmaidens (but not because she didn't like her old ones ? they were actually her best friends!). If you have any more questions and need to talk to some more handmaidenologists (as we call ourselves), feel free to jump on over to The Royal Handmaiden Society thread in the SW miscellaneous board! We're very friendly (we don't bite!)!

19. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    I just read your last story, for me anyways. "Short Story". I thought it was great!!! Have you sent anything in for publication yet. I have a few short stories published myself, but they were before I got back into Star Wars. I do however have a poem published in three different poetry books called "Jedi Knight", check it out if you like; they have the books they are in at our libraries.

I wrote this two years ago and am to lazy to go get my copy, but I'll try to do it from memory. It is short but I won 500$ for it.

"Jedi Knight"

Being a jedi is our right,
    justice is our only might,
    (two more lines I can't remember, and I'm not sure if the first two are right)

LAST LINE FOR SURE THOUGH IS
    Life is hard as a Jedi Knight.

I'll find it some day and post the correct version, or go to the library, and find coffee table poetry, and a couple others, can't quite think of the names right now.

Nightsun

20. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmmm, if you want to be kept busy for the next millennia try reading the story in my sig - it's an alternate version of the NJO, an epic that takes place after SbS...

Otoh, if you want some of (what I consider to be) the best fanfic writing around - check out Amidala_Skywalker's Crystal Tiara!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.