main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy Star Wars CCG 2.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Okay, so five was too much, eh?

How about three locations (ANY three locations, not just non-bg's) in addition to your objective or starting location?

2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    They should not be bg's. If a player wants to start bg's, they can play Careful Planning as their Starting Interrupt.

3. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Okay, just to clarify:

The proposal is a change to the "starting the game" entry in the STG:

PROPOSAL #1: Insert a new step between Step 1 - STARTING LOCATION OR OBJECTIVE and Step 2 (which would now become Step 3) - STARTING INTERRUPT in the "starting the game" entry in the STG:

Step 2 - ADDITIONAL STARTING LOCATIONS
    Each player that did not start an objective may deploy up to three additional non-battleground locations from their deck (optional). If neither player started with an objective, players alternate deploying their additional locations, starting with Dark Side. (Dark deploys a location, Light deploys a location, Dark deploys, etc.) A player may "pass" instead of deploying a location, but once that player passes, he or she may not deploy another location during this step. (Dark deploys a location, Light passes; Dark deploys another location; Light may not deploy a location now.)

Does anyone want to make any changes to this proposal? Or are we ready to move on?

4. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Step 3 should say "STARTING EFFECT or INTERRUPT"

Other than that, this proposal is correct and seconded by me. We can move on to the Activate Phase, which I proposed should remain as is.

5. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Shouldn't Starting Effect be step 1?

6. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    The last version of the STG didn't include STARTING EFFECTS in the "starting the game" entry. Officially, Staring Effects are deployed even before you reveal your objective/starting location. I guess that would make it "step 0". :)

7. NissoJape

NissoJape Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    Here's an idea:

The player has options of courses they take at the begining, like putting out 3 locations, or like choosing 4 cards to go in your starting hand. Maybe even mixing them up, like choosing 3 cards and deploying 2 locations. Then have starting interrupts be a choice also.

8. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    As for streamlining rules, there's a few that I'd drop real quick:
    1) Mining Rules: rarely used and when I still played heavily (~a year ago) I'd never seen an effective deck using them.
    2) Ferocity and creature rules: If there were some really cool creatures out there perhaps they'd be worth keeping.
    3) Bluff Rules: Who uses this card anyway? It's just something for newbies to come across in the rules expansion and get scared of.

Other things I'd get rid of:
    Those cards that allow you to start with the side deck. I've been playing for 6 years and think it weakens the game if you can just have cards that flat out cancel out major strategies that don't even count as cards in your deck. A good player can make a deck without them and still counter most major cheese stratagies. If you weren't able to pull them out at any time, I wouldn't think the sideboard cards were so overpowered, but as it stands, I absolutely hate them.

Just a few ideas. I might come up with more later.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually used the Tatooine Bluffs in a deck once- just for fun really.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, the next "formal" proposal I wanted to make (already mentioned earlier) is in regards to deck building:

Your deck must include at least 5 cards of each of the following major card types (any subtype):

- Character
    - Starship
    - Vehicle
    - Effect
    - Interrupt

Also, your deck may not contain more than 6 copies of any non-unique card, and may not contain more than 4 copies of any unique card or persona (character, weapon or starship).

For example, your deck may have 4 copies of Han Solo and 4 copies of the Millenium Falcon; or it may have 2 copies of Han Solo, 2 copies of "Han, Chewie And The Falcon", and 2 copies of Gold Squadron 1.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think you should require a minimum number of effects or interrupts- there have been many times when I've built a deck that didn't have more than 2 or 3 effects.

Also, non-unique characters should not be restricted in any way- that's the whole point of them being non-unqiue.

Cards like Stormtroopers and Jawas would become alot more useless.

12. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, the primary reason why I'm proposing these rules is to help new players with deck building. A new player just starting out is completely lost when it comes to building their own deck. How many characters should I have? How many interrupts? This at least gives them a starting point, while still leaving a lot of room for customization.

I'm also interested in promoting deck diversity and encouraging people to use cards they wouldn't normally consider -- like weapons!! Why not have weapons or effects (your example) in your deck? There are a lot of good cards out there that many players just blow off; this would force them to rethink them. What are the best vehicles to use in your Hunt Down deck? What are the best weapons to use in your Light Senate deck?

I don't think it is unreasonable. Almost every new CCG coming out has some sort of deck building rule.

13. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    I think there should be a guide or options for that, but no one should be forced.

14. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Agreed: I would not advocate deck building guidelines. As implied, the Star Wars CCG is one of the few games out there that puts no limits on deck building. And there should be none.

Having said that, Artie is correct that beginners need a good idea of what makes a deck work. Started with DSII and continued very successfully in LOTR, each new Star Wars CCG expansion would include pre-designed starter decks, themed and playable right out of the box.

15. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'd also add in the rule books, websites like this one where there's knowledgeable players to help newbies.

16. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    >>Agreed: I would not advocate deck building guidelines.

*Sigh* Okay. I think it's a mistake not to have SOME deckbuilding rule, like a max of 6 copies of any one card, but if no one else is interested, I'll drop it...

Later, I'm going to start a thread where we can discuss and suggest deck building guidelines. I think that would be incredibly helpful to new players.

17. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay, so the Activation Phase is cool with everyone.

Next up is the Control Phase. Currently, by itself, this is the phase where Force drains happen. So I guess the question is, are ther eany proposed changes to the drain rules (since they are already simple to understand)?

18. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    I say that you add all your power of your characters only...no starships or pilot bonus's and the same with ability, the person with the bigger totals for both get a +1 or +2 force drain.

19. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    My only real proposal would be to put keywords in the GT rather than having to search for them in the lore.

On the other hand, by making the lore a significant place (eg for keywords) it made the game more adaptable.

20. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay, Deploy Phase is next. Anything in this phase that you'd like to see modified? Other mechanics that would be included with this phase would be persona replacement and the Tatooine: Bluff rules.

Since the Battle Phase may be of interest, we can go ahead and discuss the Move and Draw Phases now as I doubt there is anything that needs to be addressed with the general rules in either of those phases.

21. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    I'd like to suggest that all starships and vehicles without the "permanent pilot" icon are assumed to have a permanent pilot or driver on board. This permanent pilot would have presence but no ability (just like the "droid-presence" starfighters). "May add 1 pilot" would be re-interpreted to mean "may add 1 pilot (suspends permanent pilot)". Only exception to this rule would be lift tubes I think.

This would make unpiloted starships a little more useful in your deck, but would make it riskier forfeiting just your pilot ... you still have presence and can be battled!

22. NissoJape

Nov 15, 2002
    I think that permanent pilot should act the same except you can add a better pilot which gets rid of the permanent pilot.

23. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Glad this was brought up. The first thing I thought when I saw the "may suspend PP" on the Brvo Fighters was "Damn, wish they had thought of this way back when."

I don't think that making Perm Pilots truly permament (as Artie suggested) on a ship or vehicle is a good thing. The risk you speak of I think could actually cause those cards to not be used even more. Even if a player landed they could get whooped-up--"running to safety" needs to be left open, if only that it is a natural thing to do in situations.

What I would propose is this: all ships and vehicles without a pilot, and that require one to operate, come with a permanent pilot upon deployment. A player may cancel that permanent pilot by deploying a pilot character aboard.

24. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    That sounds reasonable to me.

25. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    I like that. Sounds a lot like the Jedi Knights mechanic and even the way Star Wars TCG is run for Starships/Characters. Don't need characters, but you can add them to get better bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.