main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're Moving - Answers to your common questions (updated 6/18)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 3, 2010.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice! That feature is present in other forums I've posted in, so that will be a welcome addition here.

L.A. > Boston

2. Dark_J3dii

Dark_J3dii Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2010
    >>Spamming will get you nowhere

3. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    Will I be locked out of my account?

It's saying that if I don't update my email address or have a working private email address then I may be "locked out of my account after the move". I have my personal email address in my email bit and the last I checked it was working, does that mean I will be safe?

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If you have a working email address filled in under "private email address" in your profile then you are safe.

5. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
  6. evoman

evoman Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    It's a shame I haven't worked harder, I built a replica of the IGN Boards that you could have used but it's not quite finished. Sure you want something with reliability and vBulletin has the great name and everything you want in a new system. Mine are just starting out and haven't seen much use, don't know how they would handle such a large database. Oh well. :)

7. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I was a moderator on a forum which was using vBulletin a while back. One of the problems we found was spam accounts signing up, and it occured in such a volume that we had to approve new members accounts before they could start posting. I don't know if it was a problem with the software that was allowing them to get through or what. I just thought it might be something that the moderators here would like to know before the move so that you can sort it out.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It will certainly be something to keep an eye on. I know we get our share of spammers signing up here. In a past job I managed a couple of sites that used Community Server software. Our sites didn't get the spammers as all of our users were invited and registered by us. (These were private closed sites). However the CS help forums used to get a ton of spam accounts signing up. If we find that it's a problem we might have to look at something like CAPTCHA for 'human' verification.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    We will be using CAPTCHA for human verification and there are other plugins available if that doesn't seem to work.

10. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    The other thing that works really good is by having a question all accounts must answer before their account becomes active. We use a simple subtraction program on our board. Seems bots cant do math.

Usually this is in the ACP under Add/Edit Custom Profile Field or something like that.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The only problem I've had with CAPTCHA is when the letters or numbers you have to enter are so distorted that you can't tell what they are. Then it's a pain in the butt.

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I hate those as well. And to be honest, the default vBulletin ones are some of the worst I've ever seen. That's why we're going to use reCAPTCHA. :)

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That one's not too bad. I've seen a lot worse.

14. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Will we get a few days warning before the actual move? I'm still working on locating my login info for some old socks I have (and figuring out the different emails thing).

Also - I know I have some socks that I never posted from. Do inactive accounts get dropped or is there a way to have them deleted?

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Yes, we will give notification ahead of time.

At this time, there are no plans to delete any inactive accounts.

16. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Who is responsible for packing up the Collecting boards Star Wars Dolls?

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That would be CrazyMike. He's already packing his collection for a house move later this year so he's had plenty of practice. :)

18. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Will we have to do this every time we post?! [face_worried]

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Absolutely not.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Removed a couple of spamvertising posts. Didn't want the thread getting lost.

21. Narquelie

Narquelie Jedi Master

Dec 31, 2003
    Are emails case sensitive on here? I've been updating my email addresses, and when I put one email in as lowercase, the message says that the email is already taken. When I write it with some capital letters, the system accepts it. It's a yahoo email.

I've just updated my socks, and none of them have any version of that email.

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Interesting. Well, if it works, then it's another way to use the same email address for all your socks. It shouldn't break the system or anything and you should still get your email since email addresses are not case sensitive.

23. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I had a few questions are all the old fan fiction boards moving to the new board the (stories)?

And when is this move taken place?

24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    We intend to move every post in every thread in every forum. For more information, read the FAQ.

25. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I would like to see a feature which is common on the Internet forums: a button for unread topics which takes you to the oldest unread message in that topic - it's easier to read updates that way.

Is there a chance we could see that?