main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Padme wig? I would like to get one before DCon for my Tantooine costume.

thanks for any help!

Alice

2. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Spacelady--if you can't find those little "ouchless" hairbands to match your hair color, another idea is to use thread and wrap the end, either instead of or on top of a rubber band. It's a little more manageable than wrapping hair around it, and you can tie a knot to finish it off--which doesn't really work on hair. To take it off, just cut close to the knot & unwrap it.

3. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    ecila, there was a post in the Padmé Naboo Family gown, it had a link to some wigs. Wigs

That might help you, you could get a straight wig and just curl it before, as a test. :)

And thank you for the solutions, I'm going to have to test those out. :D

~Spacelady

4. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Thank you spacelady! I also found these wigs on ebay for Padme:

[image=http://www.myphotospace.com/upload/130/obsession33.jpg]

[image=http://www.myphotospace.com/upload/130/obsession30.jpg]

And these for Eowyn:

[image=http://www.myphotospace.com/upload/130/duchess27-613.jpg]

[image=http://www.myphotospace.com/upload/130/duchesst16-613.jpg]

[image=http://www.myphotospace.com/upload/130/cosabella18-22N.jpg]

What do you guys think?

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Those look great ecila - can you PM me or IM me that eBay seller? I'm going to need an Arwen wig at some point, and that top one looks pretty good.

6. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    This is a bit of a last minute question, since I'm leaving in the morning, but I'm having a style 911!
    I've called all around my city and cant find any of the kanekalon hair that many have suggested in this thread.
    Does anyone happen to know of any place in Toronto that may have the braiding hair? I'm heading out there tomorrow, and it just occured to me now, last minute, that in a big city like that there must be someone that has it.
    Any suggestions for places to try down there would be much appreciated!

-mo

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I don't know of any personally, but Googling "wig shop toronto" returns some decent results.

Good luck!

8. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Giving this a bump due to recent coiffure query...

9. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Hello, all.

I'm working on my first non-Jedi, character specific costume and was hoping for a some help.

the costume is Amidala's 'storming the castle' velvet outfit from TPM. My sister, far more skilled at sewing than me, is creating a wonderful version of it, but hair is giving me pause. I have short red hair and decided that only a wig would work. I know someone that will make me a custom wig, but she needs a few good, clear images of the hairstyle.

Therein lies the problem. I have several good images of the costume, but none of the hairstyle. Could anyone direct me to some close up images of Amidala's hairstyle when she lead the attack on Theed Castle?

Much thanks for any assistance.

10. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
  11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  12. Desiderata

Desiderata Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2005
    That is a greattutorial, but how am I going to do this with short hair??? Any tips and ideas would be great!!!

13. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    You could always buy a fake piece, like I have. It clips into your hair, and mine only cost $14. Now that my hair is long enough, I can do it without the piece.

14. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Ooooh, somebody else tried it and it worked??? GREAT!!

I just got mailed a catalog full of wigs. Several might be good for Padme hairstyles, plus there is a very long ponytail on an elastic band that would be excellent to do Padme's tattooine hairstyle from TPM with, or perhaps Leia buns. They have a website, www.beautytrends.com .

--LLL

(AKA Scribe888)

15. Padme_0421

Padme_0421 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Hey guys,

I am old/new to this board lol. Wow they're a lot of very awesome posts in this forum, I don't quit have the time to go through all of them though :p, so I apologize if this wuestion has already been asked/answered. If so would you please direct me to it :), thanks.

Anywho I was just wondering how you would get your hair to curl like Padme's. A curlying iron or hot rollers? If so what size? My hair is naturally curly but not that like. If I could just figure this one thing out it's be great becasue you guys already have posted instructions on how to do the styles, which is so awesome! But if anyone has any ideas on my question please let me know A.S.A.P :D thanks a lot!!

~KT

16. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    You know, it really depends on YOUR HAIR.

If you have hair that holds a curl easily, all you have to do is experiment with rollers the right shape.

I'd try benders, or some thin hot roller that you *spiral* the curl around, rather than roll the hair over and over itself in the traditional way. When you let curls like this down you can't brush them hardly at all, or they will lose definition.

If your hair is like mine and won't hold a curl worth crap ... things are more complicated.

Somebody on here mentioned a product that will hold curl in the STUBBORNEST hair. I usually get a spiral perm, which really helps. Then I use setting lotion, and foam rollers, which I have to sleep on. Unfortunately, even with a perm, my hair is too stubborn to curl with any kind of hot roller.

Good luck.

17. OneJediQueen

OneJediQueen Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2004
    rag curls work great, actually better than sponge curlers or hot rollers, and it won't damage.
    Just buy some $1/yard material at Wal-Mart (the closer to your haircolor, the better).
    Cut about 50-100, 6" by 2" strips (I have 3 feet of thick hair, so I need a lot)
    Take oh so slightly damp hair and separate it into large sections and separate each large section into a smaller ones (one to two inch chunks, depending on hair thickness).
    Take Mousse and work it through one of the small chunks(and ONLY Mousse. It's not heavy or crunchy like gel and hairspray. I use $1 Suave level 4 hold.)
    Tie a strip onto the end of the hair, wrapping stray ends around the strip, start rolling the strip towards the scalp.
    At the top of the scalp, tie the two ends of the strip together.
    Continue with all of hair in the same manner (it takes me 1-1.5 hours to do it all [while watching a movie and eating popcorn, or course])
    Let it air dry overnight or at least 4 hours then blowdry.
    When taking out the curls, untie the strip, hold the curl and pull out the strip. It should slide off your hair easily (or untie the bottom once it's exposed).

use your fingers or a wide pick to separate (if desired).

It worked great for my long, thick, slightly frizzy head as well as my sister-in-law's ultra-fine, thin, smooth mane.

Good luck!!

18. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    Thank you to both LLL and OneJediQueen ! Both of your suggestions are very helpful.

I have another question though, for the premiere I am going to probably do my hair like one of these pics, for eahc of these them what would you suggest using? Curling iron, hot rollers, or rag curls? If curling iron or hot rollers what size? Thanks :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/Alaska%20and%20camp/padmehair1.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/Alaska%20and%20camp/padmehair2.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/Alaska%20and%20camp/padmehair.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/eowyn04/Alaska%20and%20camp/padmehair3.bmp

Thanks again!

~KT

19. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    On MY hair (my stubborn, thin, fine, old-perm hair -- yours may be different) ...

I'd do rag curls for the first two (less brushing for the first one, more brushing for the second), and perhaps hot rollers or a curling iron (medium to large for the third, medium to small for the second).

Except hot rollers won't work for me, so I'd have to do rags or sponge rollers for all and just pray. But those last 2 definitely look like a hot set to me.

I always, always practice before a special occasion and wear it around for several hours at least to see how well it will hold up. Especially when I have to do curls.

20. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    I would go for the rag curls. They hold longer than the curls you make with the curling iron or hot rollers :)

21. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    LLL : Thanks for the suggestions on the pictures. How big do you think the sections of hair should be?

Lenyon : I think I will try to rag cuels first. It's a good idea. Also, how thick should the sections be? I know I asked already but, never hurts to have two people's opinions lol.

Thanks to you both :D!

~KT

22. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    My guess:

That last one looks like small sections, lots of curls, lots of holding gel, little brushing/combing. Like about 1/2 inch sections all over your head.

The first and third, I'd try mostly 1 inch sections, some 1/2 inch mixed in.

The second, you could probably get away with 1 1/2 inch sections if wound tightly enough, as you're going to brush that one a lot anyway.

Bear in mind, I haven't actually tried these. But if I were going to, this is what I'd start with.

Rag curls I bet would hold longer, especially on my head. But those perfectly shaped round curls smell of hard hot curlers ... whether a roller set or a curling iron barrel. You might not get such perfect shape and definition from softer rollers. (Of course, I always did Deanna Troi curls, which look more like piccie #2, and soft sponge rollers were just the ticket.)

23. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    Wow thanks :D. Now, i've never done rag curls before...so..lol...how long do u cut the strips, and out of waht just like an old t-shirt or sumthing? how do u tie them off? I feel like an ammature haha. Thanks :D

~KT

24. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    You can cut it best out of cotton fabric, maybe you have an old bed sheet you can use? Than just cut fabric strips like this:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Tenyon/costumes%20and%20gear/ribbons.jpg]

There is a Padme picnic hair tutorial on the
    padawansguide wich discribes how you use rag curls:

I hope it can be of any use to you :)

25. Padme_0421

Mar 26, 2005
    Thanks! That does help me a lot :)! I am going to try it this tomorrow night. I'll let ya know how it goes lol. The padawans guide thing also said something about rubber curlers in the front. I have some of those but it doesn't really say how many you do or where you do it. Do you know? And also when curling it do you wrap the hair under or over? Thanks again :D!

~KT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.