main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Mara Jade Fan said it was OK to start a new thread on the topic, just keep it on topic please.

Well, I'm a dedicated SW collector. However, I don't believe I'm anywhere near as dedicated as someone I was very fortunate to get to know before she passed away. :(

Yes, I'm talking about our friend padme_skywalkr. Man, she loved collecting. She proudly displayed all of her carded figures on the wall of her bedroom. She was also into SW costumes, a LOT.

So yeah, there's quite a few female SW collectors out there. I don't think gender should make a *huge* difference in this regard...

Chanel, you will be forever remembered...

Kato Sai likes this.
  2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Count me in.

3. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanks for restarting the thread Princess_Tina, and also for mentioning Chanel and that she too was a collector. As I stated in the other thread, there is a link in my Bio to the pictures of my collection. I collect anything and everything with the name Star Wars on it, but I prefer the vintage items... the stuff that was around when I was a kid.

4. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    When I was lifeguarding over the summer, I was telling one of my fellow lifeguards (a guy) about spending my paycheck on SW figures, then another lifeguard (a hot chick) came over and asked what I was talking about. I was kinda embarassed, here's this gorgeous gal who just found out I collect SW stuff. She then launched into a disscussion about her collecting SW, LOTR, and other various lines! Great moment there, folks.

5. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Wow. Kinda makes me wish I was you. :(

clone commander bossk likes this.
  6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "When I was lifeguarding over the summer, I was telling one of my fellow lifeguards (a guy) about spending my paycheck on SW figures, then another lifeguard (a hot chick) came over and asked what I was talking about. I was kinda embarassed, here's this gorgeous gal who just found out I collect SW stuff. She then launched into a disscussion about her collecting SW, LOTR, and other various lines! Great moment there, folks."

[face_shocked] I hope you made the best of this situation.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I hope you made the best of this situation.

Like telling her, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"? (their collection, that is! ;) )

8. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Cool thread! I too am a female collector. I was 8 years old when I first saw A New Hope in theatres, and I suppose you could say I've been a collector ever since, because I got a whole slew of Star Wars figures for Christmas that year, as well as the original vinyl album.

Now I'm 34, and have amassed quite a collection of stuff...LOL. But I love all of it and it would be very hard to part with it! It's kinda fun though when your boyfriend tells all his friends that his girlfriend has the coolest toys hehehe

teamhansolo likes this.
  9. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Make way, nother female collector coming through :p . I have been collecting since I was 7 (now 15) A lot of people I know are collectors but they're all guys. I'm the only crazed lunitic I know who collects SW and like them for that matter. When I go to toy stores I get a lot of strange looks but oh well.

10. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Hehe don't worry, I think I'm the only female I know of over 30 who has Star Wars figures on her desk at work...LOL

11. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Hey an American Claymores fan, cool! My wife and I are season ticket holders, helps that we live right across from their home stadium! lol!

12. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Awesome! I got to go to a game there a couple of years ago. Was great fun!

13. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Cool, glad you enjoyed it. If you ever come again be sure to pop in for a coffee before the game!

14. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    You're right, SW collecting isn't just a guy thing. I don't know why some people think it's wierd to see us girls with a big collection. I started mine with four POTF 3 3/4" figures when I was in 7th grade and now I'm a first-year college student and it's nearly taken over my room!

BTW, while we're on the subject, have any of you seen/heard of a 13" Darth Vader figure with a cloth cape and has (I believe) three buttons on his back that you push and he says "Luke, help me take this mask off," and two other ROTJ lines? I got it at a flea market about two years ago for $10 and haven't been able to find any information on it anywhere. I'm assuming it was made no earlier than 1983, as he says lines from ROTJ. Does this ring a bell to anyone? ?[face_plain]

15. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Yea I don't get it either as to why a lot of people think SW is a guy thing. A lot of them just think that we are only in it for the Han/Leia and Anakin/Padme romances but thats not it at all. Heck in '97 I dressed up as C-3PO for Halloween and then this year ('03) I dressed up as a Jedi (no jedi specific) just my own. I dressed up in my Jedi costume to school and got tons of weird looks from guys and girls in general.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    BTW, while we're on the subject, have any of you seen/heard of a 13" Darth Vader figure with a cloth cape and has (I believe) three buttons on his back that you push and he says "Luke, help me take this mask off," and two other ROTJ lines? I got it at a flea market about two years ago for $10 and haven't been able to find any information on it anywhere. I'm assuming it was made no earlier than 1983, as he says lines from ROTJ. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

DarthShoda, I have one of those... it's really pretty cool. :)

I believe it's from the POTF era... sirstevesguide.com is down for maintenance at the moment, I will check later... :)

17. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Cool!! I'll check it out sometime!

When I go to toy stores I get a lot of strange looks but oh well.

Same thing happens to me all the time. You're not alone! :)

18. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I don't get too many strange looks, although occassionally while checking out at the cash register, the cashier will ask me, "Is it your son or husband that is into Star Wars?" Then I proudly say... Nope, they are for me! :D

19. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    She then launched into a disscussion about her collecting SW, LOTR, and other various lines! Great moment there, folks.

wow I really do wish that was me! there is like no girl star wars collectors that I know of.....and thats probably why I don't have a girlfriend lol.

Forcebewitya!

20. DarthNightwing

DarthNightwing Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    I see no problem with female being a SW collector. Since SW popular with everyone, it pretty normal either male or female collect many SW items. I mean, it not like a guy have bunch of Barbie collection there. :p

21. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm a collector. I display a large portion of my collection in my classroom--my students love looking at my Star Wars action figures. :)

22. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I practically don't have anymore room in my bedroom so a portion of my stuff is in our living room my parents don't like though since it stands out.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Ehh what do parents know Jaggy? I still have my Chewie mug on the computer stand right next to our pictures. It's not going anywhere until I move out.

I've had to start a rotating collection. I put out as many figures as I can, box the rest. Ususally I do little scenes or themes. Last display was
    "major events in the skywalker family"
    "Death or near death scenes"
    the Battle of Geonisis with out the
    droids (don't have enough).
    Next I'm doing
    Courscant
    Tatooine
    First Death Star
    Bespin
    Maybe Endor or Second death star
    depedning on space

cathiecat likes this.
  24. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Heck, I dress up like a Royal Guard NOW, and I'm 34! LOL

25. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    I practically don't have anymore room in my bedroom so a portion of my stuff is in our living room my parents don't like though since it stands out.

That's going to be me in another month or so!!

cathiecat likes this.