main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA FIDM Exhibit - Dressing A Galaxy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I can't remember if a thread had already been started for this - but for those who are interested in seeing the Star Wars costumes on display at FIDM in Los Angeles, tickets are now on sale at $5.00 each. The tickets are sold in time blocks, with 12 allocations per slot.

The exhibit runs Sept 12 - Dec 10th. For more information visit http://starwars.fidm.edu/

Perhaps it might be fun to take a road trip in September? I know I plan to see the exhibit anyway ;)

- Kay Dee

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    WHAT!!! Charging admission??? TIME Blocks???? What happened to FIDM always being free and sitting/standing in front of a costume for hours sketching every single little detail (Trust me, I know every stitch of Jack Sparrows outfit now..from 4 visits and 8 hours of sketching eatch time)...ARRGGGH.

And on that note..when is everyone going? :)

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    It's only 5 bucks. It's probably a way to keep the place from being swarmed with a millian nerds at once. They are in 15 minute intervals.

But also if we do a road trip I really really want to see the king Tut exhibit more I remember seeing it the last time it was here in the US and it started my interest in ancient history, mythology, and ancient Egyption culture. King Tut Los Angeles

We need to plan these things way in advance, not only because of the tickets, but because of the hotel room reservations. I can get us a couple of rooms just outside of LA for less than $50 a night.

4. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Sounds like fun. Now I guess it's just a matter of finding a weekend that works for everyone. We should probably first establish who definatly wants to go.

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I was originally thinking of going opening day (a Monday) hoping Trisha might be there, but if not, that first weekend works for me. Then when we get back, we can celebrate my birthday on the following Monday! ;)

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, opening day would be cool. I'm trying to figure out if I want to try that (assuming tickets are still avaialble that day) and stay with friends it LA. I just wasn't sure what everyone elses schedule was looking like, or if there was even interest in making a little 'club' trip. As far as hotels in and around LA, there are some places I'd want to stay away from. But if you were thinking of outside of LA as being Valencia or something, that would be fine. (I lived in Simi Valley for years, went to school in the San Fernando Valley, and several of my friends still live in and around LA - so I'm familar with parts of it).

- Kay Dee

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Robert and I were talking about a group trip down there, probably flying. Speaking for myself, I could do the first day or first weekend. I wish I could also go the the John Williams concert labor Day weekend. :( Thanks for posting this, BTW< Kathy. You beat me to it!

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I've been checking and places with available Marriott employee discounts are in either Old Pasadena, Torrence, and Anaheim. I'm limited to 2 rooms at the employee discount. But The friends and family rate is not that much different. I think I can get two additional rooms with that.

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, Torrence could be OK (I need to double check the location). I have friends that live near there anyway in San Pedro. Anaheim could be good too if people wanted to go to Disneyland or something that weekend (I know that gets pricey though). I'm not so familiar with the Padaseden area though. Too bad opening day isn't closer to the weekend. Then I could do both!

I guess the number of rooms would depend on if people wanted to do the room mate thing or not.

- kay dee

10. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    As far as when, I suggest mid or Late September...as my availabilty will hopefully change for the better - as my unemployment runs out in October and will possibly have a new job by then.

And if things run just as smoothly in LA, as they did recently in SD, then I am so more for it with the 2 rooms, guys/girls thing :).

11. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    I am one of their alumni, perhaps they have some special deals for their members. Let me check it out and see what response I receive from them.

12. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I would like to go to this. I guess I can just come down with studentitis for a couple days...

13. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    Middle of september works for me. I was planning to take a vacation at that time but it got canceled so I'll consider this my vacation instead. Although we should get the details decided soon, especially if we are flying. That way we can work out tickets, days off, etc. Thanks for the offer of the hotel rooms Robert.

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    The FIDM site has been updated, including a little preview slide show with examples of what I'm hoping will be on display.

http://starwars.fidm.edu/exhibition/exhibit.shtm?section=exhibition&subsection=bycategory

I personally couldn't be happier if what the slide show indicates is true - Padme's Meadow Picnic dress and Padme's Purple Senatorial Dress :)

OK, I'm a costuming freak! That's my Star Wars passion :p

- Kay Dee

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Keep the weekend if the 17th of September open.

Film at 11.;)

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, I'm keeping the weekend before that open as well ;) . We'll see what develops! Regardless I'm just a really happy camper knowing I'm finally going to get to see these things in person. Woo hoo!

- Kay Dee

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Maybe we can talk about this at the meeting tomorrow! Since tickets are sold in blocks I think we should decide pretty soon if we want to go as a group before things sell out for Saturday Morning time slots on the 17th? I'm almost thinking of getting a ticket for opening day on Monday just in case. It's 5 bucks, so maybe better to be safe than sorry?

- Kay Dee

18. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Tickets are sold in blocks of 12 per 15 minutes.

I was planning on driving down sometime after work on the 17th and getting into SoCal in the afternoon.

19. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    This might have been covered at the meeting but now that Robert got us hotel rooms, have we decided on a time to get tickets for on Sunday?

20. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Okay, I have 2 rooms booked at the Anaheim Marriott Suites. Each room has 2 beds and a sofabed with a separate bedroom and living quarters. It's less than 2 miles from Disneyland since some people expressed interest in going to Disneyland.

I think we should go to the FIDM and King Tut on Saturday. We may even be able to get them out of the way before we check into our hotel. All day Sunday and part of Monday, we can spend in Disneyland.

Any other suggestions?

Right now it look like admittance to Tut is at 5 PM on Sat, 3 PM on Sunday, and 9 AM on Monday. It could be that the tixs are sold not as per request but you are given the next time block, but I may be totally wrong.

I'll need a head count of who is in on this pretty soon.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, I'd like to go to FIDM for sure :) I'm assuming that you would have to fly down early Saturday morning in order to have adequate time to go see FIDM and then King Tut, if you want to have all day Sunday for Disneyland. I'd imagine people will want to spend quite some time in FIDM as well as at King Tut. To be on the safe side I'd imagine a later time for King Tut on Saturday would be best (if people really want to get their money's worth out of Disneyland on Sunday). We can always notify the hotel in Anaheim we'll be checking in late. Anaheim is a bit of a drive from Downtown LA so I suggest we do everything we want to in LA before heading to the hotel. The back and forth in traffic would be a big time waster.

Then again, I think we need to get a feel for how many people want to shell out the bucks on going to Disneyland - it might not be something everyone can go to. You probably also have to get a head count on how many people can fly versus the idea of renting a car and driving down (It is likely I will drive down a day or two ahead of the group to spend time at FIDM taking notes on costumes and visit friends. I can easily spend the entire day there).

- Kay Dee

22. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Does this mean you can only look around for 15 mins at a time? That seems like it would keep people from really being able to enjoy the exhibit. Look around for 15 mins, get interrupted by the time factor, then have to go back and look later, picking up where you left off. Am I understanding this right? I know people are [face_pig]s at heart, [face_laugh] , but this sounds kind of invasive to me.

23. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    The tixs are in blocks of 12 every 15 minutes. Sorta like when we only allowed in 10 people at a time for the midnight premier so not everybody crowds in at once. So after the first hour or so, there would be about 50 people in the museum which is not really a lot and it wil disperse over time. Some like Kathy of course will be spending hours there :D.

24. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Okay, I get it now. The way I read it I thought people would get kicked out after spending 15 mins. LOL, that'd be great for business! :rolleyes:

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I've been chatting with fellow costumer Cat who runs the Alley Cat Scratch site. She said that since FIDM has never had an event of this magnitude there may be a chance that if it gets crowded, people might be asked to move on. But for the most part I think once you are in you can look at your leisure.

Cat also runs the Yahoo LOTR Costume Gather and got in touch with her contacts who operate the FIDM exhibit. I know a lot of this info is a repeat, but some is not. Here is what he had to say:

1. Photography will be allowed. NO FLASH. NO TRIPODS.

2. Sketching will be allowed, space permitting.
    (In both cases, if the galleries get too crowded, Security may need to ask people to move on.)

3. There are no special opening events for costume folks. We are expecting 100,000 to 200,000 visitors over the three months this exhibition is open. Tickets are required, and may be obtained for a nominal fee through our website, www.starwars.fidm.edu. This website has volumes of information about the exhibition, including maps, parking, public transportation, etc.

4. Folks visiting in costume are more than welcome. The only limitation is nothing that looks like a weapon will be permitted in the galleries, and we do not have anywhere to check bags.

Some people at LOTR Costume Gather may attempt to organize a group who would like to attend the exhibit in costume. Note - these people are not officially involved in opening events. Just costuming fans who decided they would like to attend the exhibit in costume.

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.