main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA FIDM Exhibit - Dressing A Galaxy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll be there although I have a b-day party for my grandma to attend so I don't know how long I will be able to stay. By the way, are there any maps from AAA I should get for this road trip?

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hello all - I'm in the Bay Area so if the meeting is still on for noon Sunday the 11th I can make it. I'm happy to bring the print outs of everyone's afternoon ticket in exchange for 5 dollars :)

I look forward to seeing people tomorrow!

- Kay Dee

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    ^That goes for me, too. I can get $5 from everyone for the morning tickets. Kathy, I think we cancel each other out. ;)

4. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, crud. Somehow I managed to forget that this afternoon was my hubby's birthday party... so I'm not going to be able to make it up. I'll probably call in and see what details I can find, but if someone could take note of what I need to know it'd be soooo muchly appriciated [face_batting]

1. Whatever the car arrangements are... if I could get a spot in some vehicle that'd be great hehe.

2. What is the planned route to get down there? Ideally I'd love to meet up with the caravan off of 280 or somewhere in the San Jose area... getting ride to/from SF could be tricky and I know I can't afford the parking rates for that whole weekend hahaha. If I could find out who's driving so I can work out a meetup spot, that'd be peachy :D

3. As far as my $5 and ticket printout... could someone grab mine for me? I can paypal the $5 or mail it or bring it with.

Thanks a ton... sorry to be a paaaaain. I promise not to be on the trip [face_laugh] (oh well... other than pee breaks which are part of being a pregnant lady LOL)

I am SOOO looking forward to this trip!! Will miss you guys today, have fun!!! And I'll see you all next Sat!!!

5. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I'll bring the money for the ticket printout. I have to leave the Meteron by 3:10, I have homework to finish up and a math test to study for. My stupid printer isn't working so I have to get over to the library to type out my homework...

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Adyn - since you have to take lots of pee breaks you might want to buy a few extra tickets for Monday if they are still available! (Totally forgot about your special situation). Once you step out to pee you can't reenter the exhibit without a new ticket. They don't have restrooms inside the museum. :(

I hope they are not sold out yet! You might also e-mail FIDM about your special situation and see if they can accomodate you in some way? Explain you are making a special trip down just to see this.

- Kay Dee

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    If you all check the costuming and props forum, someone posted a few snapshots of the exculsive opening gala event held at the exhibit last night - that's what some select fans with exceptional costumes were given a chance to participate in *sigh*. http://boards.theforce.net/Costuming_and_Props/b10019/21131528/p4/?99

I'm assuming some people from San Diego with the inside connections may have also been there? George Lucas was there, I'm assuming Trisha probably was too. They will take a few of the costumes off the display and fly them to New York for the fashion show this week.

It looks like there is low level plexi at the bottom of the displays to deter people from sitting on the risers and such (that happens sometimes at the Motion picture exhibit each year).

- Kay Dee

8. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Hey Kat, and to the other members going on this lil' road-trip, I posted the link to the hotel waaaaaaay back on page 2 of this thread. But instead of remeniscing about the past [face_mischief], here is that same link:

Marriott Anaheim Suites

9. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Ok, I didn't want to spoil it for you guys, but I was one of the lucky few (costuming) fans who was able to attend and "work" the FIDM opening event.
    Here are my pics of the exhibit!
    You guys will really enjoy it.. it's well worth your trip down here!!
    Have fun! I may even run into you guys there, I plan on going to the exhibit opening day at 11:30. If you see me, say hi!
    I'm the guy who isn't George.

EDIT - Some of the photos aren't that great because you're not allowed to use a flash. So practice taking pictures with no flash (although my flash did "accidentally" go off a couple times [face_whistling]). George was obviously there as was Trisha Biggar and Ivo Coveney. Other than that, the only other person I recognized was Amy Allen.

10. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Lucky freaking bummer.

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Here's the SDSWS thread about the exhibit. I'm not looking at the pics, so I'll be surprised. But I can't wait to get the souvenirs! :)

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=21527825&start=21527993

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for posting the pics JediRacer! It's good to have an idea of the lay of the land and what costumes to anticipate seeing before getting there. I'm pleased to see that one costume I've worked on (and am currently making a new and improved version of) is front and center for easy viewing! Too bad some others I've wanted to get a close look at are pushed to the back row :(

Congrats on meeting George! I'm trying not to be sad about not having been able to join in the fun this weekend (That would have been an ultimate dream, but I have a long ways to go before I master costume construction) . I know I'll have a blast just seeing the costumes next week with everyone!

- Kay Dee

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It looks like FIDM is actually encouraging people to show up in costume! Now which to choose....

14. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Matt,

Although you can probably be safe to bring any weapons, lightsabers etc. you have, they may have you leave them at the security desk while you tour the exhibit. We had to do that the two days we were there.

15. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I will not be costuming. Plus the van is going to be packed as it is. So I highly encourage not costuming for this event.

Matt, we need to know about Disney discount as soon as possible.

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    The jury is still out on bringing my costume along. Surprisingly, the Senate dress is the fastest one for me to get into because the hair is a headdress that sits on top of my own hair. I just have to put it on in the parking garage like I did at Comic-Con. The reason we missed the 501st shoot because it took us so long to fight traffic to the parking lot. We had to run to the photo shoot with no time for me to change.

If I did bring my costume, I'd only wear it for an hour or so for 'fun' and then change into comfy museum clothes so I can actually move about and look at the displays. On the other hand, people are there to see the real deal, not fans in imitations that might be lacking in some respect or another - so I'd feel kind of foolish.

- Kay Dee

17. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Right, it would not do to distract from the museum experience. We are not there to show off ourselves.

And if I remember right, the parking lot for FIDM is ourdoors.

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Actually, the parking lot for FIDM is underground and indoors, just under the building that FIDM is in. If that lot fills up, then you have to pick one of the random lots downtown and walk a block or so.

I don't mean to disagree, but I think people should do whatever will make the experience fun for them. After all, we are making a special trip down for this. If it's a matter of not having room for someone's costume I can take it in my car. It might also be interesting to get a feel for what people from the LA and SD fan forces are planning to do. I tend to think if they aren't in costume I won't want to be in costume either.

- Kay Dee

19. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    And to answer your question about costuming or not...

And for more on that topic: SDSWS FIDM THREAD

Here is also the link to the L.A. Fan Force: LAFF FIDM THREAD

20. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    I'd love to go in costume... if only I FIT in mine hahahahahahaha.

Too bad I don't have a pregnant padme one, that'd rock hehe.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Or to reiterate the information I posted on the first page of this thread:

4. Folks visiting in costume are more than welcome. The only limitation is nothing that looks like a weapon will be permitted in the galleries, and we do not have anywhere to check bags.

This information was sent via e-mai from Michael Black who works for FIDM and helps run the costume exhibits each year.

- Kay Dee

22. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    This information is true. I had to check in my homemade PVC Rebel Trooper Blaster with the shady security guards when I went into the exhibit. It's best to leave the weapons at home if you're going to wear a costume, unless you plan on just standing outside.

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Does anyone have AAA? I hear they have Disneyland discount tix. JediRacer has also offered his work discount of $46 for Disneyland, or $56 for both Disneyland and California Adventures.

24. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Disneyland does not give discounts for AAA members. I've tried that many times. The One-Day Park Hopper gets you into both parks for one day. You could spend all day at Disneyland, but maybe 3/4 of a day at California Adventure. To get more info about the parks, visit our LAFF board, we have a lot of Disneyland "otaku" who go ALL THE TIME. Well, some even work there.
    If you go, do not miss the new fireworks show at Disneyland. It's awesome, and the best place to see it is in front of the Castle.

25. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Last time I went to Disneyland I visited Californialand and I thought it was a waste of time. I don't know if any of you guys have been there, but I wouldn't recommend going. The only part I liked about it was being able to buy a Bean doll from the Muppet store. (He was one of my favorite muppets when I was little)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.