main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Meeting

Discussion in 'Archive: Connecticut' started by EndorRebelScum, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    So, anyone want to start a first meeting.

Place
    Day, Time
    What

2. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm in CT until New Years but I'm in the Danbury area. I'd be happy to set something up here but I don't know the other areas of the state so that would only work if people would be willing to come this way. I don't know how spread apart we are... CT is really too big to only have one chapter... But since it's technically New Haven, a New Havener can step up and organize something instead. Let me know what's going on.

3. Saturniia

Saturniia Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2004
    I can do anytime between the 26th of Dec and the end of January.

4. Saturniia

Feb 28, 2004
    Concerning place, we need to have a clear idea of how many people can get to any specific place in the state.

In New Haven county, we have Circle Lanes in East Haven, Cosi's, Toad's, and at least a dozen other places in New Haven proper, The Space in Hamden, libraries in all towns in the area, and at least a thousand other places I haven't thought of yet. If we want to go out farther, there's the Milford Post Mall and Barnes & Noble in North Haven and Orange/West Haven as well as New Haven.

Problems? Toad's and The Space can get loud, libraries would probably like advance notice if we're holding a meeting in a public room (but they aren't quite as quiet as you might think), and the mall and outward lying Barnes & Nobles might be more difficult for some of us to get to.

That's all for now.

5. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I am still voting for the post mall.

Me and one of my good friends are available tommorow for a meeting.

6. EndorRebelScum

Nov 30, 2004
    I love the north haven barnes and noble (got idea, book talk) I live about 20 minutes away

7. Saturniia

Feb 28, 2004
    Might be able to make the Post Mall tomorrow, but I'm not sure (still don't have my licence, v. dependent on mom and pop for anyplace beyond my neighborhood and downtown NH when I'm home). B&N is always fun, as long as we don't cause too much of a ruckus.

8. EndorRebelScum

Nov 30, 2004
    I remember they used to have manga across from the clifford books, and a parent saw "innapropriate images" and the manager saw and he was really embarrased.

9. Saturniia

Feb 28, 2004
    Hmm... fairy tales could be considered "inappropriate images" by some, couldn't they? And what about the trashy romances even being in the same <i>store</i> as the young adult books? Teenagers are ingenious, you know...

The point is that "inapproprite images" is highly subjective. As for meetings... I don't know. I'm at both my best and my worst at 2 am.

10. EndorRebelScum

Nov 30, 2004
    Hey, let's get this back up!

11. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    yawn, were all too far way. This is looking like a pipe dream.

Sidenote: I'm filming my stop animation film on thursday. Took me three days to build the set.

12. Jedi9181

Jedi9181 Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2005
    I don't think that its a pipe dream. All we have to do is try. I think we can do it. We can all help out to make it work.

13. ARC-1138

ARC-1138 Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    Do or Do not...there is no try. OK...I couldn't resist. I do think geographic boundries are going to be an issue for some folks. Also, would you expect a 17 year old to be able to drive 1+ hours one way during a weeknight to meet up with complete strangers? I thought there was already someone that has hosted these meetings before. I wouldn't expect them (meetings) to be very frequent but if the turn-out is going to be small....it won't encourage others to go in the future. I was hoping for a little more formal guidance but it looks like we're going to be on our own for a while. I guess we need to find out some basic info first:

WHO: Do we know how to contact the people who would want to go? Do we know who these people are? Do we spread the word to other forums?

WHERE: I guess this ties into the WHO part. If we have people all over the state what's a half-way point?

WHAT: I know we don't want to formalize this much but WHAT do we want to cover/discuss? Having some ideas would make people want to attend. They would need to get something more than they do just by using the Internet Message boards. Maybe we could start off with a bunch of us taking a road trip to see ROTS and discussing our thoughts later over a bite to eat.

Perhaps I'm rambling here but I'm up for something.

14. Jedi9181

May 2, 2005
    No No your not rambling. I think those are very valid points. We would have to find out Who, What, When, and Where. How we do it will all be determand by the first four. Maybe get the word out that there are Star Wars fans from parts of CT that would like to have a get together with others from CT. Have everyone bring something to share with everyone and have like a Picnic type gathering just to get things started off. Nothing big, just sort of like an Ice Breaker to meet and see who would be interested in doing this, for Example, One a Month.

Cool?

15. Jedi9181

May 2, 2005
    WOW. No responces in 2 weeks. I still think it can be done. I think even if it was say a small group that meets first time around that would be cool, we could then spred the word from there.

Looks like C4 is a go. HINT HINT.

16. ARC-1138

ARC-1138 Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    I was waiting for some responses as well. Looks like our first meeting will not be that big. We could probably have it inside a McDonalds booth! I can't believe the interest isn't here. Maybe everyone thinks we're wackos. How many people have actually met each other? Do you think hosting some sort of on-line chat would break the ice? This way no one would have to travel or meet up with a complete stranger alone. Just some more thoughts.

17. EndorRebelScum

Nov 30, 2004
    I've been playing Galaxies with alot of Connecticans lately. Maybe I'll talk to them.

18. Jedi9181

May 2, 2005
    I like the online chat meeting. See where it goes from there I guess. I really hope this works out.

Peace.

19. DavlyPanma

DavlyPanma Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    I'd show up to the chat. I'm going to be getting my Star Wars themed alienware soon and it's coming with Star Wars: Galaxies. I'll be playing too. Let me know what your sn is. I'd like to hook up with some other CT players.

20. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    Theres interest. I'd love to meet. But I don't have a car. And no offense to ya'll, but my parental units would not be fond of me telling them,"bye! I'm leaving with my friend I met on the internet!"

Perhaps the next convention that's near. Not neccessarily in CT,. but near. I went to Big Apple Con with BlueMilkRunner, but I go to school with him anyway.

21. Jedi9181

May 2, 2005
    I think Rebel Legion:Echo Base is trying to get something done for ConnectiCon in July.

22. EndorRebelScum

Nov 30, 2004
    Alot of cons are coming now that the new convention center is finished. Who knows, if its big enough, maybe C4 will be there!

23. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    C...4?

Here?

[face_head_explodes]

24. Jedi9181

May 2, 2005
    As completely cool as that would be, I think leaveing it in Indianapolis is better. More Central for all. But back to the topic at hand.

Anyone know of a good place to hold the Chat?

25. ARC-1138

ARC-1138 Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    Well... going by the numbers of respondents here, we might be able to get by with AOL/MSN/Yahoo. Assuming people already have accounts. If not there are places like http://www.chat.net that offer chat services. I have never used that site so it would be a learning experience for all of us.

I would think that most of us would already have an IM account established. We would want the ability to create our "own room" for this. For those of you that have attended large group chats....you know that it is difficult to keep track of everything going on. With a room dedicated to ourselves it would be easier.

I have IM accounts for AOL, MSN and Yahoo. Let's see what the common platform is out there and work from there. It doesn't take much to create an account. Maybe some would want to create an additional account just to use for this first session in case you don't feel comfortabel sharing your "real" IM account/ID with strangers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.