main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Fishing for interest in Starwars RPG

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Talmerith, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    I was just wondering if there is any local interest in pen and paper Starwars gaming. Kosmic, my brother and I play Starwars D20 on a regular basis and it?s a blast. Anyone else play? Anyone interested in playing?

Might be fun to get some people together for a game.

2. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    How do you play? What do I need to play it.

3. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I have a bunch of the sourcebooks, but have NEVER played any RPG-type 'pen and paper' game. I wish I was in Calgary.

4. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I wish I was in Calgary for this too, as we are starving for players for our games, both "live" and on our online messageboard...

5. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I was playing regularly a couple years ago and it was great. My group can never get together often now...

6. Kosmic

Kosmic Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2005
    Basically, the concept is role playing. You have a character, and you act out that character in the context of the game. The character has stats and other details which are recorded on a sheet of paper, but basically how you act your character is based on what kind of persona you want it to have. You would also choose a background. In the game we are playing, Jedi are rare (it takes place a year before the destruction of Alderaan at the moment), but there may still be a few kicking around. Your character could be anything you can conceive of, realized through the game system. A Bounty Hunter, Imperial (Talmerith has had an on and off again relationship with the Empire), Rebel, Driod, essentially whatever you like. The current concept takes place around the movies, and canon continuity is not really messed with. Though it is a big galaxy, so there is lots of room for adventure, whether in or out of Imperial space.

Originality is encouraged, though building around a concept is ok. Generally, the players don't play Core or EU characters, though they may encounter them on occassion (The party has met Thrawn, Vader, The Emperor, Leia, Bail Organa and others). The group itself consists of a fallen Jedi (Talmerith, who keeps trying that road to redemption, but keeps going the wrong way), an Imperial TIE pilot, a Jedi who still adheres to the code (as arrogant as he is), as well as an aged ARC Trooper.

As for what you need for the game. Honestly, you don't need a thing. We have it all. Dice, books, character sheets. So it would be easy to get you started. Of course, I bear no responsibility if you get drawn in and start buying books, lol.

We've been playing for a while, so it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate another.

7. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    I actually had kind of an inkling to play it. A friend described it to me way back and it sounded awesome. I've never done dice RPGs before, though. I'd love to learn.

8. Talmerith

Dec 2, 2005
    Well I wouldn't be going the wrong way so much if all the road signs didn't say <---- DARK SIDE ---->

While we do have the established game, to bring new people in we might start a new campaign. Depends on what people would want to play.

Particularly if people want to play Jedi we would probably want to start either well before the fall of the old Republic or even possibly in the New Jedi Order

9. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Good luck, guys. The game is awesome and addictive. If you can get a regular game going then I'd be jealous as we're hurting for players up here in Edmonton. Maybe some time you guys are up here you could join us for a session. ;)

10. Eric_Nevera

Eric_Nevera Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2005
    The residend Imperial pilot of the game checking in... And yes, we've seen what happens when someone give into the dark side of book addiction. I won't name any names about a certain other player in our group and a rather amusing/scary display of unbridled spending on eBay.

But yes, between Tal and Kosmic's mountain of books, my hoard of dice, and other members' contributions, we're well equipped. So don't let lack of these items deter anyone if you're interested in joining. It'd be great to add some new blood to the game.

11. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Are you sure you're all set?

How about pencils?

Got enough pencils?

Are you sure?

12. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Well I would be interested in trying and seeing how this is played. As I have never played this before. I think I will need some instruction.

13. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Is it like one of those ongoing games? What do you do?

14. b-wingmasterburnz

May 27, 2004
    How often do you guys play? If it's just a once a week or less deal, I'd be up for joining.

15. Talmerith

Dec 2, 2005
    We do have an ongoing game that has been running for about seven months now. We generally have one game a week, depending on how available the players are.

However as for getting new people involved I was thinking of having a "one-off" A singular night low level game. This would work well to introduce people who have not played before to the game mechanics. As well as let experienced people see how we run things. If people enjoy it and want to keep playing then we may either bring them into the established game or start a completely new campaign.

For the one-off we can either pre-generate characters for people or you can come with a character idea and build the character yourself.

If your interested in this just let me know and we will start figuring out a date.

16. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I might be up for building my own character. Sounds like it could be fun.

17. b-wingmasterburnz

May 27, 2004
    Sure, I'd be interested.

18. Talmerith

Dec 2, 2005
    Just to let everyone know I haven't forgotten about this.

The game will be set during the clone wars era and it will be on Sunday February 5th starting around 6:30pm. It will be at our apartment along Centre Street by McKnight

In the interest of simplicity we will be pre-generating characters for this (6th level). If you have any specific requests for what you would want for a character just let me know.

19. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    I am interested in learning. As I am new to this I am not sure what to pick for a character. Is Leia available or a female Jedi?

20. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    If it's set during the Clone Wars era, I'd say it's a fair bet that Leia would not be available.

21. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah! You can tell I'm a newbie...Is this one during the clone wars era? Talmerith maybe you can let me know what options I have since I have never played before. You can PM me if you like or I will see you in class on Tues. night.

22. Talmerith

Dec 2, 2005
    just so people know I'm not ignoring Lexial, I talked to her at lightsaber training.

Anyway if anyone else does want to get involved in the game please pm me and I will send you the address.
    I promise it's loads of fun ;-}

23. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, I REALLY DO want to get in on this, but I live in Banff, and my days-off are Wednesday and Thursday.

Well, have fun, everyone.

24. Talmerith

Dec 2, 2005

Hmm since I understand the pain of RPG depravation would it help if we ran the next one on a Wednesday night? I know it's a long way to drive, but if you would be up for it I'd do it.

25. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh heck YEAH!!!!! That would be sweet!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

For my FIRST ever chance at a traditional pen & paper RPG, you bet I'd make the trip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.