main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I'm usually at the independent film theater. I'm a huge indie junkie.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    There is a $1 theater here that shows movies like six months after they come out. =b

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's how I saw ROTS. Only it's $1.50 here; I saw it in August after it came out. I was dragged strongly cajoled to even see it in that theater. The first hour was worth the $1.50.

There are some movies that I'll pay full price in the theater for; I'll do it for all the Star Wars, LOTR and Harry Potter movies, and most of the comic book movies. I'd have a hard time replicating The Amazing Spiderman in the theater, and I do have a good system at home.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I can't remember the last time I went there. <<; My favorite $1 theater is or was (?) the Boyd's Drive in in Waynesville and actual drive in movie theater. The last movie saw there was The Nutty Professor though. <<;

5. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    *Spider-Man

Sorry, I'm a snob. :p

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, Spider-Man, not Spiderman. Haha. Reminds me of an episode of Friends where Phoebe keeps pronouncing it "Spiderman" like it rhymes with Snyderman or some similar name... like Spiderman is his last name or something.

Regarding theaters, as I said we saw Skyfall there and loved it. Some movies are worth that experience and some are not. That screen is larger than any I've ever seen in a house, and you can feel those speakers more than any I've heard or felt in a house. So if SithStarSlayer can actually replicate that at home then I salute him. :p

But we more often see movies at home too. The movies that we do see at the theater are these days more often family movies to see with the kids (although that has included stuff like TPM 3D, The Avengers, and The Amazing Spider-Man). And Groupon often has great deals on tickets to a couple local theaters too.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've got a pair of these:

[​IMG]

These little speakers hit hard enough, trust me. =b

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    You're also much further away from the theater screen than in a home. I know one guy who has a 30ft screen in his theater. ^:)^
    Probably won't max out a SPL meter in a commercial theater either. :D
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Here's the guy who has the 30ft screen, showing Star Wars. :D
    [​IMG]

fistofan1, eht13 and Seerow like this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I would love to have a projector and screen. -drools.-

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  10. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    In about a year, HD projectors will be a dime a dozen. You can get a HD projector and paint a 90" screen for less then a low end 50" plasma would cost as it is now. :eek:

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Really? At present a good DLP projector is like $1500usd. x.x;

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And in the future, we'll all have 3D TVs, and our kids will use Wii-Us and iPad Minis to learn instead of actual schools!

anakinfansince1983 and Seerow like this.
  13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    "We're doomed for sure."

14. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Here's one under $900 (It's less than $800 in cart) and another under $800. If you aren't afraid to go used, you can get a really nice projector for under $1k.

I don't know if they're still running this program, but Charleston county schools at one point were using iPads instead of books.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Cool. To bad its still outta my price range right now. -.-;

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

fistofan1 and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  17. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    If that was directed at the iPad thing, then yes, big facepalm. :p I'm pretty sure most of those iPads were never seen again. :oops:

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    iPad initiatives are popular in the school system where I work, but they're not replacing books.

Don't be too skeptical of the power of digital textbooks though; I think they're ideal in a lot of ways because they're more interactive than print books. But, you can't just thrust them onto a group of teachers and students with no instruction as to how to use them.

20. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    The high schools in my area give each kid an iPad. First year, 50 of them were stolen. That's $25,000 worth of tech.
    This is after years and years of buying expensive Apple laptops for each kid, down to middle school.
    People actually used laptops. Nobody does anything school-related on the iPads. They just game. And the thin, low profile of the iPads makes this easier to get by undetected.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  21. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    They decided to implement them in one of the worst parts of town. I think it was scrapped when they were all stolen.

22. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Of course.
    People already don't know how to write in cursive. In a lot of dystopian future books, no one knows how to write at all because everything is done with electronics.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    They make cases for the Kindle Fire that looks like composition notebooks.

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Just saw an iPad app for a 3D printer.

Can't wait until those things become mainstream, it could change how we shop/consume.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Relative to the size/space of my small ranch, yes... it is as clear and rumbles just as loud as in the theater. My sub is placed on the side of my main couch and the other five speakers all focus on it as well. Technology (like Acoustimass) lets the sound system itself, set up the room, but I prefer the long way and do it manually by ear. After I got into Sonar, I started studying acoustics in the military, twenty three years ago, so I've always had a badass entertainment system. I wont even talk about how much I've wasted on custom cars stereos. :p

And I do go to the movies, it just has to be something I really want to see.

eht13 and KenobiSkywalker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.