main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I'll stick with Akash's listing method. ;) Only counting movies I saw in a theatre, I saw 27 movies this year, one of which was an older film, so I won't count that, and I saw two additional 2012 movies on TV, as denoted by asterisk. Chances are I'll see Django Unchained and Les Misérables, and maybe even Lincoln in theatres as well.

No particular order other than vaguely matching release order, just by grade. I posted a short review for a good amount of these in Amph, in one thread or another (but mostly the "what was the last movie you watched?" thread), so I won't go into detail here. My grades should be a pretty good indicator of how much I liked each film.

A
    The Avengers
    Moonrise Kingdom
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Argo

A-
    Brave
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    The Secret World of Arrietty*
    Skyfall
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Silver Linings Playbook

B+
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Killer Joe
    Ted*

B
    John Carter
    The Hunger Games
    Prometheus
    To Rome with Love
    The Campaign
    The Expendables 2
    Dredd
    The Man with the Iron Fists

B-
    Men in Black 3

C+
    Dark Shadows
    Hope Springs

C
    American Reunion

D+
    Red Dawn (remake)

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
  3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    i just read the amazing spider-man issue 700 and im so shocked ..
    WARNING MAJOR PLOT DETAIL FOLLOWS!
    Click at your own risk. -Sx3
    Peter Parker dies :_|

Huyang likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You saw all those movies?! Good grief! [face_hypnotized] I usually only have time to see one or two a year!

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Same here, not to mention how expensive theaters are here.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've not seen either Ghost Rider film, so I can't offer my own opinion. I just recall both of them being almost universally slammed as being terrible. This is the first remotely favorable thing I've seen about it.

I was wondering how that was going to play out. A ballsy move, but at the same time I think a lot of the superhero lines are in desperate need of a reboot (or a non-reboot new beginning like they're doing with Superior Spider-Man). After 50 years of continuity in some cases, it's a bit intimidating for new readers with the exception of spin-off continuities like The Ultimates. If I bought 10 comic books a month, it'd still be 6-7 years before I was caught up.

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I saw most of them for $5 or at the $3 theater in Vancouver.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a lot of time off during the summer and our local theaters offer Monday-Thursday matinees for $5 in the summer months. I saw Brave and The Amazing Spider-Man that way.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Guess we need some different chains in FL or I just need to get farther from the attractions. It'll got me atleast $17 to see a movie around noon here. There aren't any mom and pop theaters left here, all the ones around here are the big stadium seating one and put them out of business and then the $1 theater is out of the way and shows movies already out on DVD. Honestly at that point I'd rather redbox the Blu-rays.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    $17 for a single ticket?

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yep. That's a single ticket here. You want popcorn and a drink, you'll spend $40 easy for a single person watching the movie. I think its because the theaters here are all the big fancy stadium seating ones and the prices are also jacked because I'm so close to the attractions.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Outrageous.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that's nuts. I paid $10 to see Lincoln and that was full price on a Saturday night. And all our theaters are AMC or Regal; there's a $1.50 theater at the other end of the county but I think it's a chain too.

Popcorn and a drink is about $6 for the cheapest package, which to me is still too high.

14. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    It's $10 here at most. $5-$7 matinees depending on the day. It would be like $15 for a 3D film.

I would not have any guilt for keeping my 3D glasses from one film (say Prometheus-3D) and then buying a regular ticket for the Hobbit but then going into Hobbit-3D with my 3D glasses :p

15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    The nice theater with the comfy seats in the next town over that i usually go to charges 6.50 for a bargain matinee these days...unless you go to the big psuedo-IMAX screen they have then they tack on $3 more. I usually eat before I go to a theater because the food just isn't worth it. (Though I will occasionally buy an ICEE)

I remember with fondness the days of my youth when bargain matinees were $3 and the tickets didn't have timestamps on them, so you could pay for one ticket and see the same movie however many times you wanted. It's the main reason why "The Rescuers Down Under" holds the record for me for most times seen in a movie theater at 27 times, because I was one bored kid with nothing better to do that holiday season and I'd spend my Saturdays there watching it over and over (and I actually really liked it).

AkashKedavra_93 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I give them a year before they bring Pete back. :p
    The second one has the advantage of being directed by Neveldine/Taylor, the brilliant team behind the Crank movies. Basically, they held nothing back with this movie, and Nic Cage was especially over-the-top. I wouldn't really call it a great film, but it was highly entertaining, a lot more fun than the first. Idris Elba was also great here.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    For comparison. I over exaggerated slightly. I paid $15.00 to see The Avengers the first time in Orlando proper. I paid $7.50 in Merritt Island to see it the 2nd time, which is nearer to the Space Center area.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    From today's edition of anakinfan's "WTF?" files: from what I just saw in Target, Tampax is selling "radiant" tampons.

Um, no. Just no. There is no way to market that time of month to look "radiant."

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Hey Talgus, thanks for saving me the trouble of having to read the entire issue.:mad:

:p

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think the marketing is more toward the radiant smell. =b

Radiant and U.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Seerow, I know how you feel. I mostly go to Melbourne to see films (because they actually come out on time there), and it's normally $18 as a student to see a film. Absolute rip-off. As such the only films I've seen at the cinema this year are TPM3D, Skyfall, TDKR and The Amazing Spider-Man. I want to see Les Mis and The Hobbit before the year is out, too.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    You're Australian, right? I remember Australians on another message board telling Americans to stop complaining about the price of things. The consensus seemed to be that everything was charged an arm and a leg over there relative to the U.S. Eighteen dollars is ridiculous. What's more it's nearly double what I'd pay in Michigan, and I'm surprised a theater in Florida would charge nearly as much in Seerow's case.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, the smell is, uh, radiant.

For your viewing amusement:

[​IMG]

The disco vagina jokes may commence.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its all the nearest ones. -shrug.- Its not nearly as expensive up in Daytona.

For ultimate protection experience put some sparkles in your vag. xD

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I have no guilt about keeping my 3-D glasses. I have special edition ones for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, The Phantom Menace, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. There is no way in hell I'm recycling those.

The most I've ever paid for a ticket was $17.50 and that was for The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX (notably I don't do IMAX very often).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.