main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For Such a Time as This (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, others - very AU) - Author's Note 6/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Title: For Such a Time as This
    Author: Master_Noi
    Timeframe: begins slightly pre-TPM timeframe
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, others TBA
    Disclaimer: The usual disclaimers apply.
    Summary: The Jedi Order has been disbanded for nearly 1000 years, but destiny has a way of catching up.

I hope to post at least once a week on this story. First post up shortly.

PM list:

VaderLVR64
    dianethx
    PadawanKitara
    Healer_Leona
    Jaira
    LadyLunas
    Independence1776
    Valairy_Scot
    Ascal_Elessar
    Gkilkenny
    obsessedwithSW
    DountCooku
    AngryWarrior
    Kivas
    LOBO
    Ganki
    Ice1605
    ratna
    Force_Chick
    nickenobi-nz
    Lolly_Tolly
    Resolutions

If you would like to be added, please let me know. :)

2. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Chapter 1

The young man pulled his long, sweeping coat more closely around his body against the chill of the winter day as a gust of wind blew across his body, lifting light wisps of hair. While Coruscant?s temperature was for the most part artificially regulated, it still had cold seasons. He shuffled a few more steps forward, keeping up the movement of the queue until he finally reached a kiosk. He handed the droid inside the necessary credit chips and took his place with a small group waiting to the side.

He was thankful today was colder as the wait would have been longer in warmer seasons. He stood apart from the others in the small group. He was alone, well-dressed, not exactly a tourist, but no one seemed to pay any attention. He smiled warmly at a shy little girl watching him, who grinned before scampering back to the protection of her mother?s arms.

After a short time, a petite woman came forward and asked the group to follow. They pressed through the main entrance of the structure before them into a foyer with vaulted ceilings and bright, glistening marble floors. There was a reverent silence about the room and the young man was filled with a sense of comfort and peace in its surroundings, as though it were home ? or should have been.

?Our tour begins here.? The woman raised her voice above the random whispers of appreciation and squeals and yells of young children that echoed through the spacious room. ?Please gather around.? She lifted her hands above her head and waved her fingers towards herself as though she were imaginarily pulling stragglers towards herself. The taps of shoes echoed throughout as each person closed around her. She waited until there was silence to begin.

?You are now standing in the main foyer of the ancient Jedi Temple. For many years, the Jedi knights served the Republic as guardians of peace. As most know, over nearly a millennia ago the Jedi Order went through a time of war with its enemy ? the Sith.?

The man tuned out the trite recitation. He knew the history well enough to know the words were racked with inaccuracies, but that wasn?t why he was here.

?The war with the Sith not only nearly drove the Jedi to extinction, but also devastated much of the galaxy. After the Sith were destroyed, the Jedi Order was disbanded. During the reformation that came after the Battle of Ruusan, it was deemed too dangerous by the Republic to have such a large number of highly trained Force sensitives. The Temple fell into ruins. Restoration began over 20 years ago through the work of several historical societies and it now stands as one of the most ancient structures on Coruscant.?

The young man shuffled through several more stops on the paid tour, straying near the outskirts of the group to avoid questions. The Room of a Thousand Fountains, its foliage and peaceful, bubbling pools re-created as accurately as possible from available records, was always a favorite of the crowds. The crèche, with its small beds and tables and chairs, was empty. In the silence, he could imagine the voices of dozens of younglings playing and learning. They finally came to the door of a large room with stacks of data storage devices. Desks and chairs with ancient terminals lined the corridors. This area was roped off ? no one was allowed to enter.

?This is the Temple archives. At the time of the Sith wars, the Temple had the most complete archive of information anywhere in the galaxy. Most of this information was transferred to the Senatorial archives after the Order was disbanded, but much of the information on the Jedi still remains in these walls.?

The group shuffled on and the young man allowed himself to fall behind and become separated from the rest of the tour group. He felt a sentimental tug to continue to the heights of the Temple spire and set foot in the grand Council chambers where the most respected of the ancient Jedi Order had led with wisdom, but he had other matters needing attention. After making sure he hadn?t been seen, he doubled back,

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh wow! :eek:

What an interesting concept! I can't wait to see where you take this!

4. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Very nice. You've caught me attention. One of the most unique AUs I've ever seen.

More soon!

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I too like the twist of it! Great job! :D Poor Obi having a dream of a zabrak [face_worried] That doesn't bode well...

Great start! I will watch out for this one with great interest! ;)

6. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    :eek: You started posting!!! (I was thinking you wouldn't start this for at least another week. This must mean that Wish is just about finished. :D )

This story idea is so terrific, I can't wait until this story really takes off!!! It is going to be very very good. :)

Love how you unfolded everything in the first chapter and how both the Jedi and the Sith are underground.

7. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow, great beginning, Noi! Very, very cool concept - I'll be very interested to see where you go with this. :)

Shaindl

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Such an interesting and original concept. You've changed a lot of things here, and wonderfully so, but the rhythm of their relationship is still written very well. :) I can't wait for more.

9. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow, this looks absolutely great. I come to really love your stories. They're always original and the characterisations are wonderful. You can see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship perfectly in this although the setting is so very different from the films. Can't wait for more.

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm so glad you've started posting this one!

I especially think having Qui-Gon as a history professor is very interesting indeed. With his live in the moment philosophy it's kind of interesting since a history professor would live mostly in the past :D

11. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    This is awesome! I rarely venture into the Saga boards, but I will have to now. Cool AU! So many questions . . .

It will be fun learning the answers!

12. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    Such an intriguing idea for an AU. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    A really cool idea and so intriguing. I wonder why the Jedi are in hiding... Loved that Qui-Gon is a history teacher.

Looking forward to more.

14. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice job, I love the concept. Qui-Gon as a history professor is way too reminiscent of Indiana Jones to not draw a smile. Should be interesting to consider the Jedi and Sith extinct in the same era...

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This looks like it will soon be heading to the top of my list :)

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm intrigued. :)

17. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, excellent. Qui's a history prof... :D

Your AU's practically quivering with possibilities...wonderful. Can't wait to see your next.)

18. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    VaderLVR - I hope it will be interesting. I have lots of ideas.

Kadi - Glad it caught your attention; hard to tell with AUs sometimes.

Kynstar - Poor Obi having a dream of a zabrak worried That doesn't bode well.. Dreams seldom bode well.

Jedikma - I think it's going to be fun.

Shaindl - I am having fun with the concept. I had to beat the bunny away so I could focus on finishing another WIP. Now I can focus.

LuvEwan - Thanks. I am trying real hard to keep them in character.

Indra - Thanks. What nice things to say!

Layren - I liked the bit of irony.

maychorian - Welcome to Saga! Kick off your shoes and hang out for a while.

TrinityDay - Thanks for reading.

diane - I wonder why the Jedi are in hiding. More on that as things progress.

Kylie_Jinn - I wasn't even thinking of the Indiana Jones connection, but that is fun.

Kitara - Thanks :)

obi_ew - :D

ithesock - Your AU's practically quivering with possibilities [face_laugh] Just something about that sounds neat.

Chapter 2

?Mum? ? Dad?? His voice sounded weak and hoarse to his own ears. He could barely hear it over the howling of wind in the background. He tried to look around, but could see nothing beyond a piece of metal arranged to provide some sort of shelter. He reached for his second-sight. They would come if he called for them, but his precious connection to the Force was hampered by the tendrils of searing pain coursing through his head. He couldn?t reach past it.

?Mum? ? Dad?? He yelled more loudly this time, choking between each word on the harsh smoke that clogged the air. The exertion consumed the rest of his energy and darkness crept in along the edges of his mind, but he made himself stay alert. He could hear the brisk scuffling of footsteps across the dirt.

The face that came into view was neither his mother nor his father, but that of an old friend. Tangled hair framed a bruised and swollen face which was caked with dirt and dried blood, that had flowed from a gash on his forehead and been wiped away. His nose was obviously broken.

?You?re okay Obi-Wan,? he said in hushed tones. ?Try to be still. You have a few cracked ribs and your leg is broken in two places. I set your leg and gave you something for the pain.?

?Master Qui-Gon, my head hurts,? Obi-Wan mumbled incoherently.

?I?m afraid there is little I can do for that, but I will do what I can.?

Obi-Wan felt the Jedi master?s large hand come to rest on the side of his face and the surge of warm currents of the Force which momentarily relieved the icy fire lacing through his mind. He relaxed and gained some clarity. He focused his eyes on the man hovering over him in concern.

?Where are my mother and father?? he asked hesitantly.

He saw Qui-Gon?s posture slacken and knew the answer before the words were spoken. ?They didn?t survive the crash, Obi-Wan.? He paused. ?They are one with the Force now.? Obi-Wan felt the comfort of the Force flow through Qui-Gon?s touch again. ?Your bonds with them were severed. I know it hurts.?

Obi-Wan felt a stinging sensation well up in his over-dried eyes. He tried to calm himself and hold back, not wanting to release the tears. But they came and he felt his body shudder, and he felt shame. He was thirteen years old ? old enough to finally be recognized as a padawan, and Jedi shouldn?t cry.

?It?s okay Obi-Wan.? Qui-Gon stroked a hand through the ginger locks plastered to the young man?s forehead. ?It?s okay.?

It was then that Obi-Wan noticed the paths worn through the grime on the Jedi master?s face, the trails tears had taken as they had fallen from the cerulean orbs now watching him. He was afraid to ask, and only a name came from his lips in a whisper.

?Master Kara??

The question was unexpected and a fissure opened in Qui-Gon?s composure. Obi-Wan watched as the large man?s body began to tremble

19. Elyia_Dooku

Elyia_Dooku Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2004
    Poor Obi :( loosing his family. But at least Qui was there for him. And Qui lost someone special too obviously at his reaction toward the lost Master.

Hey loved the aspect of Obi up for a Senatorial position. Man what a twist!! Obi not liking politics in the GFFA but here! VERY AU indeed! :D Great work!!

20. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    A secret Order of Jedi? And our Obi a senator? :eek:

You caught my attention! :D

21. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Sad about Obi-Wan's parents. :( It's good Qui-Gon was there to raise him, though.

So Obi-Wan is being offered a senate position?

And the Order will be meeting on Dantooine?

I can't wait for more. :D

22. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around having Obi-Wan as a senator. That's something I'd *love* to see.

23. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    I still say that it's 'quivering with possibilities' :D. Obi's going to be senator - I love that image - he seems so perfect for it, in this AU (raised by a history professor, too). And then, the entire Order is under wraps, and there'a whole secret movement going on...

Liked the way Obi tries to snatch the datapad from Qui too. :) Shows that they're on very good terms (only to be expected if Obi's been raised by him from 13.)

Great work!

24. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Ooooh. Verrry intriguing.

I liked the flashback into the past. Will we get more of these glimpses as the story continues? Cool to see Qui and Obi so close, even if they aren't openly Master and Padawan. Obviously Qui is his guardian, right? Old friend, indeed . . .

Obi-Wan in the senate. Yep, that should be very interesting to watch.

Of course this makes me wonder what other senators have managed to make their way into this AU.

Great job! Keep it up!

25. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This is so original and engrossing, Noi. I love every little twist you reveal.

The flashback was gutting. I really enjoyed the imagery and emotion you described, as well as the relationship that was forged between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

I am so loving this! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.