main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

forgotten moments of greatness

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by KnightWriter, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    What little sports gems shone brightly for a few days, and then were forgotten, but are still worthy of our memory?

i often think back to the middle of september, 1996, when roger clemens struck out 20 in a game for the second time, hideo nomo no-hit colorado in coors field and paul molitor hit number 3,000 on a triple, all in a 48 hour span of time.

another forgotten gem is the back to back 50 point games from antwan jamison, who outdueled kobe bryant and his own 50 in one of them.

there are many more, but i'll chime in later.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jamal Lewis' 295 yard, 2 TD rushing performance against the Cleveland Browns in 2003.

People will remember his 2000 yard season that year, but rarely that game, which was simply the most dominating rushing performance I have ever seen, and possibly will ever. Because it was against the Browns, one of the most boring football teams of all time, it seemed to get little exposure aside from that night's Sportscenter.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    you're joking right? You think people have forgotten about that game?

anyway, Josh McCown to Nate Poole... it seems everyone's already forgotten about that. :(

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, as a Ravens fan, I'm glad you haven't. Yeah, I thought the general consensus was that that game was forgotten after Lewis faded into obscurity between 2003-2005, with the jail time and poor last season.

Still, good to know.

And I'll never forget the McCown to Poole simply because of the reaction of the Vikings radio guy being played over and over again for the next few days. That goes in the same category as John Carney missing the PAT after the Saints made a miracle TD with no time left against Jacksonville, I believe, in an attempt to tie, the Saints play-by-play guy just about lost it after that.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sandy Alomar Jr. hits the game-winning homerun in his home ballpark in the All-Star game in 1997.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I remember that. ESPN replayed the play by play constantly. Made me feel sorry for Carney afterwards.

7. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Gazza's goal for England v Scotland Euro 96. Pure Genius!!

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    That goal will never be forgotten. One of the best ever scored at the old ground.

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    All the moments people with some kind of disability show us people without a disability how good they can do some kind of sport (for example, horse riding on a high level without having arms). Sometimes it is just unbelievable how good they are at their sport. But they get forgotten very fast (in the case that they get noticed at all).

10. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Much better than Ronaldinho's most recent effort.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    lol

EDIT: But yes. Mostly through context... but yes.

12. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    ...and the goal celebration...

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    hideo nomo no-hit colorado in coors field

I've never forgotten. I still have the L.A. Times Sports section from the following day saved somewhere in my townhome.
    :D

14. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

I sure haven't forgotten, although I'd like to:( Feels like that game was played just yesterday....

15. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Me too...me too...:(

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I've never forgotten. I still have the L.A. Times Sports section from the following day saved somewhere in my townhome.

coors field was all set to go a zillion years without a no-hitter, and it was done in less than three years. i doubt we'll see another one.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Me too ... me too ... :D

:p

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It was definitely Nomo's crowning achievement with the Dodgers. If we do see another one, it would be nice if a Dodgers pitcher threw it. It would be good karma.

19. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    LSU's bluegrass miracle at Kentucky

20. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Anthony. Young.

21. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    The 1972 Miami Dolphins: There year of perfection... Til this day, there has never been a team that has been it's equal. From top to bottom: the most dominating team that has ever been assembled. There no-name-defense was spectacular and there offense unwavering in the many tough games they played (especially the close game with the purple people eaters.) They were led by stars like: Nick Buoniconti, Larry Csonka, Larry Little, Bob Griese, Jim Langer, Paul Warfield, Mercury Morris, and the many other great players... In Route to back-to-back chapmionships: they were 32-2 in a span of two years. A feat that has never been duplicated since the Dolphins amazing run in 72-73. It's been three decades since there perfect season, and all though the bears, redsicks, and recently the colts have tried to duplicate perfection...they've all come up short. Making the 72 season all the more remarkable, and one that will likely stand the test of time (A feat that will likely never be matched again)... The 1972 Miami Dolphins: The greatest NFL team ever...

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    uh, that team is hardly forgotten, thanks in no small part to the team itself and the media. it's also more than just a moment/game/performance.

we hear about them every year.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That was a response the British press, once again, doing their damndest to undermine our attempts to win a competition.

24. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    "we hear about them every year."

No, not quite buddy... In Miami you might here about them all the time (else where I doubt it)... They were brought into the spot light last year due to the fact that the Colts were making a run at a perfect season (on there annniversary if I'm not mistaken.)... In years past there hasn't really been a lot of gossip about that team. The only time I've really heard them mentioned of, was on there 30th avnniversary and last year. Honestly other than those two times...I haven't really heard a great deal of gossip about that team. Even when some of the greatest teams are mentioned they are not giving alot of credit.

"I never thought the accomplishment has been treated properly in history. "The Forgotten Team," Buoniconti calls it, and that sounds right to me. The Lombardi Packers. The Steel Curtain Steelers. The 49ers of the 1980s. For some reason, those are the teams that seem to get history's first mention as the greatest ever. And, it's true, they were great teams with great achievements.

But were any undefeated for a season?

Did any go 32-2 en route to two Super Bowl titles?

Isn't that how you measure success?"

That's a quote from Nick Buoniconti... I agree with him. Alot of people don't give that team the credit it's due. Which is why I consider them a forgotten team in great moments in sports. There over looked "IMO". Take it for what it's worth becuase that's how I feel about it. Plus I know there's other players and fans that would agree.

25. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    It was very funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.